back to article Oracle promises SLAs that halve Amazon's cloud costs

Oracle chair and chief technology officer has pledged to undercut Amazon Web Services pricing by 50 per cent for infrastructure-as-a-service and platform-as-a-service, in part by increasing use of automation. Big Red staged a Cloud event on Tuesday, at which Ellison said that the primary cost of running platform-as-a-service ( …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

LMAO,

Pull the other one Larry...

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"the 30 minutes a year the database won't work will be planned downtime"

So there is to be no unplanned downtime, in other words, he is promising perfection.

This is IT, we all know that there will be glitches and unplanned downtime, if only because of some fat-fingered bungling at a critical point.

But of course, he's just the marketing mouthpiece. Marketing has never been there to be realistic.

1. Lysenko

Re: "he is promising perfection."

I plan to change light bulbs (which is why I keep spares). That doesn't imply that I have the slightest idea which bulb is going to blow or when, but I do know that I can change any bulb in less than thirty minutes.

Eliminating "unplanned downtime" via semantics is easy: all you need is a contingency plan and all contingencies become "planned", by definition ;)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "the 30 minutes a year the database won't work will be planned downtime"

The problem is, idiot directors will believe and purchase this instead of asking their IT department "Is this accurate?"

1. Wade Burchette

Nor will idiot directors ask "What kind of company is Oracle?"

Remember when Oracle made their employee sign a binding arbitration clause, and then lost in their own kangaroo court, so Oracle then sues their kangaroo court to have the decision reversed. Even if Oracle gave away any of its services free for 1 year and then promised to always be cheaper than competition, I still wouldn't do business with them. There are few companies that delight in punching puppies and kicking kittens, and Oracle is one of them. There are things more important than costs.

1. Mad Mike

No, Larry is a lover of puppies and kittens. That's why he kicks people instead.

3. Sebastian Brosig

Oracle DBAs demand a high salary because of the bizarre and unusual installation and maintenance practices necessary to run their products, and they love it because it keeps them on the gravy train. In turn, they do their best to keept their employers locked into Big Red.

Seems like Larry is now biting the hand that feeds it!

1. FuzzyWuzzys

We're not all like that!

"...they love it because it keeps them on the gravy train."

Nice. I personally love being a DBA because there's never dull moment, there's always something being demanded of the system that wasn't anticipated. Sure I get paid good money but I only get paid what the market will stand. You could say the same for Javascript, it's probably got less keywords than ZX Spectrum BASIC or even bog standard C but make it "sing and dance" is still a skill that people learn how to do and the better they do it the more they should be paid. There will always be cowboys in any line of work, those who simply coast along and apply no real thought to what they do, they have no passion and they take the money and damage the reputation of others but not everyone is like that, some of us still believe passionately about IT and enjoy the daily challenge of problem solving.

Sure Oracle software CAN be complicated but it's not really any more complicated than SQL Server or MySQL. I would say, through bitter experience, that install Sharepoint and Exchange are far more hideous than anything Oracle sells, SP and EX are a minefield of patch requirements, anyone who looks after those deserves damn good pay! With Oracle tou run an install script like any other software and out of the box it works, just like any other software. Like Windows, like SQL Server, like OSX, like iOS, like MySQL...note I said works, I never said works well. At that point you pay someone who knows how to make it work properly. Every product works out of the box, very few don't these days and if you weren't that demanding about it you could just leave it as is and just use it. The issue comes when people demand a huge bang for their buck, that's when you need someone to tune it and tweak it.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Half price cloud

They'll charge 50% of AWS for Oracle cloud but you'll pay 5 times as much with all the lawyers you'll need to engage doing business with them.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oracle plus Cloud - are you fucking mental?!

Avoid at all cost.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yeah yeah, Larry, whatever

I really don't see any innovation here; managed services that don't require patching have been around on proper clouds for years.

PAYG charging with no commitment to any particular service? Yep, that's how AWS and (especially) Google Cloud work.

The only thing I see here is a tease about some new db with high availability. Okay, that's great Laz, but Google's Spanner is already here and does all that PAYG, auto-patching, zero maintenance stuff.

This is 2017, Larry. Come on.

1. voilerouge

Re: Yeah yeah, Larry, whatever

to Anomymous Coward

are you just plain stupid or are you working for AWS or The Register?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Yeah yeah, Larry, whatever

I guess I'm just plain stupid, given that neither of the others is true. Why do you ask?

7. EricM

Half the cost of AWS - easy to achieve after Oracle doublies License cost on AWS...

which, incidently, is exactly, what Oracle did in back in January by eliminating the core licensing factor (CLF) for cloud offerings. This basically doubled the license cost for every cloudy vCore.

So "half the cost of AWS" today just means "same license cost as physical hosting", obviously.

But I must agree, if Larry tells the story, it sounds better :-)

1. Bryan Hall

Re: Half the cost of AWS - easy to achieve after Oracle doublies License cost on AWS...

Exactly. I keep wondering when they are going to hit us running on Azure.

1. EricM

Re: I keep wondering when they are going to hit us running on Azure.

The CLF change from 2:1 to 1:1 also applies to Azure, also since January. I somewhat wondered why this did not get more publicity at the time.

8. Phil Bennett

...for now

One of the major worries around moving work to other people's computers is lock in - it's bloody difficult to replatform a deployed application and you need to retune everything.

You would have to be certifiably insane to tie yourself to Oracle with their reputation unless you were already so committed to their DB that leaving was unthinkable.

9. Milton

That sense of inevitability

So we all spectated for years, with a growing sense of tedious inevitability, as Marissa Mayer made one predictable screwup after another and Yahoo circled ever closer to the drain. Only the company's PR machine seemed unware, pretending blissful ignorance of what was obvious to the rest of the world.

I can't help feeling we are somewhere in that cycle with Oracle. It's struggling for relevance, hampered by the well-earned baggage of decades of arrogance, appalling sales and marketing ethics, extortionate over-pricing and the little-mentioned fact that, for most of Oracle's history after its first decade, there have always been better products at better prices.

For those who know anything of the company—and I'm guessing lots of IT decision makers view the company with no fondness whatever—the questions are "So what?", "Why on Earth would we trust you?", "We've already figured out the cloud is more expensive, less reliable and less secure than the saleslizards claimed" ...

... followed by "You missed the bus", "We're now trapped by our existing provider, whose marketurds and lawyers turned out to be way cleverer than our guys" and "Please go away and die quietly".

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: That sense of inevitability

I agree, I think we are seeing an HP/Yahoo style endgame starting for Oracle; good riddance.

I work in technical presales and almost without exception, customers ask "How can we get off Oracle", "Whats the path"... primarily due to to cost reduction but also a strong dislike of their practices; they no longer offer value. And these are major $bn corporations not single workloads. Oracle cloud is dead before it has even started, these claims Larry makes are laughable.

I think at some point, Oracle will provide badged PaaS DB services thru Azure or AWS, possibly by their own cloud with DirectConnect/ExpressRoute style connectivity. Yes I know RDS and such like does it, but I could see them providing some sort of "Oracle Managed/Supported" arrangement a bit like the Hosted VMWare arrangement on AWS. They will have to, just like VMWare did in order to cling for life.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Two fingers

Larry sticks two fingers up to Oracle admins everywhere. Thanks for your support and helping us make billions over the years, now screw you and your careers.

11. Mark Walker
    WTF?

"won't run without being satisfied it has a disaster recovery rig waiting to pick up the slack"

Um, so it's offline whenever primary _or_ backup is down?

12. This post has been deleted by its author

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

half the price of AWS

which means 2X the price of doing this in-house on your own platform.

Public cloud isn't cheaper. Never has been, never will be.

14. iOS6 user

Biggest cost is cost/h of running instances.

SLA is maybe on 3rd or 4th position.

15. FuzzyWuzzys
    Facepalm

Larry isn't stupid, this is his usual hype and BS!

Larry has a well earned reputation for spouting utter bollocks that his sales droids have to repeat and the dev techies have to deliver, it's no great surprise Larry was best mates with Steve Jobs, another seriously psychotic bullshitter.

Oracle cloud will be cheaper, hmm, sure Larry! The second you realise that guy down the road ( Azure, Goolge, CouchDB, MongoDB, Hadoop, etc ) is making more money, you'll put the prices up faster than a whippet with a bum full of dynamite. You're the same as Virgin and Sky, get through the door on a short-term, cut-price contract, and just like the classic drug-dealer once they're hooked, jack up the prices 'cos you know you're the only game in town for them.

We weren't born yesterday Larry mate!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like