back to article HP preps secret iPhone rival

Only more consumer-y Hewlett-Packard plans on keeping up with the Joneses by releasing a smartphone marketed to consumers within the next two months. At least, according to Wall Street Journal, which cites unnamed sources briefed on HP's latest foray into the increasingly crowded smartphone market. The new device will …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tim
    Boffin

ipaq

they have already tried windows smart phones with the ipaq 514 .

not bad small phone apart from screen picks up every scratch in the universe after two months use .After three it is almost unusable.

Shame because it has all the bell's and whistles .

2. Richard Cartledge

Fuck me

Whatever next? Texas Instruments releases iphone killer called Speak and Spell...it's orange and has touch sensitive querty keyboard.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Ridiculous

Suddenly every smartphone released is purely an "iPhone rival"?

4. Glenn Gilbert

Windows Mobile != iPhone

That's the point; unless and until Microsoft update the laggard Windows Mobile OS and browser it will never be an iPhone. Regardless of which frock it's been dressed up in.

Strange how HP & Compaq missed out on the smartphone market. They both used to make such great PDAs and were real market leaders - I still have an old Journada that's not yet fallen off the desk and into the recycling bin. But they never seemed to take it any further; you know, add a phone and camera and make it truly mobile.

5. Alex McKenna

Impersonators

In the 1930s there were loads of Bing Crosby "Killers"... and what happened to them?

Then there were Elvis replacements.... the same fate to them...

and now the iPhone killers...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

bwahahahaha

And to think, HP could have sold me one of these to replace my old iPAQ if only their support people actually provided support. Instead, HP's support people are such useless robots that they managed to convince me to never buy any HP product ever again under any circumstances. It's kinda funny, actually, it seems to me that HP are trying to sell Nokia phones!

7. Alastair

What qualifies for "iPhone rival" these days then?

Years ago I had a Nokia 7610 (I think that's the right number, stupid system)... It had Symbian on it, so was a smartphone- does that qualify as an iPhone rival now then?

From what I see in the article, HP are launching a consumer-targeted smartphone. No mention of music player capabilities or crazy new interfaces, so I fail to see the iPhone connection here...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

iPhone Rival?

I've never met anyone that enjoyed using an HP iPAQ, phone or PC. And I know plenty of users of both.

iPAQ was the name of an unfortunate range of "legacy free" PCs a while ago. They never really had the power to use properly. similar to the phones really, but they crashed less.

Let's face it, if it runs Windows in any form, it is not going to rival the iPhone.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good luck to them.

Having recently purchased a phone running Windows Mobile, I can say that it has one major feature: it makes Fista look good.

Seriously - I really didn't even think that Mickeyshaft could come up with anything quite this bad. But they continue to surprise me.

10. Robert Hill
    Stop

No, wait, PLEASE not another...

How can ANY piece of hardware running Windows Mobile 6.1 be yet another "iPhone killer"???

It may make a perfectly nice phone, it may make a perfectly great smartphone, and it may even be very fit for purpose...

But until you can use all of it's functionality with one or two fingers to navigate (no stylus needed), until it has an accelerometer for gestures and control, until it has it's own AppStore that can download programs OTA, and until it has seamless integration with a great music store: it's NOT an iPhone competitor. PLEASE can we just all agree that these are the things that make an iPhone unique, not simply a big touch screen and a media player?

I'm not saying these are things that are required to be a good smartphone - I'm just trying to say these are what make the iPhone an iPhone...

11. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

Erm, nothing to do with iPhone

It's not an iPhone rival. It doesn't have a particularly similar feature-set, and is just another WM device. It's not secret, because you're reporting it.

A better headline might have been "HP prepares new Windows Mobile device".

12. nuciphaal
    Stop

Parse the article, and...

Windows Mobile + iPhone Rival = DOES NOT COMPUTE.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Why Oh Why

Hardware sounds good but why oh why did HP ruin it by installing Windows Mobile??? Surely Embeded Xp would have been a better option, Hp may have needed to upgrade the processor but then it might, just might be a decent competitor to the IPhone

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like