back to article HPE HQ to leave Palo Alto birthplace as it 'consolidates' offices

HPE's many rounds of redundancies and sell-offs have seen it decide the time is right to downsize its headquarters and move it away from its birthplace in Palo Alto. The company's version of events is that it has “transformed into a smaller, nimbler company, and now has the opportunity to consolidate its Silicon Valley real …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Will the last one to leave

please turn out the lights.

There will be no money left to pay the bill.

Meg and her chums will have it all in their bank accounts around the world.

To be serious for a moment, I'd probably not even bother to look at buying anything with an HP badge on it now. Once the HP badge meant quality and reliability... now? certainly not that and with 'C' level execs determined to 'rightsize' the company down to zero what of the future?

1. Mr Dogshit

Re: Will the last one to leave

"not even bother to look at buying anything with an HP badge on it now"

HP badge or HPE badge?

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

They'll be going back to Palo Alto soon

A few more years of this inspired leadership and the garage will be just the right size for them again.

"Venerated Valley brand" about sums it up. There doesn't appear to be much else left.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: They'll be going back to Palo Alto soon

They might be going back to a garage ... but not in Palo Alto. Not at those prices.

3. jake Silver badge

Years behind, as usual.

Most of us left Palo Alto to the imports a couple decades ago.

4. SniperPenguin
    Coat

'smaller, nimbler company'

Surely it would be "Nimbler"?

5. hplasm
    Coat

From the photo-

It seems they are moving into three VLSI chips.

Now that's downsizing...

1. ecofeco Silver badge
      Coat

Re: From the photo-

Well they do have a lot of... capacitance.

Where did I leave it? ------------------------------------>

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Makes sense

“Our new building will better reflect who HPE is today and where we are heading in the future.”

Starbucks often do have pretty good WiFi..and later on McDonalds, as their coffee costs less. And they can use the Samsung tablets to save on Laptop costs.

7. TonyJ

Well yeah...they would be smaller...they've been taking the axe to their workforce for the last 5+ years!

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Longer than that!

2. thomn8r

they've been taking the axe to their workforce for the last 5+ years!

s/5/20/g

8. ToddRundgrensUtopia

Dear Mug,

Well done for accelerating the trashing of a once great company and getting paid shedloads for. You and your execs still believe you are doing a good job because no one dares tell you the clothes you wear are invisible.

You don't produce anything that I can't buy from someone else and for less money.

1. Just An Engineer

Dear Mug

"no one dares tell you the clothes you wear are invisible."

Now I will have that visual in my head for the rest of the day, Thanks A Lot...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Meh

> But HPE understands the significance of the move: founder’s Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard started the company in a Palo Alto garage. Leaving Palo Alto is therefore a big break for the company.

Bill & Dave's personal correspondence has gone up in flames, might as well burn your bridges as well.

10. Starace

New building?

“Our new building will better reflect who HPE is today and where we are heading in the future.”

So the new building is actually a Dumpster?

1. FLes

Re: New building?

No, it will be a dumpster that is on fire.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: New building?

A current American fashion. It's ALL the rage!

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You can't blame Meg entirely

Apple obliterated the HP site in Cupertino I used to work at. Some say that was revenge or at least Schadenfreude on Steve Jobs's part. It was the site where the HP 3000 was developed, now merely a bite of doughnut.

I drove the kids (twenties) down Page Mill Road a few months ago, when we were visiting them over there. It was downright embarrassing to see HP and HPE next to each other, as if there had been a rough divorce and they'd just split the house in two. I suppose there had been, really.

But Meg is just the last in a line of people who thought the name more important than the ideals of the company. It started off downhill with the Agilent split and it's merely been accelerating over recent years.

Old HP-ers mourn the HP Way with good reason.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: You can't blame Meg entirely

And as an old-style HP customer I mourn the engineering-driven HP too.

Ironic that Apple is the last man standing from the old school vertically integrated manufacturers.

12. EarthDog

Far overdue

I've been saying it for years, with global connectivity it makes zero sense to have a large work force and offices in the most expensive place in the US to run a business. But San Jose is still very pricy. They should look to Des Moines, Pittsburgh, Ashley, or some other civilized city with good infrastructure. They already have offices in Roseville and Sacramento and the Bay Area are not that far away.

1. aimlesscat

Re: Far overdue

Actually, they sold most of the Roseville campus and are already in the process of shutting down the rest. The cities that you mentioned are nice but to do real tech innovation you need to be a valley tramp or live on the east coast....but wait, the folks at Compaq oops I mean HPE don't innovate.

Houston is fine for them....cheap and slow

13. ManMountain1

The Aruba offices are meant to be seriously state of the art though so can see why it was selected.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A NEW CHAPTER IN HP HISTORY !!!!!!

CHAPTER 11 !!!!!!!!!

15. TheBigCat

Santa Clara

I was wondering why the mayor of San Jose was celebrating a move to Santa Clara. But HP is also moving people to San Jose. http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/11/02/hpe-to-shift-offices-hundreds-of-jobs-to-santa-clara-san-jose-milpitas/

16. Networking Dude

Stanford to the Rescue?

Since they are buying everything around them in Palo Alto, why not HP property?? They have enough billionaire alumni to fund it...

17. DanPittPaloAlto

HPE is not HP

HP still exists, with the domain hp.com. It's what we call HP Inc. and it's doing very well on Page Mill Road and Hanover Street. They make PCs and printers and are not only thriving but also having a good time. No one at HPE seems to be having a good time.

Agilent should have kept the HP name and sent the rest off as Compaq.

18. Androgynous Cow Herd

I just recognized the buildings

The picture (to the bottom of the article) is of the Nimble campus , 211 River Oaks - right next to Cisco.

19. Dwarf

A Sad day

Everything has got roots and when your root is gone, you are done for.

Works for trees

Works for Linux (UID and /)

Works for HPUX

Works for HP|HPE

But at least a line on a spreadsheet said they saved a few £, so that makes it all OK

(Even though the model was flawed, even though it didn't consider customers,even though the accountant couldn't count, etc)

20. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

The real deal

HP's most used product in Silicon Valley continues to be office buildings.

21. HurdImpropriety

I WONDER if these newly moved employees will have to suffer through having active SEAT SENSORS under their seats to verify they are in their offices?? Happened before.. will happen again.

Thank you HP for such a wonderfully craptastic experience.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like