back to article Quentin Tarantino in talks to make Star Trek movie

Entertainment publication Deadline Hollywood has reported that cinematic enfant terrible Quentin Tarantino has pitched an idea for a new Star Trek film. Deadline's quoted sources who said Tarantino “has come up with a great idea” for a new instalment set in the re-booted Trek universe. JJ Abrams, who launched the re-boot, may …

1. kain preacher

The first R rate trek film. Are they going to use the N word? is Samuel L Jackson going to be in the film ?

1. Chris G

@ kain preacher.

My first thought for casting was Samuel Jackson as the baddie plusJohn Travolta as the skipper, Wesley Snipes and Michael Jay White as Klingon warriors,Hugh Laurie as the doctor and Eddie Izzard as a Vulcan.

A new voyage looking for psychedelic substances to expand the Galaxy's mind while killing aliens in green blood spurting slomo.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

My first thought for casting was Samuel Jackson as the baddie

My first thought for casting was Samuel Jackson as the baddie

You forgot about Michael Madsen - cutting Farengi ears off while whistling a tune.

1. MyffyW Silver badge

Re: My first thought for casting was Samuel Jackson as the baddie

I vote for Amanda Plumber as the ships Empath:

"Any of you f##ing [species] move, and I'll execute every motherf##in' last one of you."

2. chivo243 Silver badge
          Coat

Re: My first thought for casting was Samuel Jackson as the baddie

@ Voland's right hand

My first thought was a vulcan's ear... just because ferengi came later...

My coat, I think you can guess what is in the pocket.

3. Jedit Silver badge
          Boffin

"Michael Madsen - cutting Farengi ears off while whistling"

That's not going to happen. It would take the entire length of the movie.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
            Devil

Re: "Michael Madsen - cutting Farengi ears off while whistling"

"oo-mox" while cutting, for blatant S&M reference

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Oo-mox

2. JeffUK

Re: "Michael Madsen - cutting Farengi ears off while whistling"

You could cut to it throughout the film whenever you need a little comic relief

2. Blake St. Claire

> Hugh Laurie as the doctor

I'd rather see David Tennant or Peter Capaldi.

1. MyffyW Silver badge

I'd pay to see Peter Capaldi reprising his Malcolm Tucker role aboard the TNG-era Enterprise:

"Ferengi! More like Snow White does seven dwarves. Rules of f#cking acquisition you say? Have you and Dick Twattington f#cked all the I's and fisted all the T's on the latest Private Finance Initiative?"

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
          Trollface

> Hugh Laurie as the doctor

I'd rather see David Tennant or Peter Capaldi.

Dr. Who + Star Trek crossover. Heh.

With plenty of hookers. and blackjack. and Daleks.

1. Blake St. Claire

> Dr. Who + Star Trek crossover. Heh.

No, not really what I had in mind. More for having a laugh at the expense of the culturally ignorant over on this side of the pond; who don't or won't get the joke.

> With plenty of hookers. and blackjack. and Daleks.

Hookers and blow: good. Daleks: bad. See above.

2. annodomini2
            Terminator

With plenty of hookers. and blackjack. and Daleks.

So you're adding Futurama to the mix?

3. Semtex451
        Facepalm

@Chris G - John Travolta?? Have you forgotten Battlefield Earth already?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Have you forgotten Battlefield Earth already?"

It took a lot of effort and some strong booze, but, yes, I had. You bastard!

1. TRT Silver badge

Re Have you forgotten Battlefield Earth already?

*reaches for bottle of ret-con*

2. Kiwi
          Pint

@Chris G - John Travolta?? Have you forgotten Battlefield Earth already?

I had.

You bastard.

Where's the mind bleach....

4. kain preacher

Samuel as the Klingon ?

What Wesley Snipes as the tax avoiding villain ?

1. JeffUK

Wesley Snipes vs Wesley Crusher, Ideally something akin to the Subway fight scene from Blade

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Wesley Snipes vs Wesley Crusher,

Yes, put Whil Wheaton in it, definitely!

5. BillG
        Thumb Up

Respect

Tarantino has a respect for classic TV. Jokes aside, I can actually see him doing justice to Star Trek and honoring TOS.

6. Chemical Bob

Have Robert Rodriguez direct it. He usually manages to find a way to get Quentin Tarantino killed in his movies.

The way Q.T. died in Planet Terror would be a good starting point...

1. TRT Silver badge

Samuel L Jackson in Star Trek

"I sense a plot to destroy my brothers. The Dark Side of the Federation challenges the Chancellor.

We must move quickly if the alliance is to survive. The oppression of the Klingons will never return! You, my lord, have lost!"

7. acid andy
        Megaphone

"My first thought for casting was Samuel Jackson as the baddie plusJohn Travolta as the skipper,"

No, has to be Kiefer Sutherland for Captain. He was born for it. He even looks quite a bit like Shatner did (strangely they're both Canadian as well). And he'd pull off the cold, violent Trek that would surely result.

2. The Man Who Fell To Earth Silver badge
      FAIL

The recents Treks are crap. So he can't make the franchise worse.

The recent Treks (movies & TV) are just crappy run-of-the-mill action flicks, rather than character driven. So Tarantino making a Pulp Trek or Kill Bill Trek really would not be new. About the only "new" thing he could add would be the n-word, a Ferengi Unchained perhaps.

1. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge
        Trollface

Re: The recents Treks are crap. So he can't make the franchise worse.

By "recent" I assume you mean everything from TNG onwards (inclusive).

1. TheDillinquent
          Facepalm

Re: The recents Treks are crap. So he can't make the franchise worse.

Er.. I think he means all the post Jar-Jar Abrams crap plus the two most recent TV series.

3. TheVogon

Nah - Simon Pegg as the baddy would be a way better call...

1. MrXavia

"Nah - Simon Pegg as the baddy would be a way better call..."

that would be brilliant, Scottie goes rogue!

1. TRT Silver badge

Simon Pegg, Dr Who / Star Trek fusion.

The Editor and Mr Sin take on Captain Kirk... Ooh! Ooh! Mirror, Mirror universe story. YES!

Bad Scottie, Beardy Spock.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

N word

No, but when you see Tarantino show up on screen be prepared to learn the racial term for a Klingon ca. stardate 1300.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

English mother fucker do you speak it ?

Capt no he does not and our universal translator is not working

3. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Did you see a sign in my front yard...

Saying dead Klingon storage ?

No ?

You know why ?

Because storing dead Klingon's ain't my f*cking bussiness !

1. Jason Hindle

Re: Did you see a sign in my front yard...

You got itty bitty bits of Klingon brain all over the back of my shuttle!

4. Jason Hindle

Well Discovery has the occasional swearing

And other things that might look out of place in the usually quite wholesome federation. I'm told hardcore Trekkies hate it...

For a Tarantino movie to work, it would have to have Jackson in it (and perhaps an infestation of some kind of poisonous space snake). "Pass me my phaser. It's the one with bad mother------ written on it".

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Well Discovery has the occasional swearing

I don't even consider myself a hardcore Trekkie, but do you know why hardcore Trekkies hate Discovery? Because until then it had an optimistic vision of the future. Even Seth MacFarlain's effort is better to watch than Discovery.

Star Trek: Discovery could have done well enough if it were called something else and not trying to fit into a universe it's not made for.

And if Tarantino gets to make a ST film then we might as well stick a fork in Star Trek because it's done.

1. Mongrel

Well that and the magic mushroom drive, that's when I turned of with a hearty "Screw you and the giant Moss Pig you rode in on"

2. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

"Because until then it had an optimistic vision of the future."

I admit, I was calling it Star Trek: Doom for a while. (That, I would have watched. But they didn't stick with it.) But if you think Discovery is pessimistic you need to meet a real pessimist. And I think it might settle into something more closely resembling the original series when it resumes -- Lorca is about as close as we've come to Kirk; his ambition is more naked and he lacks self depreciating wit, but take him out the war and who knows.

1. The Average Joe Bloggs

I like Discovery, and I will continue to watch it

1. MJI Silver badge

I like them as well and will continue driving mine.

Even though I swear at it.

3. JohnFen

"And if Tarantino gets to make a ST film then we might as well stick a fork in Star Trek because it's done."

Personally, I think Star Trek has already hit that point a couple of movies ago. Tarantino can't kill a corpse. Maybe he can't resuscitate it either, but it might be worth a shot.

1. Captain DaFt

Maybe he can't resuscitate it either, but it might be worth a shot.

I actually think it might work iffff:

It's not about the Federation.

IMHO Tarantino would be an excellent choice as director for a Star Trek movie focusing on the Klingon Empire and its interactions with other species.

It's a big galaxy out there, the Federation can't be everywhere for cryin' out loud!

4. Mark 85

And if Tarantino gets to make a ST film then we might as well stick a fork in Star Trek because it's done.

Since Roddenberry died, the creativity and standards are gone. Corporate execs now run things and that just means one thing... they want profit no matter what. So they'll grab anything they can that has "Star Trek" in the title. So yes, ST was done some time ago but didn't know it.

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Star Trek: Discovery

I prefer the retro-remake, Star Trek: Very Disco.

Get down, get down... n' boogie.

1. Captain DaFt

Re: Star Trek: Discovery

I prefer the retro-remake, Star Trek: Very Disco.

Get down, get down... n' boogie.

Star Trek 2, Electric Boogaloo? ☺

5. Sgt_Oddball

So you never watched babylon 5 then... note there's a much more belivable future where nobodies a saint and everyone's working an angle.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Yes, I watched B5 and DS9/Voyager alongside each other back in the day.

They were both different visions of the future, I liked them both, and nobody tried to make another series set in their universes which was so out of place it was jarring... until now of course.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Jason

"For a Tarantino movie to work, it would have to have Jackson in it (and perhaps an infestation of some kind of poisonous space snake)."

Don't forget the non-linear timeframes. It needs to jump back and forth so many times that eventually you'll stop paying attention to the movie and more so to figuring out when the stuff you're watching happened.

I first saw this in Kill Bill and I thought it was different. Then I saw Sin City and well, it got boring ;)

Re: @Jason

Kill Bill - the whole 'O-ren' sequence. And Lucy Liu. Yum! Throw in some animation to tell the back story.

/me wonders if Lucy Liu would make a good Romulan... one who'd been repeatedly abused by the Klingons since she was 10 years old, and by the time she was 12, she'd killed over 1,000 of them (and eaten their livers, with some fava beans and a nice chianti).

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: @Jason

"/me wonders if Lucy Liu would make a good Romulan... one who'd been repeatedly abused by the Klingons since she was 10 years old, and by the time she was 12, she'd killed over 1,000 of them (and eaten their livers, with some fava beans and a nice chianti)."

I like that idea!

3. Reue

They hate it because it's terrible, not for the occasional swearing. As above poster suggested; it may have been better had it not tried to fit into the Startrek universe but as it is it's just a terrible mismatch with poor acting and plot.

1. DJSpuddyLizard

it may have been better had it not tried to fit into the Startrek universe but as it is it's just a terrible mismatch with poor acting and plot.

Wait a minute.... are you suggesting Trek usually has good acting and plot?

What strange alternative universe are you from?

4. Anonymous Blowhard

"Pass me my phaser. It's the one with bad mother------ written on it".

Phaser?

As in "Phaser, the very best there is. When you absolutely, positively, got to kill every motherfucker in the room; accept no substitutes"...

5. streaky

I'm told hardcore Trekkies hate it

Nope, we love it.

Check reddit trek nerdville for double confirmation. It is, as a matter of fact, epic.

Only people who hate it are pretenders, people who have probably never even seen it.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You're no Trekker Kid, you are a trekkie.

Discovery is a mess and an insult to Gene Roddenberry's Legacy.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I like Discovery, It's good and if you haven't watched it all then please keep your opinion to yourself, if you have then your opinion is valid.

I think what people fail to understand is that the world changes, people change, the way TV and Film is done over the years changes (lens flare...)

I take myself as an example, I've enjoyed all the star trek series and even the reboot. I remember when next generation first came out and people hated it but by the end everyone was fine with it.

My favourite start trek is Voyager, lets take that apart, I grew up watching dungeons and dragons and Ulysses 31 so the narrative aligned with those.

Everything changes, deal with it and just enjoy the narrative without trying to compare it to something from your own era.

This is of course my own opinion, feel free to have your own.

1. Mooseman Silver badge

"remember when next generation first came out and people hated it but by the end everyone was fine with it"

No. It was still crap.

2. streaky

an insult to Gene Roddenberry's Legacy

BPLZ.

2. Long John Brass
        Alien

I watched the first 3 episodes and gave up.

Unless they put a bullet phaser beam through that bloody awful first offer's head; I'm not interested. Would much rather they killed her off instead of her captain.

5. Teiwaz

Wasn't Quentin Tarantino in the Original Trek anyway....

https://13thdimension.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/startrek_hippies.jpg

Yeah, I know, doppleganger....

The way to Eden

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

YEAH! DO IT M*THERF&CKER!!!

Anything has got to be better than bloody Abrams and his irritating and persistent inability to finish a story.

1. Blank-Reg
      Trollface

Re: YEAH! DO IT M*THERF&CKER!!!

But, think of all the lens flare!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: YEAH! DO IT M*THERF&CKER!!!

If you read the article, Jar Jar Abrams is still in the loop. Don't know if they are still paid by Disney to destroy Star Trek so thoroughly to ensure only Star Wars hangs around.

I stopped watching ST after "First Contact" - it was clear it was taking a direction to appease a public who wants zombies and phasers blasting around. Not surprised now they may want Tarantino to show what a bat'leth could actually do...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Working titles,

Picard Fiction.

Uhuru Unchained.

Sulu Romance.

Inglorious Bajorans.

1. MonkeyNuts.Com

Kill Bill (Shatner) Volume 1

Natural Borg Killers

My Best Ferengi's Birthday

The Hateful Eight, of Nine

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

From Dusk till Gorn.

2. TRT Silver badge

Pulp Science-fiction, obviously.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

F&CK ABRAMS!!!!

I mean... Kirk SLOUCHES. Plus he's cross eyed.

9. AndrueC Silver badge
    Joke

I double dare you m*therf*cker

I believe that what Kirk actually shouted at that motorist was "Double dumbass on you". But I'll grant that your version adds a certain edge to the dialogue that was somewhat lacking in Star Trek IV:The Voyage Home

:)

1. Teiwaz

Point missed

I double dare you m*therf*cker

I believe that what Kirk actually shouted at that motorist was "Double dumbass on you". But I'll grant that your version adds a certain edge to the dialogue that was somewhat lacking in Star Trek IV:The Voyage Home

I've not watched that movie in a decade, but I think part of it was Kirk considered himself more familiar with the period he found himself in, certainly more than Spock, but he didn't know how to use the 'colourful language' in the parlance of the time either....

The [even] more 'colourful language' is fine, but he'd have to get swearing wrong for the original joke to not be missed in the eagerness to get more sweary....

Coat

Re: Point missed

"Kirk considered himself more familiar with the period he found himself in, certainly more than Spock"

Spok has a good excuse. After all, Spok had done "a little too much LDS" back in the 60's.

/me grabbing coat, now

10. Voland's right hand Silver badge

few substances stronger than alien liqueurs

You forgot water. Plain, good old water. Resulting in Data being "FULLY FUNCTIONAL"

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: few substances stronger than alien liqueurs

This is not alien liquor, it's f*cking Cristal.

1. Chris G

Alien licker?

I could post a link but it would definitely be NSFW.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

We've already been treated to that in Discovery.

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: We've already been treated to that in Discovery.

Cruising the outer rim?

11. JLV

Think of all the glorious slow-mo splatterfest mayhem possible with the ever-disposable Redshirts.

1. FozzyBear

My guess is if Tarantino directs after the first scene all shirts will be red to some extent

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: all shirts will be red to some extent

Number One, assemble an away team. Take Mr Blue, Mr Yellow and Mr Red.

12. find users who cut cat tail

Whether the result can be called Star Trek or not, at least it should be an *interesting* movie. You know what I am talking about...

13. Franco

I'm now thinking Deep Space 9 would have been a much better show if Tim Roth and Amanda Plummer tried to hold up Quark's a few times.

14. OzBob

"Discovery" isn't Trek

It's just "Torchwood" in a different setting (but credit for the gay characters and the ginger minger)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "Discovery" isn't Trek

With Discovery they were aiming for something Game of Thrones-like, but instead of t^ts and dragons we've got t^ts and mystical autism (Vulcanism)... Enjoying "The Orville" ie TNnEXTG.

15. Wolfclaw
    Stop

No thanks, don't like him as a director/producer/writer or as a person defending a friend who is an alleged power abusing, rapist, sex predator, who should be locked up for a long time if found guilty !

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

With that kind of logic you would never watch a movie with Kevin Spacey in it ever again.

2. #define INFINITY -1

"if found guilty"

I don't think that matters anymore - your career is doomed if someone 'higher' than you points a finger at you. Then the media-machine takes over and no-one will ever admit to liking your work even if acquitted.

1. Mooseman Silver badge

"I don't think that matters anymore - your career is doomed if someone 'higher' than you points a finger at you. Then the media-machine takes over and no-one will ever admit to liking your work even if acquitted."

It's not new, sadly. Remember what happened to "Fatty" Arbuckle? this is the age of trial by media apparently - sense and justice are cast aside. IF he is found guilty then fine, throw the book at him, but he has to be found guilty of more than accusation and rumour.

16. Trollslayer
    Thumb Down

No

If he wants another vehicle there is a car going over the cliff.

17. edge_e
    WTF?

megaplex-friendly date-night blockbusters

Star trek and date-night? really?

18. Anonymous Coward
    Gimp

That I want to see, granted Tarantino seems to have lost some of his originality (Hateful 8) but my goodness does the Star Trek franchise needs something injecting into it.

The less said about that steaming pile of crap, Star Trek Discovery, the better.

Spock, bring out The Gimp.

1. Not also known as SC

I've never even heard of Star Trek Discovery. Is it only shown in the States or is it on in the UK too?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

>I've never even heard of Star Trek Discovery. Is it only shown in the States or is it on in the UK too?

See here

1. Not also known as SC
          Pint

@AC I take it then that you didn't know either? Wouldn't it just have been easier to type Netflix? :-)

For taking the time to reply, no matter how dumb my question was, have an early Friday reward. ---->

19. MJI Silver badge

Am I alone in thinking

Kirk IS Shatner.

The JJA Enterprise looks older and cruder than the original.

Best thing about JJA Trek is the casting of Spock, the one thing got right, Quinto was good, even Nimoy approved.

20. adam payne

Tarantino + Star Trek = something i'd pay to watch.

21. kain preacher

I think this would work better if he was direction a DS9 movie.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"I think this would work better if he was direction a DS9 movie."

Shouldn't that be DS69 ?

22. Sgt_Oddball
    Alien

Do You Know..

What they call a quarter pounder in the delta quadrant?

Coat

Re: Do You Know..

"What they call a quarter pounder in the delta quadrant?"

"Royal F***up" with cheese?

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If you've seen one Tarantino film, you've seen them all. It's a shame really, but it kind of ruins re-watches of Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Please, no.......

As if the JJ Abrams movies weren't vapid and mindless enough already.

25. unwarranted triumphalism

Ins't it time for this franchise to be put down?

It's been, what, 50 years? Time to let it go.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ins't it time for this franchise to be put down?

http://www.bridgesforsale.co.uk/

It's an actual website btw.

Thank you! Proof you can buy anything on t'internet @-)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Probably, when you can't come up with any good idea. But Hollywood is so empty of good ideas today it's beating any old successful ones to death, and beyond...

"Probably, when you can't come up with any good idea. But Hollywood is so empty of good ideas today it's beating any old successful ones to death, and beyond..."

And yet, when it comes to SF and Fantasy at least, there is such a range of books, stories and series out there that, with current CGI, are now doable. But no, Hollywood want's to stick to the same old franchises, again and again. And again!

26. Packet

Spock quoting a Vulcan version of Ezekiel 25:17?

I'd pay to see that

"the path of the logical man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men..."

27. GX5000
    Facepalm

Final Nail in the coffin as it were

You have to laugh as they take everything you grew up with and tear it to shreds...

Devil

Re: Final Nail in the coffin as it were

You have to laugh as they take everything you grew up with and tear it to shreds...

It's rule 99. It *must* be so!

"Even if it canNOT be re-written, made darker and edgier, get crammed full of unnecessary profanity and sexuality and/or become politically charged, and THEN get re-re-released, tailored SPECIFICALLY for the latest generation under 20-something, it WILL be... it WILL be!"

(yeah I just made that one up)

28. Alan W. Rateliff, II

Time traveling script writing

If they boldly go where no writing team has gone before and produce an edgy Trek capable of attracting the top-shelf actors Tarantino often secures, thereby breaking out of the SciFi ghetto, it will be an achievement to rank with Mr Scot's time-travelling invention of transparent aluminium.

My first thought was, yeah, time traveling BACK in time, but that was quickly thrown away as inaccurate. See, there was a better time for movies. A time when Hollywood would not think about taking timeless classics, stuffing them in anyone's mouth who had a name, letting them chew on it, then serving up whatever got spit out.

It was "edgy" when Data said "oh, shit" as the Enterprise began its uncontrolled fall toward a planet. Even Counselor Troi's outfits pushed the limits (with nipples at least once.)

But F-bombs in Star Trek and all the touchy-feely dreck which has infected the franchise of late does not seem to have an edge to me. It seems like reaching low into the barrel of shock value to remain relevant when you already have something well before its time. This lacks edge, more like a blunt end. Perhaps SNL skits or Family Guy cut-aways, but not Star Trek cannon.

I also cannot buy into this "SciFi ghetto" thing, either. There is some "edgy" SciFi, at least for its day, out there, already, which never managed to "break out." Tarantino may be able to make something which falls under a sub-genre, his own corner of the SciFi universe, but to create SciFi which breaks out of SciFi is not SciFi.

If Tarantino gets the helm I will observe the way I have done with STD (snigger): catch bits and pieces on YouTube and see if anything piques my interest. Thus far, while I could mark it a little above average on story line, technology, and effects, it does not feel like Star Trek but more like its own stand-alone show.

inb4 "old fart" "cranky grampa" "out of touch" "unhip"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Time traveling script writing

That's "canon" </pedantic>

Full points for the STD (giggity)

1. Alan W. Rateliff, II
        Happy

Re: Time traveling script writing

RE: "canon" vs "cannon": Yup, you are correct, which is why when fingers fly fast it is often best to have someone else proof your writing.

29. JohnFen

Might be an improvement

He couldn't really do any worse than Abrams.

30. This post has been deleted by its author

31. Andromeda451

great

Mr. T will seriously eff up Star Trek ala Disney and Star Wars.

1. Franco

Re: great

When you refer to Tarantino that way all I can hear in my head is a Klingon being told to quit his jibber jabber.

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: great

Mr Barclay... please escort Ambassador Baraccus to his shuttle craft...

I ain't gettin' on shuttle craft. Double with that fool.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon