back to article Brave Twitter axes Russian media ads 11 months after the fact

Twitter has kicked up a fresh new crop of controversies over both its advertising policies and its user numbers. The San Francisco-based milliblogging giant said Thursday it would stop taking ads from two major Russian state-backed media outlets, Russia Today and Sputnik, effective immediately. Both publications had recently …

1. Winkypop Silver badge
    Devil

Now

Can they axe the great twatter-er himself?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So the ads served by two prominent Russian state backed news networks swayed Americans in the election.

Either my coffee hasn't kicked in or I woke up in the twilight zone. That's preposterous.

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Madness is as madness does. Yes?

Welcome to the asylum, AC.

Is the currrent world being run by tools and/or fools following and releasing sub-prime scripts for mass confusion?!.

And the answer to that direct question is a resounding YES.

So ...... the correction for that abomination is .....?

Bigger and Better Beta Prime Scripts ...... for CHAOS [Clouds Hosting Advanced Operating Systems] with Taller Tales on Enlightening Trails?

Madness is as madness does. Yes? Genius however Trumps it without Trumpeting it

Would El Reg like to Trial and Trail Blaze for CHAOS [Clouds Hosting Advanced Operating Systems] with Taller Tales on Enlightening Trails?

And would El Regers love to offer Virtual Support and Remote Guidance/ AIMentoring and Practical Effective Monitoring of Trails and Tales and Trials Provided for Source Code Evaluation of Programs Running in Live Operational Virtual Environments for Greater Advanced IntelAIgent Games Plays in Virtual Futured Augmented Reality Scapes.

Yay or Nay to an Open Offer providing for Safe Homes with Secure Havens.

RSVP .... amfM

Re: Madness is as madness does. Yes? Genius however Trumps it without Trumpeting it

Anyone care dare share a valued guesstimate as to what that Simply Complex Action for HyperRadioProActive would do for El Reg Virtual Street Cred and Situation Publishing Share Prices?

cc ... https://situationpublishing.com/home/contact-us/

2. h4rm0ny

Of course they did. The $100,000 that these Russian companies spent on Twitter ads was very influential. It certainly carries more weight than the $141 million Hillary spent on ads or the $58 million Trump did. Don't you know that Russian ads are many times more effective than US ones. Especially online ones where people never ignore them routinely.

Facebook has refused numerous requests to actually show examples of these adverts. Twitter will likely do the same. Probably because of the supreme effectiveness of these ads makes them too dangerous to reveal to the public.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

In post-soviet Russia ad influences you ...

3. Alister
    Facepalm

I couldn't work out why Twitter would block the Radio Times...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Because they are backed by an extremely biased state owned media company, the BBC.

4. h4rm0ny

Personally I find it deeply shocking that a media outlet such as Russia Today should be purchasing ads for itself in the run up to the USA's largest media event. What were they up to?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Russian bought adverts influenced US presidential election?

I have it on good authority it was albino shape shifting reptiles from a planet in the Draco constellation that bought the adverts.

1. Alister

Re: Russian bought adverts influenced US presidential election?

I have it on good authority it was albino shape shifting reptiles from a planet in the Draco constellation that bought the adverts.

You've been listening to David Icke again, haven't you?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like