back to article AMD sales soar, actually makes a profit, beats expectations, share price... decimated

AMD revenues were up, an actual proper profit was banked, and its future looking brighter than ever in the past financial quarter... meanwhile investors are selling off shares fearing a downturn looming for the chip designer. Strong sales from its Ryzen and Epyc Zen-based processor lines helped the world's second-favorite x86 …

1. Oh Homer
    Pint

Spooky

My RSS reader popped up this article at the exact moment I was shopping for my next Ryzen-based PC on Amazon.

Good to see AMD back on form, even if investors are paranoid.

2. FrankAlphaXII

Welcome news for sure. I had a choice between a Core i9 and a Threadripper, and I picked the Threadripper. The extra PCI-E lanes sold it for me. Then again, if I'm honest with myself, I've never been much on Intel for anything but Xeons.

I kind of wanted to check out Optane, but you're locked into Intel if you want to use it and I'm not a fan of that. Plus, regardless of their technology's merits or not, I kind of have a personal beef with Intel, they fucked over a family member (hell two if you count my sister's mother who had to go to Arizona to keep her job) who worked for them for 35 years earlier this year. For all their empty virtue signaling about women in technology they sure as fuck don't put their money where their mouth is.

Investors are usually idiots. Companies with no value and/or long term prospects or are circling the drain because their leadership are clueless get far overvalued (lookin' at you HPE, Twatter) while those actually doing something get shit on. Its nothing new.

AMD's in a good spot though, they've got good products. I'm looking forward to getting Vega video cards, my current RX cards are good but the Vegas look like they're going to be that much better.

1. Mark 85

For all their empty virtue signaling about women in technology they sure as fuck don't put their money where their mouth is.

SNAFU. Money is for shareholders not for worker bees.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

My sister's mother

@FrankAlphaXII: Just to clarify, did you mean your sister-in-law's mother or your step-sister's mother? Your sister's mother is, of course, also your mother.

3. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge
    Headmaster

Decimated

Extra points for correct use :)

4. James 51

It will be nice to be able to buy a graphics card at not vastly inflated prices. I bet raven ridge comes out before I see a RX580 at its rrp though.

1. Ben1892

Share price closed @ $14.25 - I think there was some profit-taking then others deciding that cryptomining wasn't going anywhere soon. I have a feeling AMD won't see any of the forecast "leveling off" of revenue, no matter how badly I want a sensibly-priced gaming card !

5. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Alien

Tinfoil Hat Time

It's almost as if someone in high places doesn't want AMD to succeed so tries to destabilise their financial position.

6. Jimbo in Thailand
    Pint

Good boy, AMD! You're a BAD dog, Intel!

I'm extremely happy that AMD is back in the game and actually making a net profit. It's not surprising that Intel hasn't released anything significant in years, only begrudgingly releasing incremental performance improvements and die shrinks. And those have all been delayed releases.

Yep, it's obvious that sloth Intel has been holding back on releasing new kickass X86 products since as soon as chipzilla learned of Ryzen it magically announced its new i9 series (from out of nowhere). Of course this was to put AMD back in its place. This shows what a POS company Intel is without competition... and exactly why we need AMD to do well.

7. PaulR79
    Unhappy

Intel - boo, hiss!

I wonder how many other people are similar to me. I am no fan of Intel or their shady methods but until very recently AMD have not been really able to compete on price and / or performance so while I dislike Intel I have had to stick with them. It isn't such a problem for me, the inevitable two chip motherboard before needing a new socket, but that's mainly due to me preferring a laptop.

I would really like to have given AMD my money to stick it to Intel but they just missed the boat. I needed a new laptop this month and I know what to expect from the Intel and nVidia combination in that form factor.

1. phuzz Silver badge

Re: Intel - boo, hiss!

Depends how far back you go, just over ten years ago AMD had the Athlon 64, which was cheaper, faster and cooler than Intel's offerings, oh, and it was 64 bit whilst still fully compatible with 32bit OSes. Intel had the 64 bit Itanium for servers, which were expensive, not that fast, and not backwards compatible. On the Desktop they had the Pentium 4, which was great if you needed to turn electricity into heat, but otherwise kind of pointless.

Before that there was the Athlon XP, which while not quite as fast as the fastest Intel offerings, much like today they were cheaper for the same performance.

But yeah, AMD's mobile CPUs have never been that competitive so you're making the right choice there.

8. msknight

Why spend a fortune on mining...

...when you can use browser code to get other people's machines to do it for you. And given the crackdown on crypto currencies in Russia, China and I think Australia as well... if it gets harder to trade in these currencies, then the demand for the graphics cards for mining, might well go down.

On the other hand, I might actually be able to buy myself a decent graphics card for the first time in years... without taking a second mortgage!

9. Dave K
    Thumb Up

Good news!

I'm another long-time AMD user who ended up switching to an Intel machine the last time I upgraded my PC due to AMD's poor performance at the time. Right now though, I'm awaiting delivery of my new Ryzen system which should hopefully arrive tomorrow.

Great to see AMD back and to see Intel with competition again. Long may it continue!

10. 2cent

End to an End

The thing investors don't see is that AMD, in one swoop, has created a system across the board that is more about systems then the underlying technology. As they tighten up BIOS and drivers, they are making end-to-end processing as complete and optimized as possible. A rising tide lifts all boats? More like making a new ocean.

If investors leave in their money, the shear breadth of the ecosystem could overcome any early announcements Intel might imply is "coming soon". Intel is already tripping over itself. If AMD has the cash, they will keep focus and widen the edge to chasm.

11. Hol314
    WTF?

WTF?

This kind of news reminds me that I'm eagerly waiting for my order of Tim O'Reilly's "WTF? What’s the Future and Why It’s Up to Us". In a 90 minutes podcast mostly dedicated to his latest book, he shares with Jason Calacanis his less than deliriously enthusiastic views on financial capitalism and tech giants. All of this nonsense might not last much longer…

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Underhanded tactics by competitors perchance...?

Buy massively lower value competitors stock. Then when they do well short selling the stock to devalue the company and attempt to prevent them from investing?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like