back to article Intel-Micron scrap the summer diet, enlarge 3D XPoint mem DIMM fab

Intel and Micron have expanded their XPoint production fab in Utah, USA, as the clock ticks down to the launch of XPoint DIMMs in the second half of 2018. 3D XPoint is the Intel-Micron solid-state storage technology that's a little faster and more expensive than NAND, and not as fast nor as expensive as DRAM. The point of it …

1. Neill Mitchell

That's a cheapskate serving of potato wedges.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I like the browning lettuce and poor burger to bun ratio best

1. philipclark

Yes, but is the cheese on the top or the bottom??

2. Jim Mitchell
    Boffin

"bit-addressable"?

"The point of it is to provide bit-addressable nonvolatile capacity greater than typical RAM banks with access times faster than NAND."

RAM isn't bit addressable, and I don't see Xpoint being bit addressable, either. Once again, I'm confused.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "bit-addressable"?

would you be happier if it said word addressable?

3. Chris Mellor 1

Only 1.l5TB of XPOint in the Oracle demo

Sent to me by a financial analyst:-

3D XPoint: Intel's Navin Shemoy misspoke on 14 November. The demo was not 100% in 3TB of 3D Xpoint but was impressive nonetheless. The Oracle World demo was in the last 10 minutes of Doug Fisher's presentation. Demo compared execution time for 3 DB queries between a server with 1.5TB of DRAM interacting with SSDs against that server with 1.5TB of DRAM interacting with 1.5TB of 3D XPoint DIMMs. The latter was roughly 8x faster. All three queries done markedly faster with the 3D XPoint DIMMs. Oracle said it has been working with Intel on the technology for four years. If interested, watch the last 10 minutes of https://www.oracle.com/openworld/on-demand.html?bcid=5595259086001

1. elgreco-linux

Re: Only 1.l5TB of XPOint in the Oracle demo

Speaking of real performance using plain PCIe, Intel Optane and Oracle RAC without In-Memory Option, check out this paper:

https://www.slideshare.net/efstathioue/building-an-open-memorycentric-computing-architecture-using-intel-optane

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like