back to article Hackers spray Reader's Digest stinky feet with exploit kit

Malwarebytes threat analysis man Jerome Segura says compromised Reader's Digest pages are being used to serve the Angler Exploit kit and trojan backdoors. Segura says the site was still serving the highly capable threat today as the publisher had not yet responded to his disclosure. "The attack consists of a malicious script …

1. DryBones

First Thought?

They need to be sued, possibly prosecuted as accessories to violations of the Computer Misuse Act. They are profiting from the committing of a crime or three after all. Or would this be more "passing off", like trying to present poor/harmful goods as safe?

Not a lawyer, but nothing focuses the mind like fines and jail time.

2. ricardian

Reader's Digest prize draw - updated & failed

I regularly enter the Reader's Digest prize draw (uses my email address and a daily-changing code) - it only takes a few seconds to click on the link from my email and I'm a hopeless optimist. However, for the last couple of days the system has failed. The website has been given a major make-over and the previously reliable easily clicked prize draw no longer works. Initially the email and code were no longer automatically entered when I clicked on the link from my email, entering them manually had no effect. Now there is a 503 error "Service Temporarily Unavailable. The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

Web Server at readersdigest.co.uk"

It would appear that the developers of the new website never tried using the automatic entry into the prize draw

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like