back to article Brit cyber-spies: Fancy meeting outside court to talk about evidence?

Blighty's surveillance nerve-centre GCHQ has asked its independent oversight body to consider working together to decide what evidence to submit to court, saying it would make the process "more efficient". The suggestion was set out in a letter to UK Investigatory Powers Commissioner Adrian Fulford, dated November 8 and …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That's what they want you to think.

There's no way he would have published that letter without their full blessing, this is GHCQ, if they wanted to know what I had for breakfast they could probably find it in the data they have on everyone. It was bacon to save them the trouble.

1. Jonathan Schwatrz
      Big Brother

Re: AC

Indeed, I did chuckle at the part in the article ".....His apparent commitment to transparency and willingness to stand up to GCHQ indicates that the new body might have more teeth than previous oversight bodies....." - GCHQ just made their new watchdog look good and independent at no real cost to themselves.

1. Intractable Potsherd

Needlessly cynical with no evidence, I think. TPTB might have made a mistake and appointed someone who actually takes his responsibilities seriously. Let's wait and see what happens - anything from a change of tune to sealing himself in a body bag...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I wouldn't say there is no evidence, I think it's pretty clear from the outcome that the act itself was staged unless of course you believe that GHCQ wrote a letter to the new ICPO asking to circumnavigate the courts and told the ICPO they could show everyone the letter asking them to do this. Do you realise how ridiculous that sounds? It's not the asking that is the problem, it's the letter.

Repeat after me,

"I want you, our oversight commissioner to do something dodgy in court, I know you might say no though you can tell everyone I asked you to be dodgy" (Redacted: because we both know it will make you look good)

2. Semtex451
    Pint

I'll volunteer

I suggest all parties meet down my local pub, sit at different tables and I'll carry notes between them and presumably drinks too. That way GCHQ can make inconvenient facts, and my bar tab, just disappear.

1. Mark York 3 Silver badge
      Big Brother

Re: I'll volunteer

Which might make you one of those facts that need to be disappeared, along with your now non-existent bar tab.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: I'll volunteer

The best way to get rid of facts is to padlock them in a duffel bag and put them in the bath.

3. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Intelligence is as intelligence does.

How very cosy, and definitely progress of sorts? Finally, ...... some novel proaction/whorish motion.

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: Intelligence is as intelligence does.

Finally, ..... some novel proaction/whorish motion,.... or not as the subsequent case based upon future presented evidence might be.

You know what they say about teaching old dogs new tricks, and old attack dogs are especially problematic if prone to random rogue command and deadly rage rushes. But who knows, maybe things have taken a change for the better and new AIdDynamic Leadership reigns over rulers in GCHQ.

Or is that still too far a Quantum Communication Leap for their Systems Administrations and Administered Systems to make with such a radical fundamental break with tradition for remote command and semi-autonomous control of irregular and unconventional proaction in novel fields of Almighty Virtual Endeavour ..... for such is what is on offer to them and market competitors in these times and places of Future NEUKlearer HyperRadioProACTively Energised Spaces.

And now you all know what they are having to deal with, and dealing in. Spread the word, for they need all the help they can muster.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

In the first interview a serving GCHQ legal advisor has given, Director for Legal Affairs, Douglas and his colleague Kate explain the role the team has in helping to keep Britain safe.”

If I am given to understand correctly, GCHQ wants the power to 'manage' the Independent oversight body?

James Eadie QC, Kate Grange, Richard O'Brien

“Kate Grange QC and Rose Grogan have been named as Counsel to the Grenfell Tower Inquiry, which will be chaired by the former Court of Appeal judge, Sir Martin Moore-Bick. The role of Counsel to the Inquiry takes various forms, including presenting evidence and questioning witnesses at hearings.”

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

The spooks and their friends are beautifully diligent in their preparations for the covering and rehashing of all nasty bases/hasty decisions, Walter Bishop, aren't they?

Bravo, GCHQ. One would expect nothing less for the Exercise and Execution of Perfect Enough Sublime Internet Networking AI Leads ....... with Virtual Travel Directions to Instructive Heavenly Destinations.

How much does One know about these AIDynamic Developments? How much does anyone alighting and departing here know of well ..... Future Operations is suitable transparent, methinks, with just the right amount of clarity and shade to conceal vital secrets.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like