back to article David Potter rejoins 'New New Psion' as Hon.Chairman

Psion founder David Potter has joined the company behind the Gemini project to re-create the classic Psion PDA. Potter will act as Planet Computing's Honorary Chairman, and plans to invest in efforts to get the product off the ground. Gemini uses new designs by Martin Riddiford of Therefore, the industrial designer for the …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mixed feelings..

Hmm, Potter back. I'm uncertain what he would bring other than marketing gloss, the innovation has already taken place. Or maybe higher prices, if I recall Psion's marketing strategy.

2. BebopWeBop

I loved my Psions (multiple). Where they fell down is in neglecting the connectivity - even good synch for their devices. I remember (many years ago) investing in the comms pack - about £40 I seem to remember. I seem to remember it worked and even integrated with an early version of Outlook. But communications always seemed second hand (OK, just 3s and a 5) and I remember palm coming along and eating their lunch mainly because they synched well and people were prepared to adopt them and use something else for the remote terminal.

That lack of an idea really sunk them as far as I could see. But I do like the idea of the new palmtop - and am likely to buy one.

1. Andrew Moore

PsiWin's main problem was; it sent a query to see if it was talking to a PDA and the acknowledgement response was to repeat back the query. Which meant that every modem (internal and external) with echo on confused it into thinking it was talking to a PDA. That one caused me no end of fun when I worked on tech support.

3. AMBxx Silver badge

Blackberry

"Reintroducing a physical keyboard effectively liberates the high resolution screen by maximising the display viewing area, providing an unrivalled user experience,"

Sounds like my BB Priv!!

I'd love to see this design using x86. Proper computer, none of this Android stuff.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Blackberry

Bit difficult to do x86 when Mobile Atom is dead.

2. Adrian 4

Current X86 isn't a proper computer. It's a hack (too many bastard children to list) of a hack (686) of a hack (pentium) of a hack (486) of hack (386) of a hack (286) of a hack (8086) of a hack (8085) of an 8080.

At least ARMs improve the architecture rather than bolting on another emulation with each generation.

Even intel want to kill it, but they're in too deep.

3. Down not across

I'd love to see this design using x86. Proper computer, none of this Android stuff.

It's Mediatek SoC (so ARM cores), dual boots into Debian or Android. So if if you boot into Debian you have pretty much a proper computer. For battery powered device, I think ARM is better choice than x86.

And no, I did not back it. I almost did, but wasn't prepared to gamble that amount of money. If it becomes a reality I'll probably by one once the bugs are ironed out and the price is somewhat reasonable.

4. erikborgo

My new GPD Pocket Mini is almost as small and contains an Atom, runs Windows 10... despite it's 7000mah battery I don't think it would last as long as it would on ARM... wish it was a tad smaller. Still, faster and better than the old Vaio P it replaced. About to install a dual boot Linux. Sometimes you just need a pocketable computer on the road.

4. steelpillow Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Confidence

My confidence in this company has just improved by an order of magnitude.

Potter & Co. have been quite good at making rueful remarks about how they learned from their mistakes. Roll on hard-won experience. Fingers still a little crossed though.

5. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge
    Trollface

Voldemort better stay away then

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I really hope this guy will make shure the clamshells ship before Xmass.

7. F512dmx
    Happy

Well this venture sounds good to me

I used a Psion 3a & 5mx a long time ago & for many years. I will indeed keep an eye on this project.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon