back to article Do you suffer from the shame of 'Scroll Jank'? Help is at your fingertips

Microsoft says it will fix "scroll jank" because Edge needs it and Chrome sorted it ages ago. The Register had not heard of it until Microsoft posted news of a fix coming to its Edge browser. A little searching later and we learnt that scroll jank is when a computer can't keep pace with a user scrolling down a web page. Users …

1. Neil Alexander

It's 2017 and scrolling using a trackpad on Windows is still frustratingly awful, even on their so-called "Precision Trackpads" which are typically anything but.

Apple perfected trackpads a decade ago. What's the hold-up, Microsoft?

1. TheVogon

"It's 2017 and scrolling using a trackpad on Windows is still frustratingly awful,"

Zero issues on any systems I own. And obviously most hardware / drivers in this space are not down to Microsoft!

Nb - for full track pad functions in Edge, you need to install the Mouse Gestures addin!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Zero issues on any systems I own."

Because you haven't used anything else in any serious capacity.

"Nb - for full track pad functions in Edge, you need to install the Mouse Gestures addin!"

I should just work.

2. wurdsmiff

What about scroll anchoring?

I find it more annoying that pages jump around like buggery as they load. Particularly on slower connections. I'm fed up with trying to click a link only for the page to shift causing me to click on an ad instead. Enabling scroll anchoring in Chrome has very hit and miss results.

1. getHandle

Re: What about scroll anchoring?

This! Very much this - especially on mobile.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What about scroll anchoring?

Thats what ad-blockers and noscript are for.

Adverts, it's always fucking adverts

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So

as it is in Edge, and Edge has the most stupid update mechanism on the planet; it should be available in 2019 as part of a 100Gb download.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: So

"as it is in Edge, and Edge has the most stupid update mechanism on the planet;"

Monthly predictable scheduled updates are sensible. Especially when it matters in an enterprise.

4. Little Mouse

Scroll Jank?

That name wouldn't be out of place in an episode of The Mighty Boosh.

1. Warm Braw

Re: Scroll Jank?

Obligatory.

5. AndrueC Silver badge
    Joke

“Edge does not fire wheel events when scrolling using the 2-finger scroll gesture on a Precision Touchpad.”

I've never known any Windows application respond to my two fingered gestures - and believe me I make a lot of them.

1. Primus Secundus Tertius

Like an ancient mariner programmer, I long for the simplicity

of the old mouse with buttons.

6. TrumpSlurp the Troll
    Paris Hilton

Scroll Jank

Sounds like some Dead Sea perversion - or a name for a band.

However my Filthy Jankers joke generator seems to be offline for essential maintenance at the moment. :-(

7. Chairman of the Bored

I thought this had something to do with drinking.

The Ol’ Janx Spirit Rhyme went: “Oh don’t give me none more of that Old Janx Spirit/ No, don’t you give me none more of that Old Janx Spirit/ For my head will fly, my tongue will lie, my eyes will fry and I may die/ Won’t you pour me one more of that sinful Old Janx Spirit”...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No one should suffer from the real shame...

Using the Microsoft Edge browser.

9. Ritchie

Microsoft Word documents

This is also a thing in Word. I'm editing a book with chapters in the hundreds of pages. My new Dell XPS laptop lacks a pointing stick, the first time I haven't had one since 1993, so I'm learning to use a touch pad. It works fine on long web pages with Chrome or Opera, but in Word when I start to scroll it always scrolls the wrong way for a bit then finally starts out in the right direction. This always results in losing my place, particularly in footnotes. I've tried reversing the scroll, to no avail. My workaround has been to use an external trackball when editing. Has anyone else seen this?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Workaround?

For Word fit the page to the screen width?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like