back to article Amazon, Google inject Bluetooth vuln vaccines into Echo, Home AI pals

Amazon and Google have automatically patched people's Echo and Home AI assistant devices, respectively, to defend against recently discovered Bluetooth-related security vulnerabilities. BlueBorne – described in the video below – is the collective name for eight exploitable flaws found in Bluetooth stacks used by major hardware …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

yawn

You don't actually need to patch Google Home, it does it itself.

Stop writing clickbait.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: yawn

I'd argue it is actually newsworthy.

Most of the IoT news about attacks focus on the fact you can't update them because it's either not possible, or the vendor has long since vanished. In this case, both Google and Amazon have actually automatically pushed out updates to fix the problem.

Since they seem to be in the minority when it comes to IoTat, it is worth a story.

2. Steve Graham
    Holmes

open source

Windows has an identical flaw to Android. I wonder who copied whom.

3. Chris Gray 1
    Unhappy

Grrrr

Will my trusty Samsung S4 be patched soon?

Oh, right. I will continue to turn off Bluetooth when I leave home for somewhere other than walking in the local bush. And on my Gear 2 Neo, which is the only reason I use Bluetooth at all. Sigh.

I will eventually replace these gizmos, but only when there is a reason other than "annoyance".

1. Valeyard

Re: Grrrr

I'm the same, still on a oneplus one because it's still functional and not outdated in any way i use it. I usually skip a few generations with each new buy and usually then because the device has died of old age

Security-wise though it sucks that i'd be better off replacing my phone 6 months after buying it

2. Peter Mount

Re: Grrrr

I'm in the same boat, same watch but the Note 3 - heavily used and approaching 5 years old. I've not had a phone (smart or otherwise) that's lasted this long. Yes it get's slow at times where some apps are now bloated to what they were back then but it's still chugging along.

The watch isn't as reliable, it's the 2nd I've had, first one's power terminals corroded to nothing, the 2nd was £25 second hand.

At some point I'll have to bite the bullet & replace both but whilst the phone carries on running then unless something major happens I'm wondering how long this one's going to last

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Checking the Armis Bluebourne detector on Google Play, it seems a bit iffy with its detection, reporting the same device as safe and vulnerable depending on whether the device is checked locally or from a remote device

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like