back to article Sprint threatens P2P throttling on WiMAX

Sprint has reserved the right to limit the bandwidth of P2P file sharers on its brand new broadband wireless network.. According to the "acceptable use and network management policy" for the thing called Xohm, the company "may use various tools and techniques designed to limit the bandwidth available for certain bandwidth …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Disco-Legend-Zeke
    Paris Hilton

Once you have good Internet, you don't need Cable or Phone Company

The winner in the new Space will be the pure Internet players, and not the triple play vendors.

Once you have bandwidth, your WI-FI appliance can look like a cable box or a phone.

Comcast was the first to get this, and they are doing their best to make sure you don't find it out.

Paris would understand.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

will I need my tin-foil hat

to keep all those little electrons from running amock in my brain

Paris, 'cuz she would have my electrons running amock regardless of my protection

3. Anonymous Coward
    Go

wimax has multicast ,so use it

its pritty simple really Sprint and all the worlds isp's want to save bulk bandwidth right.

wimax has multicast to and from the end user cpe kit as a generic bandwidth saving protocol ,so use it.

Sprint take the existing free java az/vuse codebase and the existing bamboo multicasting dht java cadebase and retrofit them together for free all it takes is a few quid to commission some coders to make these simple changes, add in the required new multicasting p2p and add a tunnel for this new code to use and end users to to take advantage of if their isp doesnt allow open multicast traffic and everyone wins.

so do it asap Sprint and the other isps and its your cheapest option anyway, potentially saving vast amounts of wireless banwidth and eveyone wins, you vant ask for more and you might start a new trend and have lots of 3rd party coders retro fitting multicast in to all the current high bandwidth wastful unicast streams haveing no other choice until multicast is finally provided end to end to the paying customers/end users cpe kit.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

"it should at least be commended for admitting - upfront - that such throttling might happen"

Oh, well that's all right then.

5. Andus McCoatover
    Alien

@wimax has multicast ,so use it

Er, should this have had the "amanfrommars" icon, cos I barely understood a fuc*king word of it...

Or, maybe, we should have a poppadum icon, symbolising Indian Call Centres...

'Strewth, spellchecker anyone?

6. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

@Andus the ignorant

ignorance comes in many forms Andus, not everyone that reads ElReg uses English as their first language, if you dont understand the points made then why not simply ask and learn something instead of playing the spelling police, adding nothing to the thread, and generally being a fucking prick.

the old UC/MC argument is very old,but to put it in simple terms even you can understand, MC saves lots of bandwidth as you send your files only once to everyone listening, instead of 1 copy to each app/person seperately, the Wimax default by design is to have it turned on, giveing you the ability to stream video almost free in bandwidth terms,simple and easy to your end users kit.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like