back to article CBS's Showtime caught mining crypto-coins in viewers' web browsers

The websites of US telly giant CBS's Showtime contained JavaScript that secretly commandeered viewers' web browsers over the weekend to mine cryptocurrency. The flagship Showtime.com and its instant-access ShowtimeAnytime.com sibling silently pulled in code that caused browsers to blow spare processor time calculating new …

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

BOFH?

Some BOFH after a little on the side maybe?

1. Marco Fontani

Re: BOFH?

If I were to wager a guess, I'd say a marketing plod with the ability to push JS changes (via analytics, tag manager, you-name-it) to production without proper review.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Block them!

Block the bastards!

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Yet another reason to avoid sites that don't work when Javascript is blocked.

1. Lost In Clouds of Data
      Unhappy

JavaScript?

Which, in this day and age, seems like nearly every single one of them...

2. Zippy's Sausage Factory

That's why I clung to NCSA Mosaic as long as I could. And I browsed with JavaScript switched off pretty much until a couple of years ago.

Even though I use jQuery at work all the time, I still think it's lousy design if the site doesn't work without it.

3. streaky

Yet another reason to avoid sites that don't work when Javascript is blocked.

If I was a site owner who was using this tech (I actually feel like I was partly responsible for it due to very early experiments with it a bunch of years ago mining bitcoins years before the current incarnations) - it doesn't seem like it would matter if a percentage of your visitors disable js to stop it working. The aim of the game is going to be the percentage of visitors that don't prevent it running doing some work in a small transaction to cover your costs and in return not get obtrusive ads. In the end I considered it ethically sketchy to just throw it at users but it's a choice - publishers could offer people the option to live in an ad-free environment or not have to pay cash to get through a paywall and it could work for everybody. Could.

1. Suricou Raven

Or, more cynically, they could serve up both the miner and the ads.

4. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Coat

Whoever gave them the idea?

"Reg now behind invisible HTML5 Bitcoin paywall"

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/04/01/invisible_bitcoin_paywall/

1. Nick Kew
      Thumb Up

Re: Whoever gave them the idea?

Damn you for getting in first with that reference (have an upvote)!

I was going to ask if they were licensing the Reg code.

2. veti Silver badge

Re: Whoever gave them the idea?

Thank you, I knew I'd seen this story somewhere before.

Alas that you didn't really patent it...

5. Fatman
    FAIL

JS and Ad blockers

And the clueless wonder why I am so paranoid about blocking ads and limiting javascript.

Fucking numpties!

6. td97402

Yes, CBS Would Do This

I don’t know why the author thinks that CBS itself wouldn’t be likely to pull this kind of shenanigans. CBSI, a.k.a. CBS Interactive, a subsidiary of CBS, runs a little website called download.com. You remember download.com. They’re the people who would wrap 13 or so pieces of adware, junkware, spyware, etc. around shareware downloads that would then pollute the computers of clueless users.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Don't worry, download.com still does. And it is still in business.

Thank God for NoScript.

1. cybersaur
        Pint

god didn't write NoScript

Thank Giorgio Maone for NoScript.

2. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

I don't see how NoScript (which I use) can help with downloaded shareware that has been polluted with Trojan junk?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sprung

Sprung real bad!

8. Potemkine! Silver badge

"We take the security of our browser agent extremely seriously"

ROTFL! I love this running joke.

+1 for Mr Monett - NoScript rulz! ^^

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Coin Hive's pitch is

"this script could allowed publishers to pull annoying ads from their website – which is something that could become more important as browsers increasingly block ads."

utter bollocks, read:

this script could allowed publishers to retain ads AND make them extra, mined cash

btw, is there a firefox extension to block mining yet? ;)

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Coin Hive's pitch is

I thought this would be caught by bog-standard XSS defences.

2. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Re: Coin Hive's pitch is

Noscript.

10. Andy 97
    Joke

<Scooby Doo villan voice>

"And I would have gotten away with it too.. if if wasn't for you meddling kids!"

1. eldakka
      Coat

"And I would have gotten away with it too.. if if wasn't for you meddling kidsscript-kiddies!"

11. Hyram

"So someone left mining code in our website, but there's no clue as to the culprit."

"Looks that way."

"I guess we're going to have to (•_•) (-•_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■) dig for clues."

12. TrumpSlurp the Troll
    Paris Hilton

An option for SETI@home?

Just remembered donating spare CPU cycles back in the day.

Which makes me wonder if there is any mileage in running a miner on behalf of a charity using spare CPU cycles, or if it would be more cost efficient (due to the cost of the electricity) to just donate direct

1. Zippy's Sausage Factory

Re: An option for SETI@home?

That's a damn fine idea if ever I heard one. Have an upvote.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I pay almost $0.17/kWh for electricity. I set up a box with a GTX 1070 and 1060 and successfully mined about $2.50 worth of Zcash with $5.00 worth of electricity. It was an interesting experiment, I wanted to see firsthand...

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

I mined about 0.1 bitcoin a couple of years ago, as an experiment, when it's value was about £200 a coin. I stopped running the hardware when the pool payouts dropped to less than one in 3 months due to the increased network hash rate. The cost of the hardware and electricity (IIRC, about £200 for the USB miners and a RaspPi) are now just about paid for if Bitcoin's value stays above £3k or so.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Were you comparing the cost of electricity of the computer on vs off, or "on with mining" vs "on but dle (not mining)"?

Because I have some PCs that are on anyway and might as well be mining.

ps SETI@Home still exists, along with many other projects on the BOINC platform you can donate your CPU/GPU time to many good causes, and some silly ones too.

1. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

You do know that a hard working CPU uses a lot more energy than an idling one, right?

3. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

It's a "super good idea" to create money (which usually is a cheap piece of paper or metal, if it even exists physically at all), by using precious energy. Especially with global warming happening. Not.

13. hellwig

Xfinity might be doing this too

So I usually play Netflix or something in the background while I game (Farming Simulator 17, hit me up Merkel).

When I decided to watch something on my computer off my DVR, the performance was heavily impacted. Not sure why Netflix can stream HD content to my PC and run fine but Xfinity cant stream HD content in the same house and I run into framerate issues. But now I wonder if I wasn't mining crypto-currency for some disgruntled IT folks the whole time.

14. chivo243 Silver badge

my 0.0002 bitcoins

Inside job. Somewhere along the line, someone with approved access dropped this little nugget.

15. Restricted Access

Life continues to imitate art

The IRL Youtube streamer Ice Poseidon recently got a lot of flak from his viewers when a developer for one of Ice's apps/projects did a similar thing. Ice claims it was the dev going rogue but some still believe Ice wanted it to squeeze out a few extra dimes from the viewers, others think it was done for the "content" i.e. a bit of drama to spice up the stream.

16. euterpe

Curious on how much this slows down your Computer?

You can test it out here:

WhatIsMyHashRate.com

You may or may not see any performance degradation depending on your CPU.

17. fidodogbreath

Nice try, though

Coin Hive's pitch is that this script could allowed publishers to pull annoying ads from their website – which is something that could become more important as browsers increasingly block ads.

That's not much of a pitch, since any ad blocker can also filter scripts. There's already at least one filter list for crypto mining.

18. Andy 97

Get ready for more of this kind of thing, legitimately.

As soon as publishers estimate the real cost of ad-blocking technology, they'll need to recover the cash from somewhere.

19. Mauriceje

The site http://www.elephonestore.com does this to, Elephone is an phone brand and my cpu gets 100% when javascript enabled

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon