back to article OpenSSL patches, Apple bug fixes, Hilton's $700k hack bill, Kim Dotcom raid settlement, Signal desktop app, and more

Happy weekend, everyone, except those of you on call, of course. Let us catch you up on all the IT security bits and pieces besides what's been reported this week. Down in New Zealand, Kim Dotcom, the bête noire of Hollywood, reached a settlement with the New Zealand authorities over a rather dramatic raid in 2012 on his home …

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Pixel 2 XL handsets shipped with no operating system installed. Oops!

What? No joke about how this is the secure version? Tsk, tsk.

1. Captain DaFt

Yep, you'd think that news of the first truly secure smartphone would get a bit more press. ☺

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

How is a mistake like this even possible?

Google seems to have WAY more problems with the Pixel 2 than they've ever had on Nexus or the first gen Pixel. Maybe buying just a piece of HTC's operation wasn't such a great idea - they should have bought the part that does QA as well!

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge
        Unhappy

Re: How is a mistake like this even possible?

Google's phones are going down the toilet ... once they were usable, sweet devices but since they started pushing the products up-market they have become crap - the latest update is screwing all the older models.

How long have we all been at this software game? And code security is getting WORSE EVERY FRICKIN' YEAR ... You would think, given the continual release of exploits and security hole discoveries that the programmers and companies involved would up their game - but instead code quality is going the other direction.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wonder what the Trump apologists' excuse will be this time?

If Hillary uses personal email "lock her up!", but if Trump's daughter does it I'm sure there's a good reason why that's perfectly OK. Open records laws? Those are for the opposition, not for us!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I wonder what the Trump apologists' excuse will be this time?

You haven't been paying attention.

The response will be...

Wait for it....

Fake News/The media are biased/Iran did it (Delete as applicable)

I think it's pretty clear that Trump believes he and his entourage are above the law.

While were at it can we stop trying to blame the Russians for fixing the election? It's pretty clear the only country to gain from Trump as president is Israel, they have the technical expertise and Trumps removal of backing for a two state solution and the reapplying of sanction to Iran (not yet done but in the pipeline) indicate this. Russia have gained nothing. Please feel free to disagree with this statement, you can downvote if you wish but keep your antisemitism to yourself as I am just stating the facts.

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

"can we stop trying to blame the Russians for fixing the election?"

Everybody and his platypus tried to influence the US elections. The Russians got caught trying to do it anonymously.

Putin hated Hillary enough to make ending her career in politics an end in itself. There will be stories about the Russians influencing the US elections every month until the Trump apologists stop trying to divert attention elsewhere (so at least three more years). Get used to it.

1. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

"Putin hated Hillary enough to make ending her career in politics an end in itself."

He also hates Obama. He's pretty good at this hating thing. Mexicans also comes to mind.

He's not so good at being positive...

1. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

Whops, read Trump for Putin! Fits Trump for sure.

2. Palpy

Re: Stop blaming the Russians...

... the election is one year dead.

However, the Russian attempts to destabilize the US (and other countries) continues.

From "secession" movements in Texas and California to divisive propaganda on the NFL players kneeling and fanning racial violence, the efforts continue.

As noted in El Reg, Putin is clamping down on internet access in his own country. He is orchestrating a major online offensive internationally, and simultaneously building stronger defences against similar online attack against Russia.

Yes, propaganda campaigns are nothing new (Tokyo Rose, Voice of America, Lord Haw-Haw, and so forth) but IMHO public involvement with Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, et al, puts the game at a much higher and more dangerous level. This is not an issue which we should stop looking at.

Keep it in the news.

On a related note, I notice that whenever El Reg runs a story on Russian trolls and fake news, a number of Anonymous Cowards post to pooh-pooh Russian involvement. I wonder how many of them are low-level operatives from Putin's troll team? Many have rather bad English... Oh, hello, Ivan!

I've been wondering about BigJohn ...

The fact is that our "open society" has past its "sell by" date. I don't mean that we should abandon it at all - but we have to stop the rot and secure Democracy. We are under attack ... our own technology is being used against us.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@Palpy

Alas I'm not Russian, the closest I get is the vodka I drink on special occasions.

You make some good points but I just don't see what the Russians are going to get out of it, it's not going to change anything in America and if they get caught then America will introduce sanctions like they do with North Korea so it's counter intuitive. Israel on the other hand seem to be dictating American policy which they wouldn't be able to do to such an extent if Hillary got in. That's why I view it as an exercise in look over there, it was them. You might be right though I have an open mind on this and I'm not just going to believe the narrative the media spins at me without motive or actual evidence.

1. Tomato42
            Boffin

@AC: the Russian GDP halved in the past 3 years. The only reason why there are not riots in the streets in Russia is because the massive disinformation campaign that Putin and his KGB buddies are running.

He really needs those sanctions off.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

@Tomato42

As far as I am aware Trump signed into law legislation in August limiting his ability to remove said sanctions.

So either the Russians were not aware this would happen or they wasted their time. Sure, he's delaying now but he can't delay for ever. (end of January I believe for new sanctions)

2. Palpy

Re: What motive?

This has gotten a bit off-topic for the Reg article to hand, but Russia's motive in continuing to use American social media is simple and plain.

Sow discord in the house of your enemy.

As far as believing that the Russians used social media for propaganda during the election, you realize that the "narrative" is based on reports CIA, NSA, FBI, and the Office of the Director of National Intelligence, don't you? It is the formal and official finding of all the intelligence agencies which have responsibility in this area that: Yes, the Russians were using Facebook, Twitter, Linked-In, and Google's Youtube to post fake and inflammatory propaganda.

Actual evidence? Do you live in a hole in the ground? Facebook and Google have done their own analyses, and agreed that Russians were actively pushing propaganda on their platforms. In sworn testimony before the US Senate, Google said it found 1,108 videos with 43 hours of content related to the Russian effort on YouTube. Twitter told the Senate it found 2,752 accounts controlled by Russians, and that more than 36,000 Russian bots tweeted 1.4 million times during the election.

This narrative isn't created wholesale by "the media", Ivan -- er, AC. It's as solid as it gets. Now, прогуляться, Иван.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Re: What motive?

Palpy, did you ever consider the finding of "Russian" accounts is simply expedient? If the spooks are saying that they are there, then you "find" them, creating them if need be. Why? To avoid more attention, and to ensure that you are on the right side of the mob - otherwise revenues could fall. Moreover, if you can't find them then you look a little foolish, which again will impact revenue and prestige.

Also, you should try to get your Russian correct - you have used the infinitive form of the verb rather than the imperative (don't whine I am being technical, English has both these forms of the verb). But what I think you actually wanted to say was: Иди, ты знаешь куда. And a note about this expression, although there are not vulgar words in it, it is considered to be very very rude.

3. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Re: What about Isreal

One reason Palpy may be wondering if you are a Russian is that whataboutism is one of Putin's preferred tools. Palpy has provided a handy list of evidence pointing at Russia using false flag sock puppets to influence US political discussion. Perhaps you could provide equivalent evidence for Israel doing the same thing? I am sure Israel attempts to influence US policy, along with Vanuatu and the Operative Plasterers' and Cement Masons' International Association. So far none of those three have been caught using Twitter, Facebook and Youtube to sow discord on anything like the scale that Russia has (unless the Great Firewall of May strongly targets Vanuatuan plasterers).

I have no idea if you are a Russian shill, but using Wikipedia's list of fallacies as an instruction manual does cause suspicion.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

@Flocke Kroes

I'm now in a no win situation, I haven't heard of few of the terms you state and whilst they are fascinating I'm now in the "you would say that wouldn't you" situation.

You both make valid points and I take them on board. I'm sure the full truth will come out eventually.

This leaves me in the unenviable position of how do I prove I'm not Russian as an AC, what could I know that a Russian could never know being British? Not that I need to mind but it could be fun to try and think something up and yes we have gone off topic but curiosity being what it is forces me to ask questions sometimes.

So, the British test.

"The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain, The Water in Majorca Don't Taste Like What It Oughta" - I remember that advert when I was a kid along with the Umbongo one.

Here's the tech one to prove my I'm British, My first hack, BBC Micro B, teacher leaves us with program, can't remember exact name but something like ghost or spirit writer, anyone that completes it wins a Mars bar so me being a smart arse reads the loader file and moves to the end of game, teacher comes back and tells me to "f*ck off" what with it being a rough arse comprehensive school.

So there you go.

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Re: Proving you are not a Russian spy

Yes, you are in a no win situation. This is the internet, so perhaps I am a team of IBM lawyers - I certainly cannot prove otherwise. We would need access to server logs and the ability into inject javascript spyware to stand a chance.

Although the possibility of you (and others) being Russian spies crosses my mind, I try to treat you (and others) like humans with different points of view. Doing otherwise quickly causes the thread to degenerate into name calling, and everyone else will think both of us are a pair of obnoxious twits.

If you are not familiar with the list of logical fallacies, I thoroughly recommend a read. You can test you ability to detect them with some old Andrew Orlowski articles (he has improved considerably this year).

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

Re: Proving you are not a Russian spy

I get it now, what you are saying is my logic has a formal fallacy therefore my reasoning would have been better put had I said why is the focus on Russia not that Russia are innocent which I suppose is what I was really trying to say. I have a general distrust of the mainstream media due to the lies they try to push which always serve an agenda, don't get me wrong, sometimes they are right but they should be right all the time.

I also enjoy threads that follow a mutual respect pattern as you learn more.

2. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

" teacher comes back and tells me to "f*ck off" what with it being a rough arse comprehensive school"

You hacked a BBC Micro and write like a 25 year old? Looks fishy to me.

1. Captain Badmouth
                  Happy

"You hacked a BBC Micro and write like a 25 year old? Looks fishy to me."

C'mon, it was an impoverished rough-arsed comprehensive, barely able to afford pencils and paper, comrade-ooh! what a giveaway!

3. Duncan Macdonald

If you were an enemy - would you prefer your opponent to be led by an incompetent blowhard or by a malevolent witch. Answer that question and you can see why Putin prefers Trump as US President.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Putin potentially had a lot to gain with president Trump

Russia has been hit hard by the sanctions we imposed on them after they invaded Crimea, and low oil prices haven't helped. He knew there was zero chance of Hillary letting up on those sanctions, she's always believed in economic warfare to stop bad behavior. Trump is about as transparent and easily manipulable as they get for someone with Putin's KGB experience, so he would be a dream president. You puff him up by saying good things about him, and he likes you. You say bad things about him and he'll go a Twitter rant like an angry child. If Cruz had won the nomination instead, Putin probably wouldn't care who won - he might have even preferred Hillary over Cruz based on "devil you know" logic.

There is already evidence that the Trump team was looking into relieving the sanctions even before he took office, which could have perhaps had an innocent enough explanation if not for the press starting to shine a light on possible Trump/Russia collusion. If he had done it right after taking office, as Putin was no doubt hoping he would, he would have only added fuel to the fire so it was no longer an option. If there was no fake news free press and Fox News was our only media outlet, the sanctions would already be gone, since they've been treating the collusion investigation as a joke from day one (and will probably treat it as a massive anti-Trump conspiracy when he's impeached)

Had those sanctions been lifted, Putin would be toasting his success and be plotting how to manipulate his little orange puppet into supporting him taking back more of the former Soviet empire. Unfortunately for him he may have a sympathetic ear in the White House, but one who is no longer in any position to help him.

4. Kiwi
        Black Helicopters

I think it's pretty clear that Trump believes he and his entourage are above the law.

Except his one-time-bestest-bud Comey, who turned out to know something of the meaning of "integrity". Or more recently, his former National Security Advisor - or several in between - in those cases the shortest line from "state hero" to "public enemy #1" is via the vacuum between the vacuous one's ears.

Russia have gained nothing.

As someone else pointed out elsewhere on El Reg, they're gaining a fractured USA. Someone else(?) suggested Russia can play a very long game.

Not to say other states aren't involved. But dumping the 2-states may not be in Israel's best interest, despite national pride what is best for her is what brings peace.

5. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"I think it's pretty clear that Trump believes he and his entourage are above the law."

Substitute Clinton for Trump and you still have a true statement. Many US votes felt they had to pick the less bad of two horrible choices in the election.

Here's hoping both parties decide to nominate someone electable in 2020. Don't laugh - it could happen!

2. P. Lee

I would hate to be thought of as a Trump apologist, but using the wrong email client might be a little different from setting up an off-site email server. Setting up postfix is easy, but it isn't something you do by mistake.

However, by all means, lock them both up!

1. DCFusor

Sure, lock them all up...

If there's a difference, I suppose it'd be that one of them was in office and playing loose with state secrets and doing that on purpose...specifically to avoid accountability, but hey, I just read and try to understand.

Limiting the locking up to just those two is a bit short-sighted, eh?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> I would hate to be thought of as a Trump apologist, but using the wrong email client might be a little different from setting up an off-site email server.

Well, that's true. But on the other hand, Ivanka should be using different devices for personal and government business and she shouldn't have the email contacts for government officials on her personal devices, which would prevent her from making the mistake in the first place.

The fact that she appears not to seems to suggest that she appears not to care. And that's just as big or small a deal as Hillary not caring.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

What about those of us who would lock them both up?

4. Ian Michael Gumby
      Boffin

@Doug S... Re: I wonder what the Trump apologists' excuse will be this time?

Dude,

You really need to understand the facts and the law before you spout some nonsense.

What Clinton did was to use a personal secret server instead of conducting her business on a .gov email account. This was done with the intent of violating the FOIA.

To make matters worse, she and her staff routinely sent classified material to and from said server. That in itself is a felony violation of the Espionage Act. There's more but lets save that for another story...

The point is that using a personal email account for business, but not for sending or receiving classified material, is in fact legal and permissible under the "Official Records Act" which Bill Clinton expanded to include e-mail while he was POTUS.

The catch is that the person has to send the emails to be archived within I think either 60 or 90 days post transmission. (So if you need to contact someone and you can't connect to the .gov servers, you can still do so within the law as long as those communications are submitted to be archived. )

Clinton? It wasn't until Gucifer outed her by posting emails from her secret server to her best bud Syd. B.

That was 2 years after she left office.

There.

Do you now understand the law?

BTW, Hillary Clinton as SoS fired the Ambassador to Kenya for using his personal email account for doing business, as well as sent out memos warning all of her staff (State Dept employees) not to use personal email for official business. Do you see the irony here?

1. Kiwi
        FAIL

Re: @Doug S... I wonder what the Trump apologists' excuse will be this time?

There's more but lets save that for another story...

What, like 9(or was it more?) investigations by the FBI et al - an organisation with many people who'd love to put one or more clitons in jail - found there was nothing to go on?

But hey, at her worst shrillary has only stuffed around with email, unlike the retardlians who also have been screwing around with email.

But can we take a look at your beloved child-molestor-in-chief? Why was it a victim in a child abuse case against him suddenly felt she would be much safer if she dropped the charges rather than putting him in prison where he belongs? How about the women who were pointing out stuff about him? Everyone's acting against Kevin Spacey and that other movie guy (initials HW I think, Harvey or Harry something) but el presirapist? Somehow he seems to have had those allegations disappear. Even the ones where CMIC was admitting it himself.

Clintons a rabid bitch and maybe should be treated as such, but she is a far far better person than the garbage you protect. And we haven't even started on the number of "Good God-fearing American's" who've died as a result of drumf (actually I have no idea how many, but suspect it's a number higher than would've happened is that other thing had gotten in)

1. Ian Michael Gumby
          Boffin

@Kiwi Re: @Doug S... I wonder what the Trump apologists' excuse will be this time?

Since you're not an American, I'll spell it out to you...

As of Monday, its been revealed that Comey changed the wording of his draft to not say that Clinton was Grossly Negligent because that would have meant they would have to charge her and her staff. At the same time, there was intent. She and her staff intended to violate the FOIA and the Official Records Act by having this server in place. This is in to the addition that there are allegations of pay to play as well.

Why now in 2017? Because the investigation was tainted and both Lynch and Comey tanked the investigation.

Clintons are trash. You clearly don't know their history and their scandals. Trump is an alter boy compared to them.

Please pay attention to the US news over the next couple of months. Because Clinton didn't win... the SHTF is about to happen.

2. DavCrav

Re: @Doug S... I wonder what the Trump apologists' excuse will be this time?

"What Clinton did was to use a personal secret server instead of conducting her business on a .gov email account. This was done with the intent of violating the FOIA."

So secret she told the State Department about it, and offered them every e-mail on it? Loads of the e-mails off that server are in the departmental archive, the rest were deleted after State said they didn't want them.

But, I guess these are actual facts, in the real world, so not of much interest to you.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Ian Michael Gumby

I suppose you think that Ivanka and others in Trump's administration who are using personal email aren't also doing it to avoid FOIA / Presidential Records Act? That's the sole reason anyone uses personal email, and it doesn't matter whether it is a server in your home or a gmail cloud account. It is illegal, and especially after Trump spouted off about this and still thinks she should be jailed for it, it is hypocritical of ANY Trump supporter to excuse Ivanka's behavior.

Just because we don't have evidence of her sending or receiving classified information with personal email doesn't mean it hasn't been happening - maybe you would like an investigation of her that requires finding all emails she sent or received to determine that? I mean, you supported it for Hillary, so it should be done in Ivanka's case too? Or are democrats the only ones you want to investigate, and republicans get a pass?

5. Aodhhan

I don't condone any government official using their private email, but keep things in perspective when you make a comparison. Hillary used her private server to maintain and distribute TS/SCI SAP classified documents.

1. Kiwi

Hillary used her private server to maintain and distribute TS/SCI SAP classified documents.

Cool. Ring the FBI with your evidence, I'm sure they're champing at the bit to do yet another investigation into this. Certainly they haven't found any evidence of her doing that so far but hey, you sound like you have proof!

So come on, give them a call. May even get yourself a hefty reward for it! Might even be $US10's of thousands!

(El Reg - an icon with someone with money in their mouth, ie "put your money where your mouth is" please?)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

M&S staffer installs Chrome

Was this before or after he'd tried IE6?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: M&S staffer installs Chrome

Intranet Explorer 6 isn't much use for Internet stuff; having said that Edgey can't seem to decide if it's competent enough or not ^_^

4. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

And here's one you may have missed

http://theartnewspaper.com/news/galleries-lose-large-sums-to-cybercrime

Re: And here's one you may have missed

That's a very good story - Thank you, I've just passed it to everyone I work with!

It seems that we need to go back to payment by paper cheques - sure there are fraud risks there but the banking system is well versed in detecting them. It's starting to look like the entire financial system technology is effectively broken for day to day use. You can be as secure as possible, but when your client is hacked We're all screwed.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It looks me it's more that some people are so used to dodgy payments, that they can't spot one against themselves...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Terminator

"The fraud is relatively simple. Criminals hack into an art dealer’s email account and monitor incoming and outgoing correspondence"

How did the criminals hack into the art dealer’s email account in the first place, don't spare on the technical details.

5. Daedalus
    Pint

The Azure Edge of Chrome

Anybody who tries to do a presentation that relies on the network being available, fast, and capable of delivering the required data, is a fool.

Rule 1 of presenting : bring your own hardware.

Rule 2 : bring the presentation on at least two different storage devices.

Rule 3 : there is no Rule 3.

Rule 4 : expect the unexpected. Keep your whiteboarding skills up.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: The Azure Edge of Chrome

Rule 3 : there is no Rule 3. Also bring your presentation on OHP acetates and have an OHP projector and spare bulb in the boot of your car. 35mm slides and projector as additional backup for the seriously paranoid and/or experienced.

1. Mark 85

I'd also add: Have handouts of the entire presentation just in case all else fails.

2. Kiwi

Rule 3 : there is no Rule 3. Also bring your presentation on OHP acetates and have an OHP projector and spare bulb in the boot of your car. 35mm slides and projector as additional backup for the seriously paranoid and/or experienced.

You forgot to also have a backup scanner+printer+fax, plus individual examples of each machine, with spare ink/toner/fusers etc. Plus a spare mimeograph and several bottles of meths. Hopefully, if all else fails, the smell may cause the audience to forget all about it...

1. hplasm
          Pint

"several bottles of meths."

This is Rule One if mainly using Powerpoint.

Distribute to audience and self.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hacking the home

Been plenty of reports of this in personal finance programs in the UK in the past year or so .... hacker gains comtrol of email account of people like builders/garages/etc, monitor emails until see a client approaching point of need to make a major payment and then sending a request, that appears to come from the right email account, requesting transfer to a new bank account. Result hacker gets the money, builder etc is still demanding to be paid and bank says "you chose to transfer the money so nothing to do with us".

1. Giles C Silver badge

Re: Hacking the home

It always amazes me that people will transfer huge sums of money without question.

I always follow this procedure when setting up a new payment.

1 confirm details with person who should get the money

2 set up payment online

3 pay them a pound and check they receive it. If not I have lost £1 hardly the end of the world.

4 if 3 was successful send the rest of the money

That was I have confirmed the money is going to the correct account and both parties are safe in the knowledge the details are correct and we can keep using them.

Works for all the usual people I get to do work for me, plumbers, electricians.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Hacking the home

"Works for all the usual people I get to do work for me, plumbers, electricians."

What, no cash in hand?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ooo err missus!

> On a reconnaissance mission in Berlin, the hackers found an open device that could have been activated.

And the device would have been quickly located as belonging to the missus going oo err!

8. Kiwi
    Paris Hilton

LOCK HER UP! LOCK HER UP!

First off, President Donald Trump's daughter Ivanka came under the spotlight for using her personal email for US government business. This isn't the first time she's been warned on this, and details emerged from a freedom-of-information request that she was still using her personal inbox for conversations with treasury department officials.

Is drumpf going to utter those idioticimmortal words this time round? Or, like with so much else, is that only for his enemies?

And, speaking of his enemies, how long before his loverdaughter becomes one of them?

1. 2Nick3

Re: LOCK HER UP! LOCK HER UP!

"Is drumpf going to utter those idioticimmortal words this time round? Or, like with so much else, is that only for his enemies?"

Because apples and oranges are the same thing - the word "Confidential" is really key here.

9. Hans 1

Aja or Azure ? Bad Brains fan, here ?

I luv ajaahhhh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFm5fx80o44

One question I have is who would have the patience to listen to Michael for more than 5 minutes, I tried, I really did try to, hm, listen, but the bloke is full of crap ... so I cheated, went from 0:04:20 straight to to 0:36:00 to get a bit of context ...

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Edge just wasn't working properly with the Redmond cloud

At that point, maybe it would have been better to make your apologies and go home.

I doubt that would have resulted in an El Reg article exposing you and your employer to ridicule from your peers.

But I get it: it is in our DNA just to make it work - and I thank you, anonymous staffer, for providing this evening's (US) entertainment.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wouldn't wish Microsoft Edge on my worst enemy

Use Chrome, one of the Chromium variants, Firefox, Pale Moon, Vivaldi, Brave, Opera, Safari etc.

Edge is just a rebranded Internet Explorer, because 'Internet Explorer' had become a punchline in tech jokes. The 'geniuses' at Microsoft came up with 'The Browser You Loved To Hate' and 'Web Slices'... I rest my case.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The scammers are now targeting home buyers.

As IT Manager of a company doing the legal bit of buying a selling houses, this is far from being news. It's only really taken off since Office 365 came in though, the phising scams have been coming in thick and fast for the last ten years. It really took off with the advent of Office 365.

13. Valerion

Hilton

Paid £700,000 to New York State.

But nothing to those whose cards were leaked, cloned and otherwise monkeyed with?

14. JJKing
    Coat

Only one more piece of the puzzle needed for absolute proof.

C'mon, it was an impoverished rough-arsed comprehensive, barely able to afford pencils and paper, comrade-ooh! what a giveaway!

Now if will just admit that he went to Cambridge University, same place as the other five, we will have proof that his name is really Comrade Anonymous Coward.

Mine's the one that is reversible for use of tailing them wot speaks funny and writes in acrylic.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like