back to article Asus Eee PC 1000 10in Linux netbook

Asus missed a trick when it released the Eee PC 901: it didn't incorporate a bigger keyboard than the one on the Eee 701. Had it done so, there wouldn't perhaps be a need for the 1000. Yes, the 1000 comes with a larger, 10.2in screen, but with the display's 1024 x 600 resolution matching that of the 8.9in panel built into the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Price?

Ok it's no longer a SCC. You can easily get a full blown lappy for this much, so am I missing something?

2. nobby
    Paris Hilton

sorry, is this really an eeeeeeepc article?

it seems like its missing something...

oh yes, wheres the picture of the yound lady on the beach?

3. paul
    Stop

what is the point of 1024 x 600

In a very small 7" shell I can forgive wierdo strange screen resolutions. But if you make it bigger give us more desktop real estate.

I WANT STANDARD RESOLUTIONS.

4. b
    Thumb Down

good for the fatties..

with their sausage fingers..even tho i think it's good.

but STILL the HP2133 is the only one to get 700+ verticle res..(ok the gigabyte does as well)..

had they gone to a greater screen res, i would have had one ^^

cheers,

bill

p.s. stuff and nonsense: http://www.eupeople.net/forum

baby laptop thread: http://www.eupeople.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487

5. Tony Smith, Editor, Reg Hardware (Written by Reg staff)

Re. Eee Girl

Have a look here - all is revealed:

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/10/02/eee_girl_saga_continues/

6. Blubster
    Unhappy

It would be better.....

If Asus actually supported the Xandros version of the eee pc. There's minimal updates and few repositories. The so-called eee pc update/download website has lots of downloadable programs available in CNR (click `n` run) format, but guess what? Xandros doesn't support CNR as yet.

Well at least not 24 hours ago.

7. Ken Hagan Gold badge
    Unhappy

Re: Price?

It's not you. Asus have just lost the plot. Doubtless they will eventually withdraw the entire Eee line on the grounds that only the cheaper models ever sold very well.

8. John Hughes
    Boffin

Re: what is the point of 1024 x 600

1024 * 9 / 16 = 576

Obvious innit.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Biggest problem with the Asus...

...there's no easy way of keeping software up-to-date without getting under the hood. Asus offer an updater for some utilities (but it's been a while since that's had anything new on it), but stuff like Firefox which is shipped with the machine, can't be updated without resorting to the command line. Okay, most of the people here won't worry about that; but just try explaining sudo to a Public used to clicking one on-screen button and being told what to do.

And this is a real problem, unless updating is going to be made as simple as on more familiar OSs, there will be plenty of unpatched machines going around. And that can't be good.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Deja vu

Looks remarkably like the 2003-vintage G3 iBook I've got in a box somewhere in the spare room.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ASUS and opensource

They haven't really got it yet.

Their repositories are out of date, even if you do make it to a command line, you won't be updating to the latest patch.

They see opensource as being free in that they have to put zero effort in, and if they are going to do that they should at least install a community distro on it. Then they could just setup a mirror, problem solved. But, instead they go for a commercial linux, modify and have stale repositories.

There are lots of GUI package managers around, and I think they have bundled one, somewhere.

ASUS could have had a lot of fun with opensource, had they been just a little bit visionary. Most of the buyers prefer to stick with what comes with a machine, irrational perhaps, but that seems to be a trait, with that type of install base they could have given some of the distros a run for their money, instead they just sort of gave up.

Ubuntu netbook seems to have filled the gap for a few, but there a lot of EEEs out there, running unpatched I would imagine.

12. s
    Thumb Up

I was going to ask about the price in the UK

Until I looked in the Dutch shops and saw that it's gone up by 50 euros since it was first released...

I got my 1000H for 399 euros (just over 300 quid). At that price point it was perfect - I checked in the shop against the 901 and the Acer One and it was the nicest to use.

I have to say I don't have the issue with the keyboard flex that others have pointed out - it fits the bill perfectly for what I need from a sub-notebook. Whilst the screen resolution isn't a gain over the 901, the keyboard is a *huge* gain, and I don't have stubby fat fingers (I can type just fine on the 701 that my wife has) it's just *nicer* :)

13. Quirkafleeg
    Pirate

Show us the source, ASUS

By not providing source for software which is distributed under licences such as the GPL, they're breaking the licence conditions and, as a result, they do not have permission to distribute the binaries.

Oops.

14. W
    Dead Vulture

Said it before

"Some buyers may prefer the familiarity of Windows, especially if they need to run specific apps or hardware that lacks Linux support, but there can't be many of those."

AutoCAD & Paint.NET (amongst others) don't run on Linux (and Wine & Gimp are not valid arguments).

XP tax comes in at about £20 on these machines after the shakedown. Which is decent enough value as far as I'm concerned. Faffery and hacking around in Linux would come to much more than £20 worth of my time.

Shame the XP machine only comes with a HDD rather than an SSD. Shame also that MS won't be honest and just flog XP off the shelf at £20. Then I could buy a desirably specced Linux SCC and install my favoured OS.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like