back to article BlackBerry's new Motion will move you neither to tears of joy nor sadness

BlackBerry's new "Motion" handset is a solid Android with some nice touches that, if it lives up to its battery life promises, will be a solid contender for mid-to-premium handset buyers. The Register got its claws on the phone today at GITEX, the Dubai tech expo where the phone was revealed yesterday. There's nothing …

1. Kevin Johnston

USP

Have to agree about the lack of USP since the (albeit brief) review to suggest the author struggled to find enough to write an article. I have made use of BB devices for quite some time as I struggle with a virtual keyboard on phones and I currently have a KeyONE which has a physical keyboard.

This may be a niche but it is one which BB/RIM have good background in filling so why fight the full glass slab battle with umpty seven other companies?

1. AMBxx Silver badge

Re: USP

Yep, my wife is a dedicated blackberry user. Nothing to do with OS or being some sort for fan-girl. It's the only phone that still comes with a keyboard. Currently using a Priv and hasn't commented on the change from BB 10 to Android.

Where's the Blackberry user icon?

1. seven of five

Oh, I´ve got one these wifes as well.

SHE "I need a new phone"

me: "ok"

SHE "with keyboard"

me "oh"

At least the descision was easy to make - 300 or 600Eur, and you´ve got the choice of black.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Maybe the Gemini PDA will add a third choice.

1. drand
            Meh

The Gemini people are at GITEX too.

Does El Reg have any updates for us after your fondle of the prototypes a month ago? That would be more exciting than a new BB that no-one will buy, no matter how decent it is.

1. DJO Silver badge

The Gemini people are at GITEX too.

They just published this video

It looks like they are moving towards production but with the first production run scheduled for the 2nd or 3rd week in December I doubt if it will be in many peoples hands before Christmas.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

SHE "with keyboard"

me "divorced!"

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That's what my ex has a Blackberry for, and then a no-name Android so that she can also get access to Whatsapp.

1. seven of five

"sacrificial Android". Yes, we have one of these as well. cheap (not actually that bad) Lenovo C2 with a no frills SIM running all the untrusted stuff like whatsapp, games, fuel price monitor...

2. bazza Silver badge

At least BB, imperfect though they are, have been reasonably good at getting Android patches out to their customers. Some other manufacturers just don't seem to bother.

So far as USPs are concernced, that alone is about the only thing that would ever convince me to give Android a go.

1. AMBxx Silver badge

reasonably good at getting Android patches

Hmmm - just announced that nothing before the KeyOne is getting Nougat. Patches on my Priv end next year.

Just hoping MS finally get their act together, but their fabled 'Surface Phone' is starting to look like something that should grace Kick Starter.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: reasonably good at getting Android patches

"Just hoping MS finally get their act together".

They did, they left the building:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/10/09/microsoft_windows10_undead/

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Neffos is owned by networking concern TP-Link, which told The Register it's working to integrate its handsets with its Wi-Fi routers to ensure data flows very swiftly between the two"

That little bit gives me great cause for concern, expect unauthorised telemetry and gaping security holes.

Edit:

However it does come with a compass, so if they can put one in a $100 phone why can't you Motorola put one in a more expensive phone ?

1. tony72

Never mind the security aspects, but if it involves anything outside of standard protocols, consider me fundamentally unimpressed. Faster wi-fi ... as long as you use our routers, our phones, our tablets, etc? **** right off. I'm sick of manufacturers trying to hook people into their little "ecosystems", with features that only work as long as you buy all their kit. My money goes to manufacturers whose gear works best with everybody's kit, and who put there efforts into ecosystem-agnostic improvements, thank you very much.

1. Bronek Kozicki

Faster wi-fi ... as long as you use our routers, our phones, our tablets, etc?

I suspect not, more likely they will share their implementation of 802.11ac firmware with whatever they have in their access points already. Which is standard conforming and works well with all types of devices, nothing proprietary here. However good (or bad) implementation can greatly impact actual achievable throughput and latency, simply because these two are tied to timing, which itself is tied to performance of the code itself (i.e. the standard is quite forgiving because it has to, but the implementation can aim for the best performance)

FWIW I do have some networking kit from TP-Link (e.g. CAP1750 access point, some managed switches, wifi controller etc) and it is good piece of kit - or excellent if you look at the (very small) price tag. They do not spend money on fancy features or loud marketing, and sometimes the hardware may be less robust (looking at old "nano" powerline adapters ...), but it is refreshing compared to Netgear, D-Link, Linksys etc. usual suspects.

1. Anonymous Coward Silver badge

I have been suitably impressed with TP-Link networking kit. And their warranty service is better than many of the big players!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

why can't you Motorola put one in a more expensive phone ?

Because Lenovo don't want to undermine the more expensive Moto X and Z offerings. It's just the same as car makers option availability - everything is crafted to give a reason to go to the next package up, that way you make the most money.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the EU Moto G's do have a magnetometer chip built in, but disabled at the firmware or driver level.

3. gurugeorge

It's faster to type on a virtual keyboard. Does anyone still use BBM Lol? I just searched for bbm and apparently it means something else on spankwire/xvideos etc

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's faster to type on a virtual keyboard. Does anyone still use BBM Lol? I just searched for bbm and apparently it means something else on spankwire/xvideos etc.

Assuming this post wasn't a joke....Horses for courses but I find it significantly faster to type on my Blackberry Bold 9700 than any virtual keyboard on any other phone I've got. Yes I and others I know still use BBM partly because it gives a date and time when the message was read. To the best of my knowledge from using Whatsapp it doesn't do that and it's a very handy feature.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It's swings and roundabouts TBH.

I did a head to head with a BB loving friend a couple of years ago. Google's swipe keyboard vs his pointy digits on his BB with its little keyboard.

Result, dead-heat.

We couldn't swap phones to test the results for people using an unfamiliar device however, as my big fingers are completely incompatible with the BB.

He's also spent the last couple of years buying (and then returning) every modern BB offering in a desperate hope it would have a hub that integrates everything he wants, and has all the shortcuts his life depends on. I'm still using the same Nexus 6...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Still using BBM - on iOS presently. It works a whole lot more reliably than the mess that Skype has become. Voice / video calls work very well indeed.

I have finally got the parents off Skype, at last.

4. Andy The Hat Silver badge

Battery life a concern?

"Although with USB batteries now cheap and chargers omnipresent in vehicles, extra-long battery life seems better suited to the absent-minded than practitioners of any particular vocation"

Perhaps I'm unusual but I hate dragging leads/chargers around just to charge a phone. I want the phone to be live all of the time, so I can plug it in when I notice it's getting low rather than having to plug it in because it'll die on me in the next ten minutes ...battery life should be a boon not a pain.

Oh for an iPhone that didn't need hard-wiring to something for at least a week ... after all, it is supposed to be a *mobile* device.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Battery life a concern?

My £150 5.5 inch screen Xiaomi has a battery that lasts about a week (admittedly very light use). Now, how much did your iPhone cost?

1. LeoP

Must be the same hardware as my "Ulefone Power".

And it's actually perfectly usable as a smartphone - for work, not for benchmarks.

2. Andy The Hat Silver badge

£150? Pah, rich git! iPhone 5C second hand two years ago for £50 ... frightful thing.

5. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Barf!

Trying to bodge the remnants of BBRY intellectual property onto Android is never a goer.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: Barf!

Doesn't work too well with Microsoft either.

2. bazza Silver badge

Re: Barf!

BlackBerry's Hub is excellent, by far the best messaging client out there. If it's a bodge, it's only because Android is too lame to allow Hub to be integrated into the UI as deeply as it was on BB10 (where it is truly excellent).

6. tiggity Silver badge

Dubai

Don't touch anyone's hip while at the Expo.

At least now its a man dubiously imprisoned instead of women getting jailed for "illicit sex" after reporting being (sometimes gang) raped then maybe the news will finally sink in that Dubai should not be supported by anyone in the West - if tech expos are held there, boycott them.

Its a vile mysoginist place, and as the recent tourist bloke facing jail for brushing someones hip story shows, although women get it far, far worse, any Westerner can fall afoul of their not fit for purpose legal system.

One of (unfortunately quite a few) countries on my boycott for ethical reasons list.

1. JLV

Re: Dubai

not the only issue w Dubai. they have solid form at exploiting their migrant workers from 3rd world countries. of course, migrants often are contentious and/or vulnerable even in the West, but Dubai goes way beyond low level mistreatment.

probably not quite Saudi level abuse, but then this is a place trying to convince us they're not Saudi Arabia.

best of luck to the gentleman in question getting out of that s***hole.

7. ukgnome

It looks just like a nasty Sony Xperia

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It looks just like a nasty Sony Xperia

Well, there's not much to choose between any modern smartphone, is there? A thinnish rectangular shape, some sort of bezel, and the nearest to visual variety is maybe a curve to the edges of the screen, or how much of the screen fills the front panel.

8. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge

"standard Android experience"

Knocking Samsung into a bloated, cocked hat.

9. BinkyTheMagicPaperclip Silver badge

Nice battery life, waterproof would be appreciated

I'm not sure BBM is really a huge differentiator, I love my Priv for the keyboard, speedy patching, and the e-mail client, but haven't even signed up for a BBM account - no-one I know has one!

The Priv is a lovely phone, but the lack of a removable battery and of root still rankles, but at the time it was the only keyboard phone. If they insist, like everyone else, in not having a removable battery why don't they make it waterproof?

I'd still rather have an easily swappable battery though, and no, chargers are not the same.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ummm, how much will this BB cost?

Looks ok to replace my Windows 10 mobile phone or Windows Phone 7, 8, 8.1, 8.2 or Mobile First thing or whatever the hell I have that Microsoft has abandoned lately.

Sorry, beer and nostalgia

11. arqgon

Big battery, waterproof, secure,

This is a malicious review, In many aspects outperform the expensive i8, and has many specs that equal top notch phones. Some points to bring up: 401 ppi, on a 5.5, 32 GB expandable , 4 GB RAM, water proof and one of the biggest battery Non-removable Li-Ion 4000 mAh.

1. 10,000 Angry Vegans

Re: Big battery, waterproof, secure,

This is the ideal device for ex BlackBerry users with an iPhone looking to jump ship to a broadly similar UX i.e. vanilla with no toppings, but in a fashion-free shell that you won't need to buy a case for or mind dropping into the side pocket of your rucksack. Have iPhone 6S Plus presently but can pretty much guarantee the Motion will be next.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon