back to article Uber Cali goes ballistic, calls online ads bogus: These million-dollar banners are something quite atrocious

Uber has filed suit against one of its advertising partners, alleging it bilked the ride-sharing giant out of "tens of millions" of dollars. The suit [PDF], filed in the Northern California US District Court, claims that Fetch Media billed Uber for more than $82.5m in mobile ads that were either not run or were not properly …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Just for the headline.... ->

Another two in the pipes for screwing over Uber (assuming they did).

1. Roq D. Kasba

Agreed

Quality title

2. J. R. Hartley

It never gets old. Even after all these years.

1. Adam 52 Silver badge

"It never gets old. Even after all these years"

Maybe I'm old and miserable, but it was clever when The Sun did it, amusing the first time El Reg paid homage but after the umpteenth time now just boring.

1. Sampler

Yeah, you're right, you are old and miserable..

2. Ochib

Nah it was the Liverpool Echo first reporting a 1970s Ian Callaghan masterclass against Queens Park Rangers thus: SUPER CALLY GOES BALLISTIC, QPR ATROCIOUS

3. Someone Else Silver badge
      Pint

Amen to that. You guys are the Bomb!

1. Jonathan 27

Do people really still say that? "the bomb"?

1. Someone Else Silver badge
          Coat

Mostly North Koreans, I wot...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Need to find the delicious irony....

Unicorns spending big money on false pretences

3. kain preacher

It ain't no fun when the rabbit has the gun.

1. Anonymous Custard
      Trollface

Unless it's Bugs Bunny of course...

1. kain preacher

Then it's duck season.

4. Androgynous Cow Herd

I thought this was Uber's business plan...

"breach of contract, breach of covenant of good faith and fair dealing, breach of fiduciary duty, constructive fraud, fraud, negligent misrepresentation, professional negligence, negligence, unfair competition, unjust enrichment"

1. Someone Else Silver badge

Re: I thought this was Uber's business plan...

...and a partridge in a pear tree....

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"...and a partridge in a pear tree...."

just so long as they don't have an accident with the five gold rings while screwing everyone over. Otherwise they might need a fireman with an angle grinder.

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Yeah, but it's probably only in their business plan that they're doing it to other people.

Having it done to them is different...

It's a shame that both parties can't lose the court case really. Though I suppose lawyers often cause that situation to arise, even when one side has technically won. So we can hope.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Everyone knows...

20% of clicks are bots drumming up ad revenue for sites. 80% of clicks are people clicking by mistake.

The most that you can hope for is someone remembering your brand...

1. Lysenko

Re: Everyone knows...

This is Uber we're talking about. The best they can hope for is that someone forgets their "brand" and mistakes them for Lyft.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
        FAIL

Yes this is Uber. We won't forget their brand name. It (like RyanAir at the moment) stinks so we won't use them unless we really, really have to.

Uber is in dange of becoming a 4-letter swear word for bad practices, screwing drivers and being generally the worst company around.

Uber == [see icon]

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge
          WTF?

Uber ROT13 ... HORE ... coincidence?

2. John Crisp

Only 20% bots ? Are they on holiday ?

...people clicking to get rid of ad popups that actually trigger more ads

6. Mephistro
    Happy

This is proof that...

...the old saying "It takes one to know one" sometimes fails.

7. Adrian 4

Note to self

If you ever see Uber as a customer, run the other way.

8. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Coat

Scum got had by scum

Well sometimes the world turns in the right way after all.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The conman got con.

10. JWLong

Sounds like Equifax

" Breach of contract, breach of covenant of good faith and fair dealing, breach of fiduciary duty, constructive fraud, fraud, negligent misrepresentation, professional negligence, negligence, unfair competition, unjust enrichment."

11. The Nazz

Easy win for Uber?

Much as i dislike Uber and everything they stand for ( do they even stand for the national anthem?) they have a point.

"In the same period Fetch advised Uber on tactics to reduce ad fraud in mobile advertising".

An admission by Fetch that mobile advertising actually IS fraudulent.

Just the degree of fraud to be argued over now.

12. a_yank_lurker

Wannamker's Dictum

Someone should remind Uber of Wannamaker's Dictum: Half the money spent on advertising is wasted, you do not which half is waste.

1. J I
      FAIL

Re: Wannamker's Dictum

If you're going to quote a cliche, at least put all the words in.

Anyway, that's hopelessly out of date, now it should be "you know 99% of money spent on internet advertising is wasted, so you'd better hope the other 1% was worth it."

1. Captain DaFt

I thought the modern version was something like:

Half the money spent on advertising is wasted, the rest was spent on Yachts and nose candy.

2. a_yank_lurker

John Wannamaker was commenting on the fact all advertising wastes money no matter what you try to do. I think he would think targeting advertising was a folly. He was basically say at best advertising will inform some about your products and services and many of those will not be interested at that moment. At a given moment only a fraction of the people are actively planning to buy X from A in a given time frame. These are the people who are likely to pay attention to ad about X or A.

Using search results for targeting ads is not very effective as the context of the search is not considered and what is the planned time frame to purchase.

2. bluesshakeout

I think the dictum was: Half the money I spend in advertising is wasted - the trouble is: I don't know which half.

Which is a knottier problem. I like the Fetch claim that they "helped" get 37m apps downloaded since 2014

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: I like the Fetch claim that they "helped" get 37m apps downloaded since 2014

That's surely one of the easier things to prove? When I worked in mobile the clicks that resulted in an app download were worth hundreds of times more than the ad clicks. Metrics for that shouldn't be tricky to come by. Uber know if an app is used and they know if it was downloaded via an ad.

It's the "We put your ad on the screen 1,000,000 times" claim that's tricky to validate.

13. the Jim bloke
    Flame

If there was any such thing as a legitimate ad

Uber would not be involved. If the spam ads I see include Uber, it merely confirms the site is predatory and is trying to do me harm.

The world would be a better place if all of them succeeded in knifing each other then the survivor(s) died in a fire, and left the general populace alone.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Unhappy

Re: If there was any such thing as a legitimate ad

when you consider how intrusive the advertisers can get, you hae to wonder if there is REALLY any kind of benefit to the products being advertised...

14. Winkypop Silver badge
    Alert

I am well aware of the Uber brand and business model

That is exactly why I avoid them, adverts or not.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is great

Either the scum of Silicon Valley got scammed and hopefully the scammers have run off with the money already, or the scum of Silicon Valley is being scummy like usual making false accusations and they'll hopefully get their just desserts in the end.

16. Gotno iShit Wantno iShit

The internet seems broken today

I read the article twice and I could not find the part where Uber execs drowned a bag full of puppies, insulted <insert any subset of human population you like> or used some custom software to break at least 3 laws.

I'll get another cup of tea and read it again.

1. Mystic Megabyte
      Joke

Re: The internet seems broken today

"I read the article twice and I could not find the part where Uber execs drowned a bag full of puppies, "

They would never do that, the puppies are locked into treadmills generating power for Bitcoin mining.

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Happy

Re: The internet seems broken today

You know it's just possible that Uber are in the right here.

[laughs hysterically]

No, no seriously! Hear me out. Maybe in this one particular case, Uber haven't done anything wrong, and are the innocent victims.

[laughs even more hysterically]

Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch...

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ah, the choices, the choices..

It's hard to work out who to root for here. I wonder if there is a situation possible in which BOTH lose.

1. tmz

Re: Ah, the choices, the choices..

The lawyers win, which is OK as they have Porsches to insure and yachts to be anti-fouled just like the rest of us.

18. rmason

I'm unsure

Colour me perplexed.

I just cannot figure out which set of arseholes i'm supposed to feel sorry for here. Can we chalk this one up as a "score draw" and all be happy?

"good game, draw was the only fair result really. It ends here Massive Arseholes 2 - Set of utter Bastards 2 , and now it's back to the studio, for something incomprehensible from Jamie Carragher, and something Vacuous from Jamie Redknapp in a fabulous suit."

1. Sgt_Oddball
      Headmaster

Re: I'm unsure

The judges that have to come up with some conclusion at the end of their courtroom bickering.

2. Mephistro
      Coffee/keyboard

"Massive Arseholes 2 - Set of utter Bastards 2"

Excuse me for a minute, but I need to immediately create a dozen ElReg sock-puppet accounts so as to be able to upvote your comment a dozen times more!

;^)

3. Steve K
      Boffin

I've emailed Ed Witten to find where I can get strings small enough to fit the violin needed to accompany the lament here.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Move with the times, and just send him this link.

19. Stevie

Bah!

OR:

Uber Cali goes ballistic, online ads called "bogus".

Now the headline scans properly when sung.

20. Milton

Ah, delicious irony

It's like watching one of those amazingly childish, petty feuds they stage in the Conservative Party: one porcine mediocrity picking his nose and flicking bogies at one of the other useless gobs-on-a-stick and all wetting their knickers and whining to Mommy May about it—but she can't do anything 'cos she had her spine surgically removed and it's been stored in the same, very small jar as her brain... leaving the rest of us thinking, "Fine entertainment! It's like watching stoats fighting in a sack: you just hope they'll all kill each other."

21. notowenwilson

Thankyou

For not referring to them as a "ride sharing" company.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like