back to article Breakfast at Jeffrey's: UK CEO admits Voda 'slightly lost its mojo'

"Basically the message is Vodafone is back," says UK chief executive Nick Jeffrey, a message he's so eager to convey at a breakfast briefing hosted by the company that it almost sounds as if the lady doth protest too much. Jeffrey was made CEO last September amid the company's customer billing fiasco, caused by an IT cock-up …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I just left them

No signal where I work or at home (same for all networks), so I've been using WiFi Calling. Happy to use this, but with Vodafone:

1) You have to be on a select business plan;

2) They do not support SMS;

3) You get no notification of voice messages.

I also run in Flight Mode most of the time to stop the battery running down quickly, which means I sometimes only find about about voice messages when I go in to town and remember to turn off flight mode.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I just left them

And I just took the last household set formally with Vodafone on to a SIM only deal with iD Mobile. Signal was okay before but better with iD, but the real key was that the renewal deal from Voda was shockingly poor value, either for a new contract, or for SIM only. When I spoke to them to get a PAC code, the retentions team did a heroic attempt to retain and even cross sell, but even their best "under the counter" deal was way off the value of the iD SIM only offer (and their cross-sell offer was home broadband, but likewise was nowhere near the value that I'd wrung out of Virginmedia the week before).

When I read Colao's remark that there is potential in the UK to improve margins in relation to data, I could only conclude that, like a politician, he's lost all touch with the real world, and really thinks that his company can charge even more for the same old thing. Talkmobile (Voda's captive MVNO) has likewise seen a considerable worsening of their value proposition, so the two household handsets with them will be cancelled in a few months. And that will be it. Goodbye Vodafone group, three handsets contracts gone away specifically because you offer poor value, your retention deals stink. And it doesn't help that web site is overly complicated and crap (and has been for years).

2. Gordon 10

Dear Vodafone WTF

£9 a month just for streaming? Three do 30Gb per month total data for £25 sim free. How many mobile networks are reliable for more than 30Gb a month??

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: Dear Vodafone WTF

£9 a month just for streaming?

Sounds like they're copying T-Mobile USA's deal which is "unlimited" streaming for many services but at lower resolution. Video eats bandwidth with an hour at 1080p being needing around 4.5 MB/s* for streaming versus < 1 MB/s 480k, ie. you can serve more people on the same cell. For a lot of people streaming video is what mostly what they want an internet connection for.

* These are very much beer mat calculations which I'm happy to have corrected.

2. handleoclast

Re: Dear Vodafone WTF

@Gordon 10

You pay £25/month for 30G SIM on Three?

I got mine for £15/month. And, after the first three months they gave me the next three months free. I think you got a bum deal there, or you mis-typed.

Mind you, my contract was for a year and there's not long left. And it was a special offer. I'll have to find out what they propose to charge me next.

3. G R Goslin

Service? What service

When I had an account with Vodafone, I learnt to my cost, that there were "some fairly well-understood customer service issues and so on.", but that those were only understood by the customers. As far as Voda was concerned it was "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.". I'm now with Three, and couldn't be happier.

4. Commswonk

On The Other Hand...

Not surprisingly, he's fairly critical of the incumbent, saying there must be something "structurally wrong" with the way the UK market operates for there to be such little fibre-to-the-premise penetration, around just 2 per cent.

It is arguable that this demonstrates that "the market" is working perfectly well. If it can be shown that demand from end users for FTTP is not all that great (when compared to those satisfied with ADSL / VDSL) then why would anyone (BT in this case) risk splurging capital to flood - wire the UK with fibre when there is no certainty - or more likely serious doubt - that the return on that investment would be sufficient?

Perhaps he (and others) are expecting BT to take on all the risk while permitting ISPs/ MNOs to use little bits of the fibre network as and when required, doubtless at a discounted price because "wholesale".

Disclaimer: I am not a BT shareholder; nor did I ever work for BT.

Downvotes expected...

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: On The Other Hand...

I'd agree inasmuch as FTTP is not a particularly appealing investment for providers. This is why in many countries the "state" tends to do this and charge for it. But this in itself would be a good argument for splitting OpenReach off from BT completely.

You can still use the market to get some idea of where demand is strongest to prioritise roll out and best working with councils to synchronise with any other maintenance or utility work to minimise disruption, maximise road service repairs. Well, one can dream…

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: On The Other Hand...

The problem with the state acting in the UK is that it destroys Virgin. A state owned player has access to finance with zero risk and very low interest rates. If the state get to play, you only get one team on the field.

The UK's broadband is very impressive in some ways - particularly affordability and availability. If a fibre only approach had been pursued we'd have much higher average speeds - but - far fewer people would be able to have it and far fewer people would be able to afford it. Those underlying economics remain true regardless of who has their name over the door.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Are El Reg journos really this naive?

a message he's so eager to convey at a breakfast briefing hosted by the company that it almost sounds as if the lady doth protest too much.

Any Exec will have been rehearsed from here 'til Doomsday by their PR people on the briefing points to plug away at ad nauseam before being interviewed by a journalist. Surely someone from El Reg understands this?

6. Thunder pants

Worst. company. Ever

Over billed me each month and 2 years on and didn't bother refunding all my money... I'll never Join them again

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Worst. company. Ever

Vodafone are not be trusted neither are O2 (3) imho... I got hit by this... What it actually meant was that Vodafone would take money out of balance at random times, just not enough to get noticed. But over time of course it adds up:

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2017/1003/909486-vodafone-has-to-pay-2-5m-to-customers-over-breach/

What's interesting is Vodafone shit-canned direct email support, so now you have to use an outsourced Chat service to try and get compensation. But they tell you they can't help and send you back to the website to log a formal complaint with a request for a call back, which isn't helpful if you're away on business a lot or travelling. End result? Was told to go back to the outsourced Chat service where after logging a formal complaint with the Regulator and quoting the case number, magically a refund was possible. How long did that all take? Days! Fuckers!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Vodafone can't be trusted...

I got hit by the white-collar crime below... Vodafone would take money out of my balance at random times, just not enough to get instantly noticed:

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2017/1003/909486-vodafone-has-to-pay-2-5m-to-customers-over-breach/

Vodafone canned direct email support, so you must use outsourced Chat to get compensation. But they tell you they can't help, and send you back to the website to log a formal complaint for a call back, not helpful if you're away on business a lot or traveling etc. Regulator was disinterested also!

End result? Was told to go back to the outsourced Chat service where after logging a formal complaint with the Regulator and quoting the case number, they could magically manage a refund. So it was possible after all. How long did that all take? Days! Summing up in one word: Fuckers!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like