back to article Nationwide UK web bank and app take unscheduled nap

Nationwide UK’s online presence is anything but this morning, what with an unspecified tech infrastructure glitch that has prevented customers across Blighty from logging into their accounts or using ATMs. Sorry, Internet Banking & the Banking app are currently unavailable. We’re working to get them back up and running ASAP. …

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Terrible Interference To Santa's Universal Providing

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Downtime is the price you pay.

This is what happens when risk management is allowed to determine criteria for managing technical operations rather than solid engineering expertise. NW have moved from being under technical control to being under the control of risk managers. Once outsourced it will get worse, just look at the banks who already did this.

1. Lysenko

Re: Downtime is the price you pay.

Once outsourced it will get worse, just look at the banks who already did this.

Once? I thought Nationwide had been progressively outsourcing via CrapGemini and Computacenter for several years now? The latter definitely had a hand in the DC build on Greenham Common Air Base (as was).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Downtime is the price you pay.

I was outsourced in 2008.To BT. Under Nationwide the team I was in had 8 engineers and a manager and too much work. Under BT, we moved to 3 engineers, 4+ project managers and a whole host of BT "paperwork" overheads. And even more work that wasn't getting done.

I eventually managed to escape after my manager insisted I detail what I was doing in a month. The management couldn't tell me what my priorities were for the next week. And "whatever work is highest priority" wasn't a good enough answer. I said "if you can't tell me what I'm doing I'll do nothing" and hung up. And true to my word, in a month I sat in the office and did nothing. Mainly because I was about to leave and didn't care. But it was nice to be right. :-)

3. TRT Silver badge

How ...

... widespread is the disruption?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: How ...

Not that many in real terms. More than 1 is a failure for a firm of this size and importance to the economy of the UK.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

... widespread is the disruption?

Nationwide

1. TRT Silver badge

I blame Frank Bough.

4. Nick Kew

Works for me

Logged in just fine to check I have sufficient funds to cover the direct debit paying off my creditcard this week. Evidently not a prolonged outage.

Hypothetical: if I'd been in urgent need of cash and had had to resort to the desperate measure of using the creditcard in an ATM, would I have been able to get them to refund the cash-onna-creditcard charges?

1. Bloodbeastterror

Re: Works for me

Same here - working fine on my Android phone at 11:29 GMT.

2. Lysenko

Re: Works for me

Hypothetical: if I'd been in urgent need of cash and had had to resort to the desperate measure of using the creditcard in an ATM

Not hypothetical: having worked in quite a few Bank DCs I keep a grand in cash in a secure location[1] at all times.

[1] The fire safe in my office. If burglars get to that they'll be blagging a lot more than £1000 worth of computer equipment anyway.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Watching Down Detector for spikes...

....and copy & pasting users' comments. Tech journalism 2017!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Watching Down Detector for spikes...

Unverified users' comments, I should add. Maybe a piece of investigative journalism into the manipulation of Down Detector in order to negatively impact organisations reputation might be interesting. Might involve some actual work on the part of the journalist mind you.

6. Horridbloke
    Unhappy

AGAIN?!?

Nationwide seem to have had a lot of IT glitches over the last year or so. I moved to them from Lloyds about 15 years ago for the better customer service (not a terribly high bar) but I'm starting to think some backup plastic would be a good idea.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: AGAIN?!?

I used to do a lot of travel for a big American bank.

The advice was always take two cards, two providers, two different networks, perhaps a visa debit card and a mastercard credit card from different banks.

This was great advice and I would recommend in normal life too.

My job is in IT and I would not trust any deployment to be permanently available for reasons both in and outside my control.

Quote from Red Dwarf along the lines that "Computers are not Infullible" comes to mind.

1. TheProf

Re: AGAIN?!?

Sorry, I had to look it up.

Holly: I'm the closest thing you can get to infullable.

I think the sentiment remains the same.

7. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Customer service is the highest priority for Nationwide"

What's the lowest?

8. Missing Semicolon Silver badge

Hasn't it all been outsourced to IBM?

When they started condensing the patchwork of systems they inherited from the various smaller societies that got Borged, I was told at an AGM that it's an off-the-shelf IBM/SAP system.

9. Dr Who

Won’t let make online payments, rather annoying and [an] inconvenience as our electric is about to run out! Then we will be buggered,

That's really unfortunate. First your power is going to go off and then someone is going to have anal sex with you. Really bad luck that is.

10. unwarranted triumphalism

An amateurish organisation

Perhaps their banking licence should be revoked.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: An amateurish organisation

In the banking world it seems to count as business as usual.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I'd rather have Nationwide's incompetence than that of the other usual suspects, if only because Nationwide is the only large mutual still offering banking services (though one or two smaller building socs still do).

Despite which, I think Nationwide's board are the same overpaid banking sector freeloaders as anybody elses board...

1. unwarranted triumphalism

If you're ok with their incompetence I'm guessing none of your money is with them.

They should be put out of business and made to compensate everyone affected by their actions.

11. Dampeters

Nope, it's down again.

"We are really sorry.

Your Internet Bank is not available right now. We are working to resume service as quickly as possible."

12. Ed_UK

“currently experiencing a technical issue”

Anybody who utters this as an explanation deserves a swift kick in the blx. We used to get it at work now and then from the techies who ought to know better. PLEASE just say "The cleaner accidentally unplugged the mail server" or "The web computer stopped working" or whatever. Anything other than that utterly useless "technical issue" shyte. Thanks

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like