back to article How is 55 Cancri e like a Sisters of Mercy gig? Astroboffins: It has atmosphere

A new physical model has added more support to the theory that the large exoplanet 55 Cancri e has an Earthlike atmosphere. A study describing the work by researchers Isabel Angelo, of the University of California, Berkeley, and Renyu Hu, of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, was published Thursday in The Astronomical Journal …

1. jason 7

I have been to a Sisters of Mercy gig...

Smokes machine at 200%, two sets of Disco traffic lights and a medley just 10 minutes in does not create atmosphere. That was in 2006. Utterly terrible. We left halfway through This Corrosion. Yes it was that bad.

The most overrated live act ever. The albums are fine.

As for 55 Cancri e ...I reserve judgement.

1. Excellentsword

Re: I have been to a Sisters of Mercy gig...

55 Cancri e's atmosphere probably ain't that great either, mate.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"55 Cancri e's atmosphere probably ain't that great either, mate."

Carbon monoxide and nitrogen. If there was a civilisation, it obviously extinguished itself by powering everything with Hemi V8s with no cats.

2. James12345

You should have gone to the gigs 30 years ago - bloody brilliant back then.

1. jason 7

Well that's what we thought. The show we saw in 2006 would have gone down far better in 1986.

2. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

'30 years ago',... annoyingly, never managed to see them,... I saw 'Fields of the Nephilim'*, 'The Mission', 'All About Eve', 'Ghostdance', and 'The Cult' (I was into Thrash, but I had a Goth gf).

Never saw The Sisters though,.... folks I know who went to the 2006 gig all said they sucked, so glad I gave that nostalgia a swerve.

*I say I saw FotN,... I saw some hats, a silhouette or two, and the output of a smoke machine for 90 mins.

1. Mark 78

They've gone even further downhill now. I saw them this summer, luckily Therapy? saved it from being the worst gig I've been to. I left half way through the SoM set.

3. Dagg Silver badge
        Coat

You should have gone to the gigs 30 years ago - bloody brilliant back then.

Nah, you was young and did know any better and there was the drugs....

I'll get my coat.

3. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"Mein Irisch Kind, wo weilest du..."

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

""Mein Irisch Kind, wo weilest du...""

Are we referencing Wagner, the Waste Land or, as I suspect, both?

4. FuzzyWuzzys

Is that dopey sod Andrew still sulking about his mate Wayne buggering him and his band name about?

Might account for why 2006's gig was so awful, a contractual thing so Andy can stay out of court!

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If you like the Sisters, check out German band The Merry Thoughts, probably the most accurate Sisters copy you've ever heard in your life. The singer's got Andy's voice down to a tee!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Pint

Bless you, AC, for bringing TMT to my attention! Have a beer!

2. Alister

How is 55 Cancri e like a Sisters Of Mercy gig?

'why may a caudled fillhorse be deemed the brother to a hiren candle in the night?'

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

How is 55 Cancri e like a Sisters of Mercy gig?

It's full of dry ice, weird tectonic rumblings and barely moving ancient lifeforms.

1. WolfFan Silver badge

Re: How is 55 Cancri e like a Sisters of Mercy gig?

It's full of dry ice, weird tectonic rumblings and barely moving ancient lifeforms.

So it's the Editorial Board at the Times, is it?

4. iron Silver badge

55 Cancri e

A Black Planet with an atmosphere of Adrenochrome.

5. ravenviz Silver badge

So basically the headline starts a forum reply about something other than the article.

"LOL"

1. Mark 85

Pretty normal for El Reg, if you haven't noticed and part of the ambience. Sort of like a pub... but BYOB.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Amphetamine Logic?

6. Alistair
    Coat

It life Jim.

But not as we know it.

(sorry, my take on SoM, not 55 Cancri e)

7. 0laf
    Pint

Is it just me that finds this crazy that we can't image a planet light years awat but we can figure out which way the wind is blowing.

Pints for the boffins.

1. Hollerithevo

And this is why science is so cool

For almost hairless monkeys, we ain't half bad.

1. Rich 11

Re: And this is why science is so cool

For almost hairless monkeys, we ain't half bad.

We're maybe only 42% bad on a good day (which happens perhaps three times out of five, excepting Mondays).

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"but we can figure out which way the wind is blowing."

That's because you don't need a weatherman to tell which way the wind blows.

8. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

"It has a mass of about eight Earths and radius of about two so it's no golf ball."

I don't think any SF writers ever thought of humans inhabiting planets of more than about 3g.

That said if it does have the atmosphere issue taken care of you can run around the whole surface without a full space suit.

That's quite attractive.

Now all you need is the hand held anti-gravity unit to avoid needing massive genetic engineering in order to survive on the planet.

1. Raphael

Re: "It has a mass of about eight Earths and radius of about two so it's no golf ball."

I'm sure the newspapers are already printing stories of it being our new ideal home among the stars.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "It has a mass of about eight Earths and radius of about two so it's no golf ball."

Hal Clement's "mission of gravity" has that - but they're only visiting there to meet the intelligent caterpillars.

I'm underselling the book, it's very good really.

1. bob, mon!

Poul Anderson had a short story as well... its point being that high-gravity inhabitants would be smaller than humans, not larger as other authors at the time had imagined.

Much too long ago for me to remember the title, alas.

3. cray74

I don't think any SF writers ever thought of humans inhabiting planets of more than about 3g.

Well, Orion's Arm is a web group that generates modest profits from its anthologies, so it probably counts as "SF writers," and it does address high-gravity worlds with human (and modestly to greatly genetically enhanced human) occupants. OA's peak planetary gravities do tend to top out at 2-2.5Gs because it's difficult for rocky worlds to exceed that G-level without getting wrapped in super-thick atmospheres (1000+ bar of hydrogen and helium), but there are examples of more than 3Gs.

Superterrestrial worlds in OA

High gravity human "tweaks"

9. Bibbit

What an atmosphere! I love a...

No wait, that was Russ Abbott.

Saw The Sisters live at Birmingham NEC in the ?90s. They were wank. My fault for not being off my face I suppose but that's the price one pays for getting a lift with a mate's dad.

The albums are still awesome though, especially Floodland.

1. jason 7

Re: What an atmosphere! I love a...

Yeah you listen to the albums for years, then you see them play live and you wonder "Just how much studio involvement did 98% of the past band members actually have with any of this?*"

*Well this only applies to band members pre 1991 really.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

lucretia my reflection

Tried to name my daughter lucretia after the SOM song but got overruled

11. cray74

You keep using this word "Earthlike..."

"A new physical model has added more support to the theory that the large exoplanet 55 Cancri e has an Earthlike atmosphere."

55 Cancri e has an average daytime temperature of 2300C and an average minimum temperature of 1340C, which has me wondering if exoplanet studies are now using a rather broader definition of "Earthlike" than the (admittedly fiction-based) sources I followed in my childhood. What exactly is Earthlike about the planet's atmosphere other than being similar in pressure at 1.4 bars?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like