back to article 'Alternative network provider' CityFibre boosts sales 36%

UK broadband pusher CityFibre has posted a sales increase of 36 per cent for its half-year results, but has also reported delays to a number of its public sector contracts. Sales rose to £9m for the six months to June 2017, while gross profit increased to £7.9m from £5.7m. It connected another 745 customer premises to its …

1. Phil Endecott

> It connected another 745 customer premises to its fibre metro area

> network (MAN), with an additional £11m of initial contract value.

Does that mean each customer is paying an average of £15,000 per (something), or is there some other meaning?

1. Aladdin Sane

Pretty much as you've said. They're building infrastructure so their customers aren't necessarily retail customers, more likely other ISPs or businesses.

2. rh587

Does that mean each customer is paying an average of £15,000 per (something), or is there some other meaning?

That's the meaning, but consider that they're not hooking up people's houses (they have residential FTTH on their website but I don't think it's a focus area).

If you think of "customer premises" in terms of "University Halls of Residence" or "Office Block with 35 tenants", the figure looks more sensible (I don't know if they specifically do halls of residence or sub-contracting for the likes of JANET, but it's that sort of scale of business/customer - not running fibre up to people's front doors).

1. Aitor 1

Residential FTTH

Yes they do have.. including my street (god knows why...) yet they wont sell. And the nice (but incompetent) SGN ppl have ben digging where the fibre is.. I guess there is not much fibre left.. anyway they did not rent it.. I just dont understand their plan.

2. Phil Endecott

> If you think of "customer premises" in terms of "University Halls

> of Residence" or "Office Block with 35 tenants",

The connections near me are more like "office with 6 people" or "small primary school" or "hooiday inn express". I guess they're at the bottom end, but there must be some very large customers to make the average that high.

1. Ralph Online

According to their website: "CityFibre’s networks address 28,000 public sites, 7,800 mobile masts, 280,000 businesses and 4 million homes."

And I'd guess that the takeup from those 4 million homes is maybe 20-25% ?

2. Andy Tunnah

Gutted

I seen "It connected another 745 customer premises to its fibre metro area network (MAN)" and thought the MAN was short for Manchester. Got all excited.

I'm..not a smart person :/

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

the reseller ISPs are useless and the only competitive pricing is on the cityfibre GPON product - which is far less than ideal and doesn't seem to offer a subsequent migration path.

4. EnviableOne

they doing well

7.9million profit on 9million sales is huge

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like