back to article DARPA seeks ultrasonic auto-scab tourniquets

US researchers intend to develop an automated ultrasonic cuff which could be fitted to the arms or legs of wounded troops to stop blood loss and so save the limb - or indeed the whole soldier. The Engineer reports that Siemens Healthcare has received a contract under which it will partner with Texas A & M and the University of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dan Webb
    Thumb Up

Pomaceous treat?

Gold.

2. Jason
    Happy

lol

"the famous Pentagon research bureau which, when scrumping apples from the tree of knowledge, ignores the low-hanging fruit in favour of the harder-to-reach pomaceous treat which often turns out to be beyond its reach."

I'll have what he's been drinking

3. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Up the power and ?

up the power and you would not have to strap it to a person, just point and the blood coagulates.

Now, that would make a great weapon,

phasers at the ready.

4. Paul Murphy
    Coat

Blood freezing minefield

What a great toy for the Merkins! lay them on the floor and wait for people to walk over them, killing people by sound - didn't Kate Bush have a song about that?

I can also picture a solder wrapping one around their head 'for a laugh' though I guess it could also be used as a torture threat, 'killing' a limb at a time.

The possibilities!

ttfn

mines the one with the noise-cancelling headphones

5. Ash
    Alert

Won't someone PLEASE think of the...

... Deep Vein Thrombosis?

6. Brutus

@Ash

Small chance of DVT or a significantly higher risk of not having any blood left in you. Your choice :-)

7. Steven Hunter
    Coat

Calling Dr. Who...

Oh, so it's a bloody sonic bandage...

Mine's the one that's bigger on the inside.

8. Tim Robson

Civilian applications

Ok, so, this has great potential in military use. Definitely a good place to do the initial research, and to get it working.

But what about civilian usage, too? Think about it. Every construction site should have certain first aid kit components on hand to staunch significant bleeding and such, so why not have one of these? Expensive, probably, but realistically, if you're in a high risk environment, it could be the difference between life and death, or keeping that arm or not. Any environment where you run a significant risk of losing a limb if something goes wrong, it would be worth having one. Just having one in 50 being used would make it worthwhile in most people's minds. Hell, loggers would love these things, as would anyone in a remote area.

How about on ambulances? How many people die or lose a limb because you can't staunch bleeding in time? Gunshot wounds? Knife injuries (Accidental and otherwise)?

If these pan out, I might just fork over the extra cash to keep one in my medical kit for when I go camping. (In case you're wondering, my definition of camping involves being so far past civilization that cell phones tend to have been completely non-functional for the last twenty+ miles and the likelihood of someone hurt getting any kind of speedy rescue is effectively nil)

9. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Joke(r) alert...

@ Tim robinson

"so far past civilization that cell phones tend to have been completely non-functional for the last twenty+ miles"

ummm.... ill go for "north of watford then" ;)

@ Paul Murphy

"didn't Kate Bush have a song about that?"

weren't they *all* like that? :P

paris because she doesnt care about london either.

10. Mr Mark V Thomas

Re: Joker alert

Said Kate Bush song title was Experiment IV, as I recall, & seemed to follow Monty Python's "Killer Joke" skit, in said researchers were trying to find "A sound that could kill someone from a distance ...".

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like