back to article Freelance techies moan about DXC billing snafu: No pay for three weeks

Contractors plying their trade for DXC Technologies remain in the dark over what some claim is a billing system screw-up that has meant they'd gone unpaid for the past three weeks. The tech hands-for-hire told El Reg they were unable to input time sheets since November 11 on Beeline, the internal process used to manage third- …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That is why you always leave money in your LTD to smooth over issues like this

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If lots of people are having issues with a payroll system then should we really be calling them "freelance"? Sounds to me like they work for DXC as consultants to customers of DXC. If you really are freelance and someone stops paying you - go somewhere else.

1. jake Silver badge

If you get your contract through a third party ...

... you are not freelance.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: If you get your contract through a third party ...

"... you are not freelance."

That doesn't follow. What matters is the terms of the contract. The trouble is that having a pimp mediating the contracts introduces an element of uncertainty into those terms. It's certainly preferable to contract direct.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

It's certainly preferable to contract direct.

But an increasing trend for companies that employ contractors is to outsource the hiring and contracting through a third party (eg Manpower), meaning that contractors sign up with that agency, or find another gig.

In some cases you can still name your price, but the T&Cs will be standard, and that works far better for the "beneficiary" company, rather than have their own (disinterested) procurement team piffling around with a host of completely different low value contracts, or worse still, the wastrels of HR trying to administer anything.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"But an increasing trend for companies that employ contractors"

There's the problem right there: "employ".

As soon as a client is thinking in those terms you have a problem. I stuck to working with relatively small businesses and mostly getting contracts by reputation or repeat business.

Smaller businesses were also less of a pain to work with unlike, say, the time I covered someone's 2-week holiday with an overlap either side and it was largely occupied by doing the paperwork to get agreement to add another chunk to the database and then more paperwork to get the system admins to make the space from LVM.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Surely

If an IT company can't sort out its own IT issues, would you trust them with yours?

4. Miss Lincolnshire

Q3 coming up...

.....and a large amount of cash is going to be left lying in DXC coffers with no documented liability for it to be offset against.

Trebles all round!

1. Wolfclaw

Re: Q3 coming up...

Accidental cockup or makes the balance book figures look good for the shareholders and city traders, with plenty of spare cash sloshing around ?

1. Miss Lincolnshire

I couldn't possibly comment..

2. theblackhand

I won't dispute the "accidental cockup", but it might take a little more than contractor payments to make the books look good at DXC...

5. XCH_CSC_DXC_WhatNext

I wonder if it's another cost delaying tactic. It seems to happen with expenses some times as well where there is a 'problem' and payments are delayed by a week or two. Are we approaching a quarter end?

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

It's a US company isn't it? Doesn't that mean it's year-end accounts for them?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

No. Their financial year starts in April.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mind you,

the fact that Experis are the man-in-the-middle doesn't help, as they appear to not be staffed adequately to be able to handle the queries raised by such cock-ups.

They often appear as a corrupting filter on the contracts, where the client and the contractor consultant agree on what is needed (not that they're supposed to talk to each other), but Experis can't quite grasp the wording that needs to go into the contract.

My experience, and that of many other people I know who work through Experis is that they rarely get even a simple contract amendment correct first time.

7. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

Alternatively...

Considering that systems like this for large companies are mostly based on workflow with approvals required at key points of the engagement, it could just be (A) a missing interface between the DXC/Expiris and Allegis systems, or (B) key user approval hierarchies not being set up and/or tested, or (C) a data migration issue.

Or yes, of course (D) some deep dark conspiracy or collusion between DXP et al to shure up their shaky quarterly finances...

8. This post has been deleted by its author

9. Mark York 3 Silver badge
    FAIL

Worked with a guy, who had a very bad habit of submitting 6 weeks of invoices at a time, so he received a bumper bank deposit.

When he submitted one batch & didn't receive a response on his expected payday 2 weeks later, he discovered that the contracting company had folded 1 week after his last received payment.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like