back to article A challenger appears: Specs for Samsung's potential Optane killer

How does Korean flash and DRAM chipper Samsung's Z-NAND compare to Intel and Micron's 3D XPoint? Z-NAND is Samsung's tweaked flash technology, thought to be SLC (1 bit/cell) with a customised controller to speed it up. Optane is rushing Z-NAND to market adoption and it's a wide-open race. One of XPoint's advantages over NAND …

1. Dazed and Confused

Am I missing something or is there something wrong here?

The Samsung drive has a higher random read IOPS rating than the P4800X, but it has an even larger advantage in random write IOPS, which is emphasised in the sequential read/write bandwidth numbers where it is two and a half to three times better.

Yet the table shows P4800X read & write rate as 550K & read bandwidth of 11.2 while write is 8GB/s

Then shows the SZ985 having 750K reads/s but only 170K writes/s and bandwidth figures of 3.2GB/s for both reads and writes.

1. Spacedinvader
      WTF?

Re: Am I missing something or is there something wrong here?

What I came to say.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yet the table shows P4800X read & write rate as 550K & read bandwidth of 11.2 while write is 8GB/s

I guess somebody should not write their copy after the start of their Friday's pub lunch. The datasheets for both P4800X and SZ085 are easy enough to find; they contain more useful information that the article. Both appear to be an interesting product. I'd like five of each :)

https://ark.intel.com/products/97164/Intel-Optane-SSD-DC-P4800X-Series-750GB-12-Height-PCIe-x4-20nm-3D-XPoint

http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/global/file/insight/2017/08/Ultra-Low_Latency_with_Samsung_Z-NAND_SSD-0.pdf

1. Dazed and Confused

I'd like five of each :)

The nice thing about bandwidth is that you can nearly always just buy more width.

2. eldakka
    Coat

I'll happily take whichever one the reg decided to give me.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like