back to article Chairman Zuck ends would-be president Zuck's political career

Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg's personal challenge for 2017 was “to have visited and met people in every state in the US by the end of the year.” He'd already visited 20, so the effort to tick off the other 30 means he's travelled rather a lot in 2017. That Facebook also hired former Obama campaign manager David Plouffe meant …

1. Mark 85
    Facepalm

Gads.... just what we really need... a President Zuck.

1. Primus Secundus Tertius

WTF - President Zuck?

1. handleoclast

Re: Reply Icon WTF - President Zuck?

I believe you meant WTZ.

Which, in my lexicon, is more offensive than WTF.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'Facebook's business has performed well'

....."Facebook's business has performed well".... Yeah, we know how and why:

https://www.lrb.co.uk/v39/n16/john-lanchester/you-are-the-product

....."voting control of Facebook for 20 years or more"

Zuk doesn't think FB can ever be MySpace-II... That wouldn't ever happen to him. Arrogant Fuk! So hey, why not help get him there - Try to convince others to close their Facebook accounts! Post the link above around... Who knows....

1. Tom 7

Re: 'Facebook's business has performed well'

Just make sure everyone on it uses adblock of some form. Mind you its unusable without it.

2. Fan of Mr. Obvious

Re: 'Facebook's business has performed well'

Some light reading? Overall I think the linked article has valid points. Could have really done without the political undertone - simply let the actions speak for themselves is enough.

3. Len Goddard

So goodbye to the prospect of president Zuck,

Well, thats a relief

1. mosw

Re: So goodbye to the prospect of president Zuck,

I wouldn't interpret it as "he will never run". Rather, that he is now rich enough to both maintain control of Facebook and buy the presidency.

4. J.Smith

He doesn't need to be President, if he has the president's ear, ala Obama's cosying up to tech billionaires.

1. Captain DaFt

He doesn't need to be President

Well, would you rather try to govern over three and a quarter million people with the World's press watching, waiting for you to make a gaffe, or have near absolute control over over two Beeellion 'Dumb Fucks' (as he calls his users) online activities?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What difference does that proxy statement make?

Yeah it only allows him two years, but if he was elected President he'd have to resign from any position in Facebook. Trump might have got away with skirting ethical rules since the republicans are in control and didn't want to force the issue, but I doubt either party would let him get away with keeping control of something as important to how many people get their news as Facebook. A leave of absence would not be good enough, he'd have to divest the shares either giving them to his foundation or outright selling them.

Not that I think he has a chance of hell of being elected, or that we'd want to follow up one completely inexperienced and unqualified media icon with another.

6. Tromos

Philanthropic efforts

The most philanthropic act he could engage in would be to shut down facebook.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Does it really matter which puppet is in the white house?

1. Velv
      Childcatcher

YES, it matters which Puppet is in The Whitehouse.

Because Puppets are normally silent, voiced by someone allegedly with talent.

When the Puppet can talk for itself it shoots its mouth off and gets everyone in trouble.

1. h4rm0ny

>>Because Puppets are normally silent, voiced by someone allegedly with talent. When the Puppet can talk for itself it shoots its mouth off and gets everyone in trouble.

So... basically when it's not a puppet, then?

2. The Indomitable Gall

No, when the puppet can talk for itself its nose grows when it lies.

8. h4rm0ny

This is the true consequence of electing Trump. It has shown that if Trump can be elected, anyone has a chance!

1. Redstone
      Unhappy

Hmmmm.

This is the true consequence of electing Trump. It has shown that if Trump can be elected, anyone has a chance!

No, this was the intention of the founding fathers, made very clear in the Federalist Papers.

The original idea was that average citizens would serve a term or maybe two in office before returning to their 'real' life. That would temper elected officals' enthusiam for dumb laws as they would find themselves subject to those laws soon enough. There was never supposed to be a career political class creating laws that don't affect them.

1. Primus Secundus Tertius

Re: Hmmmm.

The 1789 constitutional convention was the scene of many very experienced politicians. Sometimes I, as a Brit, suspect they gave the US a democratic constitution because they distrusted the voters less than they distrusted each other.

2. h4rm0ny
        Trollface

Re: Hmmmm.

>>"There was never supposed to be a career political class creating laws that don't affect them."

Actually, the Founding Fathers planned for this eventuality as well. It's called The Second Amendment.

2. mosw

"This is the true consequence of electing Trump. It has shown that if Trump can be elected, anyone has a chance!"

I would change that to:

This is the true consequence of electing Trump. It has shown that if Trump can be elected, any billionaire has a chance!

9. HurdImpropriety

LOL... FAKE NEWS is A-OK as long as it is about the Right.... but suddenly the Left gets hit and it's all like OUUAUOIIIAII WE NEED TO STOP FAKE NEWS...

TELL ZUCKERTURD to go back to Hawaii and try to steal some more land away from the native Hawaiin's.... !

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like