back to article Brit intel fingers Iran for brute-force attacks on UK.gov email accounts

Iran has been blamed for the brute-force attack on UK Parliament earlier this year. An unpublished assessment by British intelligence obtained by The Times fingers Iran for the high-profile hack. The revelation comes as the US president has refused to continue signing off the 2015 Iran nuclear deal, to which the UK is a party …

1. wolfetone Silver badge

"The revelation comes as the US president has refused to continue signing off the 2015 Iran nuclear deal, to which the UK is a party."

Well slap my bottom and call me Daisy. Isn't that convenient?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Hello Daisy, bend over for a slap.

A kind reminder, the bend-over posture is the standard one to be assumed every time your overseas overlord is interested in your services.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

A kind reminder, the bend-over posture is the standard one to be assumed every time your overseas overlord is interested in your services.

You are Harvey Wankstein, and I claim my five pounds.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It had to be Iran, North Korea, Russia, China or Islamic State. They're the bad guys m'kay.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Well, there are only so many countries you can accuse.

And it's not going to be the Saudis is it? Not this side of 2050 at least.

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

It's eastasia - we have always been at war with eastaisa

3. Mark 85

Well slap my bottom and call me Daisy. Isn't that convenient?

Indeed, Daisy. Lately there's just been too much "convenience" in world politics.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I will, as long as you don't tell peach, Luigi asked if he could come as well.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

I wonder how many of the MPs who voted for the various iterations of the Investigative Powers Acts and/or support the Home Secs' demands for backdoored encryption make any association between this attack and the privacy issues affected by their policies.

1. Mark 85

Haven't you heard... they (and the US politicos) seem to think that encryption is secure and will remain that way after they get their backdoors. I'm almost positive that equipment used by the various Parliament/Congresses, etc. and most government agencies will be exempt from this.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Well if we have the backdoor key then the nasty foreigners obviously don't have it and so we are safe.

3. JaitcH
    Meh

They were only hacked because the systems admins . . .

were incompetent at their job.

The same with the US military, they are never to blame when the Russians, Chinese, Norks or the 400 pound kid sitting in his East Cheam bedsit. They never admit it was a weakness on their part.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Yawn

They were ready to hit us with nuclear emails in 45 minutes!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

For those living abroad, The Times newspaper is the traditional conduit used by the secret services to release iffy information while avoiding any hint of impartial analysis.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I just remembered the weapons of mass destruction in Iraq issue, or am I just an old tetric?

7. Roj Blake Silver badge

Sauce for the Goose...

In fairness to Iran, what they've (allegedly) done isn't as bad as using malware to disrupt another country's nuclear infrastructure.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

8. junebee
    Mushroom

and so begins the anti iran propaganda!

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
  9. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Unhappy

The scary bit

Not the claim, but that 90% of the population will believe it.

P.S. I made up that 90% figure.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like