back to article HMRC scoops up Microsoft veep for CIO role

HMRC has named Microsoft veep Jacky Wright as its next CIO, The Register can confirm. Wright will replace interim CIO Mike Potter, who headed up the department's technology since former top brass Mark Dearnley stepped down in October 2016. Last year it emerged that Dearnley walked away from his £185,000-a-year job because the …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Empire of the Pussycat

cio's day one meeting

"it's clear from my extensive investigation that what we need in hmrc is more microsoft stuff"

1. Korev Silver badge
      Coat

Re: cio's day one meeting

Hopefully that'd mean they could excel

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

HMRC's big challenge...

HMRC's big challenge is alluded to in the article, and that is disentangling itself from the big Aspire contract. What HMRC does is produce, and then support, large numbers of software applications (that help the Government collect tax).

So what is needed is a new CIO with experience of running a very large IT organisation, who can find a way to deal effectively with many hundreds, if not thousands, of suppliers of bespoke software.

Microsoft with its equivalent (large numbers of internal teams delivering its products) is perhaps as close as you can get, so she may well turn out to be an unexpectedly good catch.

4. Mike Moyle
    Unhappy

I read "HMRC scoops up Microsoft veep..." and got all excited.

You teases.

5. Gio Ciampa

No prizes for guessing...

...which company's UK tax bill will plummet next year...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well, say bye bye to anything working then..

The problem with ex Microsoft people is that they never really leave - a bit like Scientologists appear to behave, so now it all has to become Microsoft. Which means nothing will work, or it will get hacked.

1. Adrian 4

Re: Well, say bye bye to anything working then..

Didn't work out so well for elop / nokia.

Maybe HMRC will get trashed in 3 years time.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And just remember....

that HMRC have already been trying to bring in O365...perhaps this was seen as how to achieve it

And within 5 years she is likely to have flown the nest

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: And just remember....

They must be using a different version of O365 to the one I'm forced to used then? The one I use is very, very broken indeed.

8. Jase Prasad

Microsoft: "crumbs. Our tax avoiding clients will start to feel unsafe, so here's an idea . . .

. . . let's announce our new encrypted Azure portal https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/09/14/encrypted_azure_to_keep_cloud_data_secret/

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like