back to article Ads watchdog tells Plusnet: There's no way unlimited business broadband costs £4.50

Two Plusnet adverts selling business broadband have been ruled "misleading" by the UK Advertising Standards Agency. The ads, which were seen on Facebook in March, had headlines claiming unlimited business broadband from £4.50 a month. But the small print said an extra £10.50 a month would be required in line rental. Plusnet …

1. Anonymous Noel Coward
    Boffin

It probably does, actually...

...not including the BT line rental scam, mind you.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"It probably does, actually..."

Probably does what?

"...not including the BT line rental scam, mind you."

You think BT should provide you with a free line to connect your modem to?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You think BT should provide you with a free line to connect your modem to?

@ Doctor Syntax: "You think BT should provide you with a free line to connect your modem to?"

I rent my electricity and the cable in included in the price, the same should go for 'broadband'. The pricing scheme is deliberately designed to confuse people. Basic, unlimited, super-fast, limited period, annual contract, modem delivery fee, engineer call-out fee etc ...

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

By that train of thought, why shouldn't the electricity grid charge people for the luxury of using their cables?

Or the water companies for using their pipes?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: charge people for the luxury of using their cables

"why shouldn't the electricity grid charge people for the luxury of using their cables?"

They already do. The grid, like everything else, is ultimately paid for by Joe Public. But Gridco doesn't charge Joe Public directly, Gridco's costs are passed on via a maze of twisty intermediaries, all alike and yet all different.

How those intermediaries and middlemen and generators and retailers and what have you actually choose to pass on those costs to the end users is a matter for discussion. But Gridco already charges people for tuxury of using their cables, in one way or another.

2. Solarflare

"Plusnet said it did not have to since a router was not a compulsory purchase."

Admittedly this is from a domestic rather than business point of view, but all of the '£7.99 router delivery charge" fees that I have ever seen didn't give an option to say "No thank you, I'd rather use my own".

1. AndrueC Silver badge
      Happy

PlusNet's does. Or at least did. When I signed up several years ago it was a radio button (yes/no).

IDNet will supply a router but they charge full price for it. It's a pretty capable unit though - a Billion 8800R2. I already had one though so didn't take them up on the offer.

1. SImon Hobson Bronze badge

Correct, Plusnet don't make you use their router - they are quite happy for you to use your own. Unlike some other providers who insist on you using their crippled and probably bug ridden carp, with remote config and updates hardcoded to on so they can change your settings whenever they like.

And in business, there are very often good technical reasons for not using the ISPs router - mainly to do with full access to firewalls, VPN support, etc, etc. At my last job, I'd say that more of our business customers used a router we provided than used an ISP provided one.

3. Prosthetic Conscience
    Joke

Maybe they actually meant "worth" £4.50

4. nkuk

"Plusnet defended the ad, claiming that because the adverts were aimed at business users, who they described as having a "higher level of competence and knowledge than a typical consumer", the exclusion of line rental from the headline price was acceptable."

That's a nice assertion from Plusnet that their "consumers" (I dislike that word, why are we never "customers" any more!) are less intelligent and more easily misled.

"consumers" (I dislike that word, why are we never "customers" any more!)

Looking at the context it seems they're dividing customers into two classes, consumers, by which they appear to mean domestic, and business which is fair enough. But actually TFA says "users" rather than "customers" so you may have a point. However my experience is that "customer" is actually an over-used word, especially when the likes of HMRC start using it.

1. TRT Silver badge

"customer" is actually an over-used word

Or the CSA. Client is just as bad - "Person or organisation employing or using the services of a professional person or organisation"; falls down on every count.

2. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge

That's a nice assertion from Plusnet that their "consumers" (I dislike that word, why are we never "customers" any more!) are less intelligent and more easily misled.

But isn't it the ASA saying "consumers" are more stupid, telling PlusNet and others that they have to explain it to "consumers" but hadn't, until now, insisted they must do the same for "business" customers?

If the ASA had done the right thing in the first place, insisted all advertised pricing must be clear and obvious to anyone, there likely wouldn't have been a problem, PlusNet would likely not have tried to scam businesses in the way it was no longer allowed to scam customers.

3. wyatt

My misses was a business customer of theirs and I'd say that when it comes to technology, she's thick as mince.

Fortunately I'm less so (debatable..) and told her how much it'd really cost her, including a router that was suitable for her needs.

N.b. she's much cleverer than me at the majority of things in life.

4. Andy Tunnah

A customer tends to mean a single purchase, consumer means obligation

5. Anonymous Coward Silver badge
      Unhappy

'Customer' is a one-way transaction: Customer pays, Seller provides goods/services.

'Consumer' means that they get to analyse your consumption and sell that data on.

Maybe. IANAL

1. TRT Silver badge

'Customer' vs 'Consumer'

Ah now you see a consommer, they buy soup, whereas a customer buys custard.

5. unwarranted triumphalism

Advert aimed at grown-ups

Can't have that.

1. rmason

Re: Advert aimed at grown-ups

You can, you just can't lie and say "they're grown ups, they know, come on, it'll be fine".

2. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

You have to remember that a "business user" doesn't just mean companies with thousands of employees and a dedicated IT team, but small companies with just one or two employees. Those employees probably know an awful lot about their field of work, but no more than the average consumer about IT.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Those [companies] probably know an awful lot about their field of work, but no more than the average consumer about IT."

Perhaps these companies should seek professional advice/support from someone demonstrably competent in the IT/network field then? Same as they should for plumbing, lectricking, doctoring, what have you?

NB they're not necessarily small companies either. BA and Equifax and TalkTalk aren't small companies, are they, to name but three.

UK ISP Metronet was a small company. But they were a very interesting ISP, until Plusnet took them over.

6. Teiwaz

described as having a "higher level of competence and knowledge than a typical consumer"

That is such an cheesy and arrogant defence, using fancy words to state they thought their general non business customer was stupid so it was ok to flagrantly mislead rather than only slightly mislead.

Why not spell out their adverts so the 'children' or pet animals can't understand.

7. Aladdin Sane

seen on Facebook in March

Another timely intervention by the ASA.

8. Lee D Silver badge

Strange.

I commented on those exact same ads and had a PlusNet person tell me that it was all fine.

My comments were basically the same concerns - not stating line rental was necessary, not stating VAT or not, "unlimited" without clarification, etc. etc.

They dismissed them but others were complaining too.

Sorry, Plusnet, but you've really gone downhill if you're resorting to those kinds of tactics, especially against businesses (which hopefully are collectively less stupid than the general populace).

At this point, I'd be happy getting an ISP who was just upfront about everything. Even A&A has a "line-only" broadband that's basically a con and works out to much more than just a normal line and includes... putting in a line that has a voice service that just isn't used.

I honestly don't get why honest business is so hard.

1. Aladdin Sane
      Trollface

Re: I honestly don't get why honest business is so hard.

Maybe businesses should have a motto like "Don't be evil"?

2. Commswonk

@ Lee D: I honestly don't get why honest business is so hard.

It isn't, but there are disincentives to being honest; dishonest business brings in more money if you can get away with it, and I'm afraid the evidence rather suggests that most of the time you will.

3. Adam 52 Silver badge

"I honestly don't get why honest business is so hard."

I don't think it's possible any more. At one end honesty doesn't sell and at the other it's impossible to comply with regulations (my favorites are all the things you have to do before employing anyone... who is supposed to do them if there are no employees?)

Reputation no longer counts for anything when it's trivial to fake a reputation with 100 positive Amazon or eBay reviews.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Typically because it simply isn't possible to provide a decent broadband service for the price they charge you...

...so they make up their loss with the price difference between the BT Wholesale line price and the line rental they charge you.

If they didn't charge you line rental, then their price would be completely unsustainable.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

A&A arent conning you

BT Wholesale are conning you, A&A are only passing on the cost.

1. Lee D Silver badge

Re: A&A arent conning you

Then A&A shouldn't pretend they're doing anything different to any other ISP.

And they charge MORE than other ISP's doing the same (admittedly maybe their service is better, but they're still just charging for the same full BT line + a bit of profit).

9. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

If the ad was aimed at business users...

...then there is an ambiguity there with the prices. Do they include VAT or not?

Re: If the ad was aimed at business users...

I'd expect business pricing not to include VAT as for many businesses it will be offset against VAT charged on goods and services.

10. This post has been deleted by its author

1. inmypjs Silver badge

Re: I just dumped Plusnet

"I just dumped Plusnet"

"broadband line was dropping out on a daily basis"

And your new ISP gave you a new broadband line?

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: And your new ISP gave you a new broadband line?

Whereas the old provider might go along with the notion that there is nothing wrong with the infrastructure, the new provider might not subscribe to that view, and will kick ass accordingly. This is the experience I have observed at first hand from the ISP I recommend who are, incidentally, so confident about their service that their contract length is one month.

11. ma1010
    Holmes

Wish we had someone who would do that over here

On the west side of the Pond, we could use someone to at least try to keep ads honest and which actually did something, unlike the fed here. You rarely see an ad over here without lots of fine print and additional little footnotes in 1 point font where even there they don't tell you the actual price of anything.

As evidence, I submit an ad I got from AT&T that told me I could have fiber broadband for only $50/month. But I noticed the fine print and footnotes that mentioned "introductory price" and added that some vague "other required services" were not included. So even in the fine print/footnotes you couldn't know the actual price of this service. I didn't feel like being "serviced" by AT&T, so I binned it, of course.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"higher level of competence and knowledge than a typical consumer"

in plain English: more aware that advertising = lying (sorry, WRONG - being 100% economical with the truth)

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ads, which were seen on Facebook in March

out of interest, which year?

1. Aladdin Sane

Re: ads, which were seen on Facebook in March

Every year.

14. matjaggard

I really don't think the postage for the router should have to be included. I help with the IT for a 5 person business and they have a router that they own and reused between suppliers.

15. An Cow

Like father, like son...

BT owns Plusnet, so... what do you expect?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like