back to article Biggest Tor overhaul in a decade adds layers of security improvements

Tor developers have taken the wraps off the next generation of onion services. The alpha release promises the biggest overhaul in the anonymizing network for the past 10 years. The opening section of the change log provides a good overview of the tweaks, some of which aim to address recently discovered security weaknesses in …

1. John Sanders
    Linux

The future...

The future of information Is blockchain or it will not be.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Re: The future...

That's got to be one of the features they were just kidding about.

1. Adam 1

Re: The future...

Why do you say that? Shirley a publicly verifiable record of all transactions is the goal of the TOR project. Perfect for blockchains.

2. The Nazz

Reading all that technical spec has made my eyes water.

3. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

No doubt the D will complain this helps the usual 4 horsemen....

One man's privacy is another man's secrecy.

One man's security is another man's fear.

4. Wolfclaw

As if a 3 letter U.S insecurity agency isn't already studying the code for vulnerabilities !

1. Kiwi
      Linux

As if a 3 letter U.S insecurity agency isn't already studying the code for vulnerabilities

I'd suspect all the worlds TLA/FLA/xLAs are. Even the kiwi ones, though it's probably better just to refer to them as LA LA LAnd...

I'd also suspect a great many 'criminal" and "terrorist" organisations are studying it for things they can (ab)use.

Problem is, it's the best we have for now (unless that other thing (I2P?) is better), and the more time goes on the more bugs get found and removed (although changing the underlying protocols may not be a great idea - I don't mean the PKI but other significant changes).

Fun times ahead...

5. Aodhhan

What wasn't noted...

The development help by the NSA.

Upgrading all existing onions the NSA owns.

...etc.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like