back to article Mirror, mirror on the wall, who's the failest mobe of all?

Ten times as many Android users experience performance issues than iPhone users, although twice as many iPhone users report signal issues. Then again, Android apps crash one seventh as often as iOS apps, with Facebook's apps filling three of the top-four crash rankings. The figures come from Blancco's quarterly "State of …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Really?

66% of iPhones fail in Asia? Must be reading that wrong...

1. Excellentsword

Re: Really?

I'm guessing 66% of reported failures are from Asia. Or iPhones really can't handle the potentially humid climate.

2. Frank Bitterlich
      WTF?

Did you know that 42% of all statistics use totally made-up numbers?

I don't get the whole "Figure 1" stats at all. What does "Worldwide" mean? Does it mean "Other world regions"? If so, the numbers add to 120 %. If not, 66 % of what? 66 % of all devices in Asia will fail, eventually? Or did fail in Q3 2017? Or 66 % of all device failures were in Asia?

The numbers are meaningless without more detailed explanation.

1. Eddy Ito
        Facepalm

It also doesn't explain what constitutes a failure. Is it an app crash, an OS crash, defective component, bricked device, did something unexpected, etc? At a glance, it appears as if any would be a failure.

If you're trying to send an email and the phone loses it's net connection it will fail at least until the connection is restored. "Oh look at that! It's still in airplane mode, silly me."

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Jailbreaking

Is a lot more common in China, which would lead to more failures - especially if you're using dodgy third party app stores as well.

2. 's water music

The numbers are meaningless without more detailed explanation.

I don't share your optimism

2. iron Silver badge

"iPhone 6s introduced force feedback ("Taptic Engine") and the S7 Edge and S8 curved screens."

I must have imagined the curved screen on my S6 Edge and I think the Note released the same year.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Looking at the Android app crashes

I'd say that is the most accurate report I've ever seen on this site.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Looking at the Android app crashes

We were talking at work about this and out of around 90 of us using Android there'd almost never been any crashes. We've also seen only one device failure.

The 30 or so IPhone people had similar results.

Neither group reported performance problems.

The only Android phones I've known to have quality issues were €50 ones I order directly from China.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: The only Android phones I've known to have quality issues were €50 ones

Tiresome AC, stop it. You're disputing an article that has stats from millions of devices using the stats from you having a chat with your workmates. On every article that may be slightly relevant to Google or Mobiles you're there, posting a thinly veiled sales pitch. Why?

2. Mike Moyle

"Neither group reported performance problems."

Well, it's not really the sort of thing that one would talk about in casual conversation, is it...?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

:-)

I work in IT so it was a bit more than a casual chat. We set out some standard questions and being geeks set up a questionnaire on an internal web server.

You will notice that we use both Android and Apple so no sales pitch from me.

Personally I often feel I'd be happy to do without a mobile altogether.

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge

It is. And it is even worse. You cannot even mitigate it.

If you look at it, the biggest crash reasons cannot even be disabled any more. The first thing I used to do with a new Android in the family was to kill F** book and GooTube. Disable them from settings if they cannot be deleted. This used to improve the stability and battery life quite a bit.

You cannot do that any more. I have a tested with a couple of Android 7 devices from Sony - they have a fatal resource leak if you disable the Facebook or Youtube Apps. They run out of something (not memory, probably file descriptors) if you try to disable the hideous Zuk bugware or the Parade of the Vain.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"I have a tested with a couple of Android 7 devices from Sony"

I have an Android 7 device from Sony, and there is no Facebook app. Currently the uptime is something over a month so I am doubtful that there is a leakage problem.

4. Khaptain Silver badge

Apps not platform

Touchwiz and Facebook are applications( read programs) and not platforms I dont understand the relation to the Devices.

I would consider that badly written programs are developments problems not hardware problems.

I moved away from Samsung recently because of Touchwiz for exactly this reason.. I prefer Huawei's implementation due to the fact that is very close to pure android and I have not noticed the slightest problem since... Touchwiz is a hog, it is closer to the walled garden approach and hence not to my liking, especially the impossibility to delete Samsungs apps..

1. TonyJ

Re: Apps not platform

I ditched the Touchwiz front end for Nova Prime. Much slicker.

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

> I would consider that badly written programs are developments problems not hardware problems.

iPhones and Android phones aren't just different hardware though. They are different OSs, with different development environments and tools. I'd assume that these factors have some bearing on app reliability.

3. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Devil

If you TouchWiz, wash your hands afterwards...

1. Marcelo Rodrigues
        Devil

"If you TouchWiz, wash your hands afterwards..."

Before too! In these days, You never know...

2. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

It's #2 if you turned on cloud auto-completion suggestions. It's apparently a popular keyboard with pimps, rapists, drug users, and teenage ganstas.

5. Mage Silver badge

Meh

This is a nearly meaningless comparison without having selected groups that use phones with the same apps or amount of apps and monitoring them. It's worse than anecdotal.

6. Kevin Johnston

Missing information

While I understand the idea of Apple vs Android, it would be more usable if the Android side of the house was broken down by Manufacturer. As mentioned above, there is enough variation in the flavour of Android across the manufacturers (and other 'bonus' software) that some of the issues may well be home-grown and despite to OS rather than because of it

edited to remove multiple typos

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Missing information

Well, the data just reinforces what some people already do - avoid Touch Wiz and steer towards a more stock Android - so Pixel, plus Sony and Moto don't stray too far.

2. Milo Tsukroff
      Coat

Re: Missing information

Yep, the biggest piece of missing information is the NUMBER of devices in each class. Without that number, this statistic is meaningless:

> Ten times as many Android users experience performance issues than iPhone users

That's Quantity, not Percentage. Percentage gives you the statistical likelihood of a possible failure. That's useful information. Simply total number of failures is not. If there are ten times more Android devices than iPhone devices, then the Per Cent Failure Rate is equal. If there are less than ten times more Android phones than iPhones, then the failure rate is higher for Androids, and if there are more than ten times, the failure rate is lower. See what I mean?

I'll get my coat. Mine's the one with the lighter in the pocket.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

I wonder why windows mobile isn't there?

Oh yes, it failed completely.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

What's WinMo? Oh wait, it's Billywindows for Mobiles.

2. Killfalcon Silver badge

I quite like the WinPhone, but it's really not done well in the market. Oh well, you WinPhone, you LosePhone, as they say.

(I strongly doubt my next phone's ging to be another Windows, if only because I'm not sure they'll still be selling them when my current one finally gives up)

8. John Lilburne

Its not the day to day failure with apple stuff ...

... that is the problem. It is the updates. When ever you get one of those you know that you'll probably need to set a day or two aside to get the thing back working properly afterwards.

1. hardboiledphil

Re: Its not the day to day failure with apple stuff ...

As per any device - just make sure you do a backup to a computer before you major updates. Any issue just restore it from the backup and try again a week later when they've fixed the issue

1. Anonymous Bullard
        Joke

Could always backup to the cloud...

2. John Lilburne

Er back in September they managed to brick the iPod touch. You couldn't get back into it for several days (cos obviously they did it just before the weekend). That needed a factory reset, but that couldn't proceed cos the thing wouldn't boot back from the reset.

On the plus side the senior support team were good, and the lower level knew to escalate the issue quickly.

9. heyrick Silver badge

Crashes on iOS

I'm not a developer. I'm an Android user with an iPad who reads the crash logs from time to time.

It seems to me that iOS is really paranoid about system resources. If an app stalls on Android, you get the option to kill the app or wait. With iOS, GONE! To much memory? GONE!

So I wonder how much is app crashiness and how much is OS paranoia?

10. fishman

Price vs reliability

There are alot of really cheap Android phones. Some of them are fairly shoddy so it's not surprising if their reliabilty would be lower. If you wanted to compare Apple vs Android reliability similar priced handsets should be used.

1. Nunyabiznes

Re: Price vs reliability

"If you wanted to compare Apple vs Android reliability similar priced handsets should be used."

If you did that, it would weight the results towards Samsung. I think that just might make iOS phones look much better than excluding Samsung and comparing Apple to all other Android phones.

*I have a bias against Samsung in particular because of 2 handsets that bricked out of the blue. My observations may not be statistically valid, lucid or reasonable.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Facebook is three of the top four app crashes?

How is that possible, on only two platforms?

12. PhilipN Silver badge

"crapitude" ... ?

Is this (and numerous other instances) a sign of a deliberate shift by El Reg to a different sub-set of targeted readership?

If so, please stop it.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hidden in the data

Look at the list of iOS failures and I think you can see why Apple dropped the headphone jack; it's reported as being the commonest failure point.

14. 0laf

The only think that crashes on my iPhone is Google keyboard.

Is that an iOS or Google crash then?

15. Archivist

Meaningless tosh

How can you compare the vast range of makes and performance levels of Android, with the narrow range and single maker of iOS?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like