back to article Giant frikkin' British laser turret to start zapping stuff next year

The Dragonfire laser cannon consortium has unveiled a fullsize mockup of its shipborne blaster at the Defence and Security Exhibition International arms fair in London. The Dragonfire laser turret mockup at DSEI 2017. Pic: MBDA The £30m Dragonfire laser turret mockup at DSEI 2017 The £30m turret-mounted laser cannon is …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

pew pew, go laser sharks, run free. Soon Hollywood will recognise you and make the ultimate film "Sharks on a Train"

The trailer is amazing.

1. theblackhand

Re:Potential movie options

Shirley you mean rebooting Sharknado (1-5) as LaserSharknado? Or SharkLaserNado

I guarantee the trailer will be at least as amazing as the movie. Probably more so...

2. Tom 7

On a train

they are called carriages not trailers.

2. Korev Silver badge
    Boffin

Almost there

We have the laser and the sharks shouldn't be too hard to find; how's the sea bass mutation coming on?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Almost there

It's struggling as it can't find sea drum.

1. Tom 7

Theres shit loads of them - Sciaenidae

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The mutation is coming along swimmingly. The problem is that they are not yet ill-tempered.

3. Chris G

If they can produce a double bass mutation will it have double lasers?

3. ElReg!comments!Pierre

LDEW?

Surely Laser Powered Energy Weapon would be better. El Pew for short.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: LDEW?

Yeah, that's okay, my original though was Laser Energy Weapon (Directed), or LEWD.

1. Poltroon

Re: LDEW?

Ships to make serious use of lasers, especially the higher-powered ones that will follow this model, will obviously require substantial capacity to generate electricity while remaining underway. This could also be used in railguns, which will have an over-the-horizon capacity that lasers lack. Navies will need to work out and wargame the correct mix of these systems.

But without any experience of naval warfare, I can be sure that the ships bearing this potent combination of electrical weaponry into battle must be called Laser And Railgun Dreadnoughts.

4. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

Public demonstration

a public demo will take place in 2019

When I read that, the first thing that popped into my head was the scene in Star Wars where Alderaan gets the good news from the Death Star

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Public demonstration

Somali pirates could've made a nice live target, but I believe their numbers have diminished significantly in recent times.

1. annodomini2

"Somali pirates could've made a nice live target, but I believe their numbers have diminished significantly in recent times."

Nah they just scare easily, but they'll be back and in greater numbers!

2. tokamaktech

Oh MoD, you're far too trusting... Rockall is too remote for an effective demonstration, but we will deal with your Greenpeace friends soon enough. Continue with the operation, you may pew when ready.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Innovative, effective and affordable solutions

Who's he kidding? I can't think of ANYTHING procured by MoD that meets all three, and it is possible to argue that almost all MoD projects didn't meet a single one of those criteria.

Them again, I'm being harsh. I suppose it was "innovative" of MoD to lease C-17s for more than the purchase cost. The QE carriers have certainly been effective in buying votes in Labour strongholds. Affordable, now that's a bit more difficult.

1. SkippyBing

Re: Innovative, effective and affordable solutions

Sea King Mk7, although to be fair they did ignore a lot of the procurement rules for that one...

2. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

Going back a while, but there was the STEN gun....although that did have a habit of sometimes being more effective against the person firing it than it was against the person being fired at.

1. Tim99 Silver badge

One major difference though, the original STEN cost <£150 and came down to about £10 in today's money. I have seen some of the early STEN versions; apparently if you were behind whoever was carrying it, and they pointed the weapon down/forward for safety, it was OK. In spite of its reputation, it was a very effective weapon out to about 40 yards, and described as a "room clearer".

2. Milton

Re: Sten

Ah, good old Sten - competing with the M3 for the "looks like it came from the plumbing aisle of a hardware store" title. But as someone pointed out, it *was* cheap, unlike today's eyewateringly expensive laser wheeze.

I'm curious about the "all weathers" spec ... And will it work as well on shiny, beautifully polished and reflective targets? And those with ablative coatings? And those designed to spin in flight? Or indeed, *any* targets using the obvious, cheap, easy countermeasures?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Sten

Ah, good old Sten - competing with the M3 for the "looks like it came from the plumbing aisle of a hardware store" title

It wasn't known as "The Plumber's Abortion" for nothing

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. fredj

Before my time but I was told the trick was to jump out of a truck and accidentally hit the but on the ground. This would knock out the safety pin and prime the mechanism to fire a bullet upwards though your chin.

The secret of these guns was that they could be made by village blacksmiths. Now there is a tip for our defense procurement costings! OOps, village blacksmiths are long gone.

3. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Unhappy

"Re: Innovative, effective and affordable solutions. Who's he kidding?"

Well I don't see the name of BAe Systems* here, so maybe it is

*Who I rahter suspect were the "losing bidder" referred to in the article.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Holmes

Based on the picture, looks like it will double as a full-body MRI device when it's not in use blasting North Korean ICBMs out of the sky.

So it's affordable because NHS is going to foot 90% of the bill. That is, as long as it's hooked up to a proper Windows XP Home Edition installation with a minimum of 500MB of ram.

5. streaky

Innovative, effective and affordable solutions

Obviously you're not looking hard enough or your have impossibly high bar definitions of those words. Storm Shadow was that, SAMPSON is that.. Brimstone.. the list is endless.

Side note something being expensive doesn't mean it isn't affordable, take for example the F-35...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A likely (west side) story

The way that the Lightning II is going, the Navy stand more chance of getting Sharks than they do of getting Jets

1. Andy The Hat Silver badge

Re: A likely (west side) story

The way the navy are going it'd be more effective to steer the ship close then lob very hungry sharks at the enemy with a rubber catapult.

Or, going high tech, perhaps a battery of Vector ® Squid Guns ... (should that be a kalamari of Squid Guns?)

Or just smack Kim-J-Whatsit across the hairstyle with a wet cod until he gets really annoyed ...

7. Mystic Megabyte
    Unhappy

Logo

I wonder how much MBDA paid their artistic designer to choose the matching carpet, chair and ropes?

Also, where is the slot to put your shilling in?

1. Rich 11

Re: Logo

Also, where is the slot to put your shilling in?

Just be careful which lens you put your eye to.

8. Robin Bradshaw

I have a plan to uparmour my drone to defeat this using easily and cheaply produced ablative carbon foam tiles¹ to whom sould I apply for an opportunity to test this armour against the laser? Perhaps the special projects bureau could get this tested for us, expensive laser Vs £1 worth of diy carbon foam? :P

¹ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wex_yKfrTo4

9. JetSetJim
    Coat

> The laser reportedly drew 10kW during its 2010 trials, with MBDA claiming 50kW would be possible with extra funding.

By charging another £10M and just changing the fuse to a higher rating?

1. Paul Herber Silver badge

> The laser reportedly drew 10kW during its 2010 trials, with MBDA claiming 50kW would be possible with extra funding.

'By charging another £10M and just changing the fuse to a higher rating?

All they need is a new knob, one that goes up to 11.

1. LewisRage

You'd need it to go to 50 really or you've got a really weird scale there, 1-10 = 1MW to 10MW, 10-11 10MW to 50MW.

In fact I think you'd find the manufacturers of my electric shower temperature control already have a version of that technology.

1. IanRS

Use a log scale

So the knob only has to go to about 13.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

All they need is a new knob

Why? For the arms industry, I'd suggest that the existing collection of complete knobs in the MoD are doing a sterling job.

3. hplasm
        Happy

All they need is a new knob...

What, more changes in the boardroom?

2. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Not only the fuse

You'd presumably need a 5x higher resistor in the amplification circuit too, so make that £20M

1. Chris G

Re: Not only the fuse

If you're going to change the fuse AND the resistor you are going to need a sparks, so you had better add another million for callout and maybe an extra half a million for the sharp intake of breath when he gets there, looks at the job and says he has to go back to the van to get a different screwdriver.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Charge another £10M and add a dummy load.

The continuous power *output* of the laser would be a more interesting measure.

10. Matthew Smith

Bindun

The Royal Navy had laser weapons in the Falklands conflict. They did their job to harass the Argentine pilots. They pulled a blinder, you might say.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Bindun

The Royal Navy had laser weapons in the Falklands conflict.

Tell that rubbish to the Welsh Guards, mate.

1. SkippyBing

Would that be the Welsh Guards who were told not to offload personnel and ammo on the same landing craft in a war zone?

2. Trigonoceps occipitalis

"They pulled a blinder ... "

They actually pulled a dazzler and thus remained within the Laws of War.

11. James 51
    Black Helicopters

Laser directed energy weapon. If it is directed by the laser, what's the weapon part? Or is there a laser for targeting and another for the pew pew part?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Probably better described using normal military syntax, e.g. "Weapon, Directed Energy, Laser"

2. Nick Ryan Silver badge

I believe that there are one, possibly more, lasers for targetting with the high power laser only being used when the target laser, or lasers, are on target. I could be totally wrong, but that's my memory of how it works and it makes sense to ensure that the calibration is working.

12. ukgnome

Pah

This will be useless when Cthulhu rises from his slumber.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Pah

What about an Ultimate Laser Fighting Contest with Gort?

I'd pay to watch that.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Next step :

The enemy will create ordnance with a shiny refelctive coating...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Next step :

I seem to recall reading on here somewhere that the laser only needs to make a tiny imperfection in a reflective surface for it to next to useless as a defence against the laser. The tiny imperfection rapidly expanding or something.

Anyone with more knowledge than me care to refresh my memory please?

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

The knowledge you seek is here.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Pint

Thank you!

Have a beer and an upvote!

14. Salestard

Counter-Measures?

Would the underside of CDs provide a useful counter-measure?

Should I buy shares in Music Magpie?

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

New aircraft carriers....

Giant stage, check.

Laser light show, check.

1500 strong dance troupe, check.

It's a giant floating cabaret show, the senior service out-camping Putin on a massive scale.

1. Korev Silver badge
      Coat

Re: New aircraft carriers....

Yep, there'll be seamen all over the place

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bugs?

"Once those tests have ironed out any bugs, a public demo will take place in 2019"

Surely they should be zapping the bugs ......... ironing them makes such a mess.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What!!

<quote>

which is buying Dragonfire on behalf of the navy. Once those tests have ironed out any bugs, a public demo will take place in 2019.

</quote>

Why are they buying one BEFORE they have tested it. If the company was so confident with the product, then why not lend one for testing / demo purposes.

Is this a done deal? (ENK syndrome, beer token for the first commentard to get it right)

1. phuzz Silver badge

Re: What!!

If they waited for a working weapon before they bought it then there'd be less opportunities for massive cost over-runs, and without them it wouldn't be a proper procurement project would it?

(Also, in this case they're basically funding the R&D)

18. Sgt_Oddball
    Paris Hilton

anyone else..

think it looks like Johnny 5 bulked up?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: anyone else..

No Disassemble!

19. Richard Scratcher

Dragonfire?

I think LDEW is more catchy... as in: "How the L DEW expect to meet those five criteria?".

20. Anonymous Coward
    Headmaster

>drones, to you and I

Oh for fuck's sake, how difficult is it to tell the difference between a subject and an object? If you're going to pretend to be a journalist, at least have a rudimentary grasp of the language you're writing in.

21. Mark 85

Dragonfire?

Seems to be a common name for weapons... mortars, missiles, etc. I just hope procurement and supply know the difference when it comes to parts, etc.

22. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

What's the weather like?

So alongside the destroyers with engines that can't work in warm water we have a laser defence that won't work in rain, fog or snow?

23. Not also known as SC

Really Stupid but Genuine Question

I know I could probably look this up but I much prefer the explanations given by Reg Commentards. Usually far more interesting and informative than wikipedia etc.

So here goes. Could you defeat this laser by having a highly mirrored surface on the target? I guess the answer is no, but why not?

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Really Stupid but Genuine Question

It's hard to keep mirrors clean in the real world.

Any speck of dirt, oil, fingerprint or squashed bug gives you a spot that is highly absorbing, this then heats up and blackens, so the damage spreads, so it absorbs more energy and so on.

The super expensive 99.99% reflective mirrors inside the equipement can be destroyed spectacularly by a bit of contamination

1. Not also known as SC
        Pint

So a 'reflectively pure' mirror would protect the target, but real life mirrors are usually covered in grease etc and these contaminates allow the laser heat to build up causing the damage.

Makes sense - have an early --->

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The best defence would be corner reflectors, they reflect the beam back in the direction whence it came.

Lacking that, the good old smoke screen could be quite effective.

24. x 7

Albatrosses not sharks

Sharks fitted with lasers would be a waste of time

What you need are albatrosses fitted with them: airborne with virtually unlimited endurance

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Albatrosses not sharks

But then you wouldn't need carriers

The new BAe shark carriers will be ideal for laser equipped sharks and it is hoped that with further investment and a moderately expensive refit it will be possible to research ways to launch them into the air

1. x 7

Re: Albatrosses not sharks

I guess the Sea Harriers did look like flying sharks when seen at altitude

25. NohSpam
    Devil

Glitterball

Get yourself a nearly FREE laser weapon by buying a mirror

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bzzzz! KaPOW! Dackackakckakc! KaPOW!

BzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZ! KaPOW!

KaBOOM! BzzzzZZZZZzzzz! BOOOOOOM!

Marvellous.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon