back to article Revealed: How Street View marks its territory

Those of you who might have wondered just how Google maintains its global supremacy in privacy-busting black ops, and prevents usurpers deploying snoopmobile fleets of their own to photograph the entire planet for exposure to the unwashed masses, might be surprised to learn that the method owes little to hi-tech and more to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Dave
    Dead Vulture

@Article

"a precision made possible by Google's own satellite imagery"

Don't you mean by simple aerial photography? No satellite has that kind of resolution.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Pass on the evidence

I do hope that El Reg passes this evidence on to the authorities, as not only is urinating in public in the UK an offense, but the perpetrator will almost certainly get put on the sex offenders register. Do you want to be in a position of withholding evidence of a crime?

Of course it could end up that the man pictured had no "criminal intent" and that anyone offended by his action had "implicitly agreed" to what he did by not preventing it happening in the first place!

4. Peyton

ewww

No wonder the drivers don't want to be photographed.

5. Sooty

brave man

someone should have told him that doing that is a one way ticket onto the sex offenders registry nowadays.

If only the picture had teh number plate too it could still be submitted to the police as indecent exposure!!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

@Dave

Dave I think you will find there is no public satellite that has that resolution

Who knows what our overloards are capable of seeing from space

7. Geoff Webber
    Paris Hilton

I want to know

How google knew in advance of the need for spot marking and placed the handy red arrow on the ground so that the driver would know where to go.

Paris - cuz she always knows where to go for the best effect

8. breakfast Silver badge
    Boffin

They'll run how?

Run whelping? You do know that whelping is giving birth to puppies, right?

I'm fairly sure that it wwould be hard to run whilst doing that.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Let a fellow piss in peace.

I hope you're proud of yourselves, by publishing the exact date, time and location you've probably cost the poor fellow his job.

10. D@v3

viewing street view

does anyone know when we will be able to view such nabbed images?

11. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: They'll run how?

Haha! Fixed.

Much obliged, whelp.

12. Law
    Black Helicopters

omfg

Google have angered me now - surely for a company that loves "innovation" and tech it would take all of a day to modify their symbian version of Google maps to plot routes around - then pop their mobile up on the dash, and have it take you around the street's you've not mapped yet. Quick bit of 3g trickery and they can even log into a central server of locations of current cars out there, roads already mapped, and areas of interest, then you just coordinate the attack on privacy together, getting the pics done quicker for one location than on their own using a crappy atlas - thereby negating the issue of people protesting or putting up roadblocks, or even the Mail or Sun rallying their troops together for a moan.

See - if I worked for google, you wouldn't even have your google sightings map running - because it would have taken all of one day to catalogue all major cities of the UK!!! MWUHAHAHAHAHAHAR!!

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Anonymous Coward

Sorry to dissapoint you but Google arn't that advanced yet. It was indeed taken from a plane.

14. Ted Russ
    Alert

More hidden stuff

The Map showing location of "Black Marias" is also wrong - it shows no camcars in Australia yet I spoke to one of the drivers of one, two weeks ago, in Perth, Western Australia, and he's been driving for Google for about a year he said.

15. Steve Kay
    Happy

Raynes Park

To be honest, most people feel that way about Raynes Park.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

You'd think...

...with all the navigational technology at their disposal, they'd be able to accurately locate a public loo wouldn't you?

17. Neil
    Coat

Proof

That Google are pissing over us all....

18. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

@AC

I know that the picture shown is from a plane but my point was no PUBLIC satellite has that capability at the moment.

The powers that be do not show there powers until they have better powers to use

19. A J Stiles
    Coat

@ Dominic Kua

Surely a woman would just claim squatter's rights .....

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

1 Samuel 25

So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Licensed

Google doesn't own the satellite images. They are licensed.

22. Neoc

@AC

"The powers that be do not show there powers until they have better powers to use"

Reminds me of a (probably apocryphal) story of a US congressman's disbelief that the military satellite were as powerful as "they" made them out to be - until he got a phone-call telling him that the letter he was about to post was short a couple of stamps.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Just saw one in Oxford

Just saw one in Oxford. Was just cycling though, so couldn't snap it, or cover my face with a piece of paper emblazoned with "scroogle.org". Pity.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like