back to article RM Asus miniBook Plus netbook

Oxfordshire-based RM has formed alliances with makers of Small, Cheap Computers to rebrand sub-notebooks for schools. Its latest is the RM Asus miniBook Plus, its moniker for the Eee PC 904HD. When it comes to IT products, schools look for a range of features, including portability and affordability. Little wonder then that RM …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Another fundamental mistake

Wrong OS. Again.

2. Marvin the Martian
    Stop

Rebadging: why?

Dear Mr. ElReg,

could you please write an in-depth article once, how rebadging adds value? I don't understand the issue. You buy a lot of EEE's or similar, slap on other labels --- so you have to sell it higher: where's the point for me as a buyer? I don't get this whole industry.

3. Anonymous John
    Unhappy

A four page review,

and no picture of the beach totty?

4. Ishkandar
    Unhappy

Oh Yeah ??

"Schools have been waiting for a highly portable, highly affordable Windows computer that offers good performance and a nice level of functionality."

So have the yobs who want to half-inch them !! Just what they need to feed their drug habits !!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

@ George

Too right, why go for the profitable mass market, when you can cater for the niche market.....

6. Adam
    Stop

RM dont like Linux

RM wont allow linux, it wont work with their CC3 (or what ever its called now) network management product based on .net

Windows all the way with RM.

7. Sim
    Go

Horses for courses

After 2 weeks of using Linux I put an nlited copy of windows XP on my 901.I t runs very well. Maybe I will put Linux on an SD card one day but I just wanted to use my 901 not learn a whole new way of doing things - I do not have the spare time at present.

8. Gerry
    Gates Horns

Depressing

It's depressing just thinking about Windoze fouling another good machine. I wonder how much less the package would cost with Linux installed?

Psst! Arfhur, is it really you writing for El Reg?

9. Rob Beard
    Linux

Re: Another fundamental mistake

Hey, it's RM, I wouldn't expect anything less! :-)

Well now Sirius are official suppliers to schools maybe we'll see some of these running Linux (from Asus rather than RM) in schools.

Rob

10. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Re: AC - Another fundamental mistake

What is it with the Linux trolls? When will people realise that Linux is not the be all and end all? It's not the perfect operating system for every situation. A lot of schools and corporations are locked into Windows either by the software that they use or over controlling execs, leaving the IT dept with little choice in the matter.

El Reg even made that point pretty clearly in the article.

I agree that Linux should be an option, but if it's not, just get over it.

Sheesh.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Wrong Assumption - As usual.

ITYWF it comes in a variety of flavours from RM.

http://www.rm.com/secondary/products/product.asp?cref=PD1030046

12. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

RM involved - double the price!

so, slap an RM badge on it and you can double the price.

why do schools need laptops? surely a huge clunker of an full-size tower would be better, then you could put a few housebricks into the case to stop the chavs knicking them!

13. W

The reason that schools want Windows machines

...has been made abundantly clear. Button it, penguinistas.

In any case, even if the Linux options do run very marginally better (no better on battery life though) the time saved is negated by the time spent fannying around trying to get stuff to work. Assuming that there even is a way.

It might not be the optimum hardware for the job, and call me crazy if you like, but personally ("because I can") I'd be wanting to run AutoCAD 2000 (& Paint.NET & other progs like Inkscape, OpenOffice, Sketchup, Blender, Apache2Triad, &c) on one of these fellas.

No problem at all on XP - I'd be up and running in no time.

Bang on all you like about how Linux has alternatives, but there are some glaring holes that even Wine or "the forums" can't sort out.

The so-called "Windows Tax" for having XP on these SCCs runs at around £20. To me, that's a fair price. And the best value for money (for me) is represented by running FOSS (+ a few select others) on XP.

Remember that if your prefered Linux configuration is not available then you can buy the Windows machine, decline to accept MS's T's&C's, install Linux, and claim the cost of the MS licence back. But "You might need to do some searching around in the forums on how to do that." - as Lintards are so fond of saying. :-)

Anyways, back to school use: why do they even need "small laptops"? What's wrong with marginally less portable, but cheaper, "standard laptops"? Surely the scrimping on weight can't be that important in the classroom. And a "proper" sized laptop is more condusive to getting work done. Or if, for whatever reason, a 9" screened machine is so important - what's wrong with the cheaper Aspire One (cheap because of a poor battery that need not be an issue within the school environment)? Or an equivalently priced Advent 4211 which has the bonus of a 10" screen in a 10" case rather than this awkward Eee freaky hybrid.

If this absolutely is the machine of choice, why not buy direct from Asus? Are the schools' collective hands forced to spend taxpayer's dosh with the seemingly uncompetetively priced RM for some particular reason?

This whole RM thing seems like a racket from where I'm standing. Or am I missing something?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like