back to article Review pins blame for Medicare ID breach on you. All of you

The Australian government's review of an incident that saw health care customer numbers offered for sale on a Tor “darknet” site has recommended retaining the numbers as acceptable proof of identity. Australian adults are all issued a "Medicare card" entitling them to government-funded healthcare. The cards bear the unique …

1. Peter Prof Fox

I'm a bloke -- deal with me

A man (me) walks into a bank.

"I'd like to open an account."

"Are you a real person or a fraud?"

"I'm breathing [FX HUH] and look humanoid so get on with it."

"But we need proof."

"Proof of what? I'm alive?"

"It's too complex for you to understand."

"Or you're making it too complicated. I deposit my gold and you give me a receipt. Job done. All I want to do is make a deposit."

"Have you got a health number?"

"Perhaps I should check the DNA of you and all the other so called 'staff' in this bank."

2. MrDamage Silver badge

"Australia Card" by default

The govt demanded it, and now they're seeking to blame the tax payer for their incompetence.

3. PaulVD
    Big Brother

Simple, except for a slight legacy issue

Withdraw all existing numbers, and issue everyone with a 256-bit code, unstructured except for a check digit or two. Record the new numbers as a QR code on a plastic id card, so that they can be read by standard handheld scanners.

Make it a criminal offence for anyone (including the Government) to store these numbers. Instead, require the number read to be salted with the organisation's name and then stored as a SHA-512 hash value only. The hashed value works just as well as the raw number as a key in the database records for the organisation.

Then (1) the numbers can be used freely within one organisation but records cannot be linked from one organisation to another; the authorities cannot correlate your tax records with your health data using this code. (2) Stolen hashes are of no value to anyone. (3) If a dump of stolen hashes comes to light, it is possible to identify with certainty the organisation whose security was at fault. (4) Banks or other organisations can use the identifier if they like, but cannot link data acquired from elsewhere to expand their knowledge about you.

From a consumer protection point of view, what's not to like? There is, of course, the slight problem that legacy databases will have to be restructured to use a different key. Also, it shifts power away from bureaucrats and corporations to consumers. Oh, that's a fatal disadvantage; it will never fly.

4. GrumpyKiwi
    FAIL

Thanks Australia

For yet again providing us with an example of what not to do.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like