back to article RIP wireless laptop docks as Intel bins WiGig parts

Intel has issued “Product Change Notifications” for several WiGig products it used to make wireless laptop docks. Chipzilla's interest in WiGig laptop docks was a classic Intel attempt to cook up a product that needs its silicon on the client and in peripherals, in the hope that PC-building partners would popularise the result …

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Stop flailing about Intel

You're digging your own grave.

A standard dock could be great. How could you screw it up?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"VR and AR kit is destined for the enterprise"

"We couldn't flog it to gamers, so now we're trying to flog it to businesses. I mean, they buy iPads, how hard can it be?"

1. HPCJohn

Re: "VR and AR kit is destined for the enterprise"

USB-C makes a great dock. You can get power, ethernet and 4K video signals ina single small reversible connector. I have a USB-C equipped laptop and itis the dogs dangly bits.

If you want to reduce desktop clutter all you need is a monitr with USB-C and the power profile. Once cable and you're sorted.

I don;t have a USB-C monitor, but a small slimine hub gives me USB-C power in, USB 3.0 and HDMI.

So all I need to do is leave this hub which is about the size of a cigarette lighter on my desk and hook up. one cable.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

>USB-C makes a great dock. You can get power, ... . I have a USB-C equipped laptop and itis the dogs dangly bits.

I can see your point, however just a word of caution - not all ports are equal: the laptop has to support the charging of it'self via the/a/all USB-C port(s) the charging connector can plug into, from a totally dead battery state without blowing the port etc.

However, as a mobile worker with no permanent work desk, these docks are only of use on my home office desk.

1. HPCJohn

Good point. I have an HP Spectre x360. this has a single USB-A port - which can charge other devices when the laptop is off. Two USB-C ports with Thundeprbolt, both useable for charging the laptop. No other method for charging. Not meaning to be sarrcy, but if this laptop won't power from USB-C then ...errr.. I'm a bit fubared!

2. jmch Silver badge
        Thumb Up

This.

You can anyway never have a truly wireless dock unless you also have wireless charging, which would add a lot of complexity to the laptop compared with just connecting a single cable

2. Nick Ryan Silver badge

...and for some reason some people still believe the tech pushers and think that VR and AR are "the next thing" and not just another fad. Yes, there are use cases for it but these are rather niche and while I'll happily agree that it's fun tech, practical uses are thin on the ground.

1. HPCJohn

Nick, are you so sure about that? Augmented Reality is certainly used in the medical field, to overlay the results of scans when a patient is being operated on.

With VR I imagine there will be lots of applicaitons in military weapons training - much less expensive to fire off a pretend rocket/missile/anti-tank gun.

I say 'will be' as I am not familiar with this field.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like