back to article Google stock in weird, spurious plunge to $200 mark

For traders still reeling from Monday's massacre on Wall Street, it must have looked like manna from heaven: shares of Google for as low as $200. Alas, it turned out to be a cruel mirage after Nasdaq OMX, which operates the Nasdaq Stock Market, canceled a block of transactions in late trading and reset the closing price to $ …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Gordon Fecyk
    Joke

It's Osama Bin Virus attacking the stock market! I swear it is!!!!!!11oneone

It took Bin Laden seven years, but he finally got his suicide cyber bombers to attack the stock market and mess with Google and with Rohm & Haas.

I hope they enjoy their seventy-two cyber-virgins in cyber-valhalla or whatever.

OK seriously, nice to see human errors from another exchange in play on this one. Who needs Osama Bin Virus when we have real people?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

sounds awfully high :)

They are normally about 70 bucks, with a market cap of about 13.5 billion.

So that was a quick way to raise about 19,000 billion or 19 trillion.

That would clear the US national debt twice over and still have change for a couple of hot fudge sundaes and a banana split :)

3. Francis Vaughan

Maybe...

Alternatively, in an unheard of moment of sanity, the market started to approximate Google's true worth. But someone got to it before the price actually got there.

4. John Bayly

@Gordon Fecyk

I think it was Fred MacAulay on Mock the Week (a UK current affairs comedy programme on BBC for those outside the UK) who said:

Al-Qaeda must be kicking themselves, they've spent years blowing themselves up tring to bring about the fall of Western Capitalism and it turns out all they had to do was take out a few mortgages.

(I also heard it on Clive Anderson's Chat Room).

Hopefully they heard that comment as it might stop our idiotic politicians going on about saving us from the Evil Ones(TM).

5. Nick L

Pleasing symmetry

Last month: Airline share prices whacked by "erroneous" items, thanks to an automated system run by Google.

This month: Google share prices whacked by "erroneous" items, thanks to an automated system run by the stock exchange.

Next month: RoTM makes share prices irrelevant ?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

naked shorting and hacks ?

So which aspects of these markets can't be hacked for profit in the current situation where taxpayers are being taken for $700,000,000,000 dollars in the US and banks can devour other banks with full impunity from the monopolies and mergers commission in the UK ?

This topic is closed for new posts.