back to article Apple sprays down bug-ridden iOS 11 with more fixes

Apple has posted an update to address a host of bugs in its iOS mobile software. The iOS 11.2 update patches both security and stability bugs in the iPad/iPhone firmware. It will also improve the wireless charging for new iPhones and add a payments feature to Siri and Messages, Apple promises. The bugs addressed in iOS 11.2 …

1. macjules

'one that caused the calculator to return incorrect results if numbers are entered too quickly'

Bloody hell, I thought that just was me being ever so slightly pissed.

PS: is that going to be Shkreli's defence? "The iPhone made me do it"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 'one that caused the calculator to return incorrect results if numbers are entered too quickly'

Only fails when you are trying to work out if $999 is worth it for a phone.

2. harmjschoonhoven
      WTF?

Re: 'one that caused the calculator to return incorrect results if numbers are entered too quickly'

The calculator even gives the wrong result for 2+3. You learned the answer to that in school, didn't you?

1. macjules

Notice that 2 + 3 - 3 x 2 = -1 by Apple.

1. trevorde Silver badge

err, that's correct

2. Nick Ryan Silver badge

Notice that 2 + 3 - 3 x 2 = -1 by Apple.

-1 is the correct answer as the calculation is effectively 2 + 3 - 6; which is -1. Operator precedence is something that demonstrably a lot of people don't grasp having seen so many of the facebook click-bait articles catching people out with it. The standard android calculator also produces the same correct answer.

1. Simon Harris

That's better than the calculator in Windows 7.

That gives 4 in 'Standard' mode and the correct -1 in 'Scientific' and 'Programmer' mode. I like my calculators to give the same correct answer whether or not they show all the buttons.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Operator precedence is something that demonstrably a lot of people don't grasp having seen so many of the facebook click-bait articles catching people out with it"

Thats the kind of demographic Apple want - people so dumb and useless at maths that they can't even get basic primary school level arithmetic correct and have no chance of figuring out that they really can't afford the latest overpriced underspecced iToy Cupertino are trying to flog them with cliched "lifestyle" ads.

3. Mat

@macjules - Er yeah... Multiplication and division takes precedence over addition and subtractions so 2+3-6 *should* be -1..

2. Triumphantape

Interesting isn't it

That a company built on slave labor, over priced toys and sitting on a pile of cash bigger than Mt Everest can't seem to get it right.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Interesting isn't it

"That a company built on slave labor, over priced toys and sitting on a pile of cash bigger than Mt Everest can't seem to get it right."

For all his faults Jobs actually cared about the end product. Todays apple only cares about the bottom line and design and quality control is slowly heading out the window. If Jobs had still been around there is no way in hell he'd have released a $1000 phone with that ugly useless notch at the top (or even a $1000 phone at all) or have allowed some recent shoddy software upgrades out.

2. markymarc

Yep, Samsung are innocent:

Working Conditions

There has been evidence that Samsung require their workers to stand for up to 12 hours, and frequently suffer verbal and sometimes physical abuse. There have also been suggestions of serious age and gender discrimination.

One worker reported that she ‘slept about two or three hours a night’ during a three month rush prior to the release of the Samsung Galaxy tablet. She also claimed she had ‘to stop breastfeeding her three-month-old infant to keep up with schedule.’

1. Tigra 07
        Coat

The three-month-old infant probably didn't have time to breastfeed anyway as they'd have been late for their job at Foxconn making iphones.

3. Borg.King
    Facepalm

11.2 screws up camera focus w/ some magnetic latch cases

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/11-2-and-iphone-8-plus-camera-focus-issue.2092580/

Hold off on that upgrade. I'm one of the unfortunate few who are seeing this problem.

1. David Shaw

Re: 11.2 screws up . . .

11.2 also helpfully wouldn't connect to any of my WiFi access points

"incorrect password for network "fluffywhatsits"

even tho' I struggled to enter the ~23 random digit key verifiably correctly, several times

Cured, seemingly, via a simple General/Reset/Reset Network Settings and its restarts and the mobe started to behave

11.2 does tell me that when I turn OFF my Wi-Fi it isn't, gives me a pop-over filled with info - it still doesnt address environmental profiling / the supermarkets that are alleged to be using device Wi-Fi & BT MAC addresses, MAC LUT, then in some cases use dynamic on-shelf pricing - charging JesusPhone users a bit over the odds, do I need to keep a landfill android for my trips to ASDA or Carrefour?

and by the way, the bug, dubbed "I Am Root" is possibly going to come back when we get the macOS 11.3.2 upgrade, with its inevitable nice new emojis

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Does IoS stand for

Internet of s**t?

Does Diane Abbott own an Apple Device, which she uses to do financial calculations?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Does IoS stand for

"Does Diane Abbott own an Apple Device, which she uses to do financial calculations?"

Well ... when questioned recently about how the figures for Labour spending plansadded up John McDonnell (Shadow Chancellor) explained that he didn't have the figures to hand as "we have iPads for that sort of thing" ... so the answer seems to be yes!

1. Vince

Well as the iPad doesn't include a calculator out of the box (still no idea why, although given current issues it might not be so bad) it could explain a lot!

1. ThomH

Maybe they use each iPad like an abacus by sliding apps between pages of the home screen? It'd be inline with the rationality of almost every other IT project ever undertaken in Westminster.

5. Hud Dunlap
    FAIL

With an annoying feature.

It keeps trying to get me to setup Apple Pay. The settings icon still has that red circle with a one it. I tap it and it says " finish setting up your iPhone set up Apple Pay"

No I don't want to do that.

Can we get a former apply fanboy icon?

1. David Shaw

Re: With an annoying feature.

you can make that <!> go away by starting to set up apple pay (which might eventually be needed when all the ATM's have gone) and after a few seconds into the set-up procedure you can choose the "finish setting-up later' option in tiny font at the bottom of the screen, and then forget about it, until cashless society hits.

1. Hud Dunlap
        Thumb Up

Thanks. That did it.

2. agatum

Can we get a former apply fanboy icon?

I second that motion.

6. DCFusor

root as the password?

I thought it was root as the username.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: root as the password?

If you enter root twice as the password, that's the password too.

It's any string you enter twice.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

login: root

password: god

(saw this at an old workplace - serious, scout's honour)

1. My other car is an IAV Stryker
        Devil

Pitr from webcomic "User Friendly": "God, root, what is difference?"

7. This post has been deleted by its author

8. jms222

My calculator bug

A few years ago I posted a stupid calculator bug I noticed in programming mode after wasting too much time staring at some code I had written which was actually correct.

It was enter a large odd hex number, convert to decimal and hey presto it became even.

Just visited my bank, _almost_ set up a new payee as the sodding bank keeps (over months) forgetting them, messed around with the dongle and Safari crashed as it has a lot recently both on Mac and iPad. So have little faith in their technical ability and am slowly moving away from Apple now.

9. TRT Silver badge

Can you please...

stop trying to force me to upgrade my perfectly functional iOS10 device to this shit. PLEASE?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Can you please...

Why not think of it another way...

At least you have the option to upgrade. AFAIK, the majority of Android phones don't give you that.

but, I'm with you about resisting the upgrade. I'm waiting until the middle of January before taking the plunge with my iPhone. Hopefully by then IOS 11 may have settled down a bit more.

My other half's Android has had no upgrades for nearly two years apart from one carrier patch. Some of her essential apps are starting to complain about being unable to use the functionality in newer versions.

Sadly, it is a work phone and their policy is 3 years unless it breaks. I have offered to run over it with the car. So far she has declined.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

If it's any consolation Google have just fixed 47 bugs which you can get by buying a new phone.

1. The Boojum

The bugs or the fixes?

1. TRT Silver badge

iOS11 itself. I have too much which would be broken by 11 to upgrade - I want to permanently opt out of the upgrade but is that an option? No.

3. Packet

You need a Mac to create a profile that will then stop forcing you to upgrade.

This site walks you through it:

https://www.howtogeek.com/253325/how-to-create-an-ios-configuration-profile-and-alter-hidden-settings/

There were some public sites that allowed you to do this, but a couple I tried seem to be down at the moment. More's the pity. Be a good fellow and set one up, will you?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Calculator workaround

Grab yourself a box of apples...

1 apple + 2 apples etc

For more complex calculations we recommend using Kumquats.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Calculator workaround

For geometry or complex calculations I recommend square roots.

2. Korev Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Calculator workaround

For more complex calculations we recommend using Kumquats.

Now that's just sour grapes...

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Smug

About my once a month Android security patch and system app updates from the store.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Smug

About American's siphoning every last bit of my personal information to feed their advert publishing algorithms. Every movement, every website, every fucking key stroke. So, so so smug about that.

1. Dr Mantis Toboggan

Apple and Google have pretty much the same privacy policy, if anything apples has more ambiguities.

If you think that because you paid a £300 premium on your phone to not get profiled, then you are above and beyond your usual run of the mill apple idiot.

Please point out in either privacy policy where either apple or Goole log every keystroke, as we all know you just pulled that out of your backside...

I guess nobody also told you, Android device setup allows you to entirely opt out of google services, iPhone you have no choice, you are always apples bitch.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Unless things have changed recently, you have the option to opt out of iCloud on the iPhone. Updates and backups can be done with iTunes.

I really doubt the Play Services binary does nothing if you don't sign in. It will still probably send WiFi and cell tower info to Google without asking permission.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Pulled out my arse?

Would've been easier to find, which is probably why you think I'm making it up....

Settings > Language and Input > GBoard > Advanced > Share Usage Statistics, Share Snippets.

Settings > Language and Input > GBoard > Search > Predictive Search

But I'm supposed to trust them that "Share Snippets" means "just a tiny bit of snooping"? When they were "accidentally" slurping during street view and "accidentally" slurping PhoneMast positions off of every Android device? Fuck off.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Pulled out my arse?

Use Simple Keyboard which doesn't have Internet access, disable Gboard.

3. markymarc

Opt out on Andriod, ok

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/11/22/google_oracle_location_privacy/

And that's only from of a tip off.

Why is it always a war between brands, forget the petty differences as they are all as bad as each other.

Continues the brigade, mine is bigger than yours, no mine is bigger that yours...... Bit like Trump and Kim Jong Un...... Kids

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I thought some years ago, when I have the money I will get me an Apple device for user experience and safety.

Not anymore................

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Not anymore.......

I still use an Apple device despite its flaws and irritations. Because I've experienced the alternative.

Had it not been for these articles on The Register I would never have known about any of the problems; nor would I have suffered any ill effect.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"would never have known about any of the problems"

Try to use it sometimes, remove it from the glass case, and carry it around and perform usual tasks....

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Not anymore.......

And what is the alternative?? Please don't say a Android, as that is of one thing, its thousands of things. I would never buy a Samsung Device, I wouldn't buy a £100 phone either, but both are Android. There are however superb Android devices. LG, Sony and Google all make fine devices.

Thinking Android is one thing is a very common iPhone fanboy failing, they are simply too stupid to understand the concept it seems.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Not anymore.......

No, you're a fanboy!

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Jumping the shark?

I wonder if this is the point at which Apple start to lose it, as far as software goes. Leaving aside all the fanboyism and expensive-hardware-ism, they've historically been reasonably good at shipping software that mostly works. Both iOS 11 and OSX 10.13 (or whatever we are meant to call it, not OSX I know) seem to have really pretty serious quality-control problems though, which indicates, perhaps, something rotting in Apple. (Or, more likely, I have just conveniently forgotten the older releases.)

14. SpinkyMuffler
    FAIL

Apple be brilliant

Given that when you install the update on your iPhone/iPad you can no longer run and debug your apps from the current version of XCode on those upgraded devices I think that Apple should rename themselves Assle.

1. gnasher729 Silver badge

Re: Apple be brilliant

"Given that when you install the update on your iPhone/iPad you can no longer run and debug your apps from the current version of XCode on those upgraded devices..."

Please return your software developer license.

Yesterday, you could run and debug your apps with the latest beta version of Xcode. Today, you can run and debug your apps with the latest released version of Xcode (9.2).

15. Sam Haine

Does Tim need to spend a bit less on share buybacks and a bit more on software testing?

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I love Apple.

1. Tigra 07
      Trollface

RE: AC

I love lamp.

-Brick

2. agatum

I love Apple.

I loveD Apple.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don’t get it.

The calculator has worked passably well for some years now. What on Earth are Apple programmers doing fiddling with and breaking such basic stuff? It’s like Apple have outsourced the programming and QA to Microsoft. iOS is definitely getting worse and worse.

1. ThomH

Re: I don’t get it.

It looks to me like a reskinning in which the programmer was sufficiently inexperienced not to be aware of the default behaviour when using Core Animation. The issue is that the animation applied to the orange buttons (i.e. the operators) blocks input until it completes. A one-line fix.

Maybe they should have done something crazy, like QA testing?

18. Ian Joyner Bronze badge

Root - not a flaw in MacOS

This is not a flaw in MacOS. It was a flaw opened up in the 10.13.1 release. Before then it didn't exist. I clarified this with its discoverer, since experiments on my machine did not show up the problem. It was because it was very quickly patched and I already had updates installed.

Prior to this, root (the Unix all-powerful user) is disabled by default on MacOS (and OS X before). If you really have a use for root, you have to do a few things to enable it. Without root, no one can log in to it, but when enabled you can do things that only researchers and hobbyists might be interested in (not even developers generally need root).

So someone had temporarily broken the way this worked. The guy who spotted it reported it to Apple and it was quickly closed.

19. This post has been deleted by its author

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like