back to article Don't sweat Brexit, big biz told: Your shiny data protection sticker will remain intact

Multinationals whose data protection compliance was rubberstamped by the UK's privacy regulator have been assured they won't be stripped of the authorisation after Brexit. Firms that wish to move personal data out of the European Economic Area have to demonstrate that they abide by EU data protection rules. They can do this …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Assured?

I don't see how the UK ICO can assure anyone of anything with regard to Europe post Brexit.

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Re: Assured?

If the ICO approves the corporate rules as being GDPR-compliant, and if GDPR doesn't change, the rules must necessarily continue to be GDPR compliant. It's the same situation as would apply to a country that isn't in the EU today, if their rules are accepted as GDPR compliant, they'll continue to be unless something changes.

What the ICO is saying is that it isn't going to strip anyone of approval post-Brexit.

Obviously the EU can change the GDPR rules if it wants to screw around, but that would upset a lot more places than the UK.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The fundamental principle of BCRs is that the organisation has a headquarters within the EU that will accept liability for breach of those BCRs. If an organisation's headquarters are based in the UK then it will not satisfy that requirement after Brexit.

I don't know if that means the BCRs will be automatically void (as opposed to voidable at the whim of other EU regulators) and I doubt the ICO knows the answer either.

However, one does suspect some of the rallying cries for UK BCRs are based more on professional self interest than a detached analysis of the provisions to grandfather authorisations in the GDPR.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I'm still trying to get my head around all the subtleties of Brexit and GDPR but unless I'm mistaken, without some kind of deal we have not currently got anything in place to assess the data adequacy of third countries. Ok, the EU should be a rubberstamp, but India doesn't currently have an adequacy agreement from the EU either. Does this mean that as of March 30th 2019 potentially any company that has outsourced call centres or other data processing functions to India (other 3rd countries are available) are in breach of GDPR?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Does this mean that as of March 30th 2019 potentially any company that has outsourced call centres or other data processing functions to India (other 3rd countries are available) are in breach of GDPR?"

Stop questioning or it'll be your fault if it all fails.

Brexit means Brexit.

Sovereignty. Will of the people. etc.

1. Peter2 Silver badge

Dear Anonymous Coward,

From the position of the people who's jobs have been offshored to India then the EU finding the outsourcers to be in violation of the GPDR, resulting in huge fines to those companies until they onshore those jobs would be a positive and plausible reason to believe"we'd be better off in the EU" because they are tackling problems.

Not that this actually has anything to do with exiting from the EU anyway, but screaming overused cliques at people does absolutely nothing to persuade them that you have a point, especially when in this case you have no point at all beyond being bitter that a democratic vote didn't go the way that you wanted. This makes you look petty and pathetic, and just entrenches opposition to you. Since in this case the opposition is in fact demonstratably in a majority, might I suggest a change of tactics to something more akin to adult communication might be in order if you wish to persuade adults to change their minds? Insults aren't a particually effective way of getting people to change their minds on an issue.

Yours faithfully,

PS. I don't actually think that outsourcing will be found to cause a breach of the GPDR. That said, if some Indian contractor nicks a database then the company is going to be for the high jump with fines!

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

@Peter2

"you have no point at all beyond being bitter"

Based on your post, a pot and kettle analogy springs to mind. Does anyone else find it strange how Brexiters won the vote but often make such angry, ranting posts? Its almost as if Brexit is a proxy for a wider set of complex problems (none of which will actually be solved by Brexit).

P.S. I also agree that the GDPR shouldn't have much impact on outsourcing to India and other non-EE jurisdictions. Schrems III might but that would create and existential problem for EU data protection laws.

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
              Unhappy

"Sovereignty. Will of the people. etc."

You forgot one

"Taking Back Control" (C Linton Kwesi Crosby 2017)

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Obviously the EU can change the GDPR rules if it wants to screw around, but that would upset a lot more places than the UK.

Or the UK govt could introduce new laws which don't meet GDPR - leaving UK companies screwed.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Or the UK govt could introduce new laws which don't meet GDPR - leaving UK companies screwed.

Which would be such a stupid thing to do that even the most determined-to-see-it-end-in-tears remainer wouldn't encourage. I hope.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

But it would be taking back control from those interfering euro-hippy-liberals at the ECJ/ECHR

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

I think with RIPA they already have. It's mostly fudged right now, but the EU is unlikely to continue to frown and look the other way once the UK has left.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The ICO does don't rule on compliance. The ECJ ultimately rules on compliance. The ICO offers an opinion in the U.K. based on their interpretation. GDPR rules do not need to change for that interpretation to be in conflict with ECJ rulings.

4. John Smith 19 Gold badge
        Coat

"What the ICO is saying is that it isn't going to strip anyone of approval post-Brexit."

Except the ICO will no longer be in the EU post Brexit, so will it's approval count anymore?

Anyone whose business involves processing lots of data from the rest of Europe should consider moving that side of their operation to somewhere in the rest of Europe.

Once again May is looking bad.

In every sense of that sentence.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I have customers, right now, asking for help with moving their operations to datacentres in mainland Europe because if things don't go to plan, Brexit is an existential risk. They can stay put and hope for the best, or move everything and eliminate the risk.

Some are also considering move customer interfacing roles there too; actual people; because it's not at all clear that they'll be able to legally work with customer data from machines in the UK post Brexit. Call centres that have moved back from India might now be off to Hungary and the Czech Rep.

Anon because customers.

2. Stevie

Bah!

Just as the licensing rates for professional drone usage have remained stable post-vote.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like