back to article Atlassian releases 'Stride', because HipChat isn't hip enough to whack Slack

Atlassian has decided HipChat is terminally un-hip and created a new product with which to take on Slack in the messaging-with-benefits market. Dubbed “Stride” and billed as a “recommended” upgrade for users of Atlassian's current chat application, the new application offers voice and video meetings out of the box. There's …

1. D.A.

This is the company that owns Jira. 'Nuff said.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Compared to most of the ticketing systems I've had to use over the years, Jira is quite good.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Compared to most of the ticketing systems I've had to use over the years, Jira is quite good.

If you just want a ticketing system then Jira isn't really for you. It's got a whole lot more in it which makes getting started a bit more difficult. But even so it's much better than most of the other systems.

I generally like Atlassian's stuff: it has the feel of something they tend to use themselves and care about. I also found them to be pretty responsive to suggestions. But they still insisted on switching Bitbucket to massive 7MB SPA! :-/

2. macjules

Presumably it was going to be called " 'Strine" then.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yep and it's superb.... It's also way more that a ticketing system when linked with stash... It destroys anything Microsoft can offer with TFS (have you seen how bad TFS issue tracking is???)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just what we need...

Another messaging platform, which you have to migrate to or run in parallel.

Could they not simply add features incrementally to HipChat?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Just what we need...

They could. I think they're accepting that HipChat is, well, pretty uncool. Slack isn't growing because it has more features, it isn't growing because it's more secure and it certainly isn't growing because it's cheaper. It's growing because it's cool and because it has name recognition.

Adding features isn't what will enable HipChat to compete more effectively with Slack - frankly it's already a much more comprehensive tool than Slack. Cutting price won't work because it's already 1/10-1/20 the price of Slack on a per-user basis.

This is a branding and imaging problem, so that's what they're fixing.

2. phuzz Silver badge

They've been promising to allow non-OSX users to login to multiple accounts from one client for about three years now (when they released it for OSX they said it was 'coming soon' for Linux and Windows).

Aaaaaaaand when I tried to follow the link to the blog post where they announced such functionality:

blog.hipchat.com/2015/06/08/connecting-multiple-accounts-on-hipchat-is-here

it gets redirected to their new Stride announcement.

So no more features for HipChat, and presumably no bug fixes or other upgrades either, how else are they going to get people to 'upgrade'?

3. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Could they not simply add features incrementally to HipChat?

Probably not. It was something they bought and badged. They may well have lost the original developers and determined that the codebase is not really maintainable (this happens a lot with acquisitions). Or it might be that they have a shiny new asynchronous framework they want to use.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oooo Disruptive! Innovative! Amazeballs!

" “Focus Mode” that mutes all incoming messages and informs colleagues you're trying to get some work done without interruption."

Because Do Not Disturb is so last year.

1. paulf
      Unhappy

Re: Oooo Disruptive! Innovative! Amazeballs!

There's also something called “Focus Mode” that mutes all incoming messages and informs colleagues you're trying to get some work done without interruption encourages colleagues to come over to your desk to interrupt you in person with their tenuous problems instead.

FTFY

4. Sykowasp

The integration with other Atlassian products could prove very attractive to potential business users.

A lot of custom work in businesses is done integrating notifications from CI/Wiki/Build tools into the business chat systems. This sounds like it will be native now (I guess with a plugin for said CI/Wiki/Build system to tell it where to send the notification).

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

After having to prop-up Jira for the last year, there is no amount of free that would make me trial another Atlassian product.

Used to use HipChat, now much happier on Slack.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But....

Does it work well on Macs?

Having issues getting the native app to speak to our hipchat server and Atlassian seem only slightly interested in resolving it. Though it might be a config issue at the server end. Which is weird as we have at least one office mac working with it natively....mine.

But anyways - if it's new and shiny then that might just distract the design team long enough to get them using it (instead of slack where the rest of us use hipchat, <sarcasm>Which is helpful</sarcasm>).

Anon because I still have to work with them I suppose.

1. macjules

Re: But....

When in doubt: uninstall and go back to Slack. I get bewildered now by the Skype/Teams/Lync combo where they all try to get you to install their chat client for conferencing and you just end up using a telephone.

7. batfastad

HipChat

We've got full Atlassian here, on-prem because that's where it's at these days. Would probably switch to Slack if they offered an on-prem version.

HipChat is ok but the UI isn't anywhere near customisable enough for my liking. I wish it was a bit better to use with any XMPP client but so much of its functionality is based around the web app core.

8. fobobob

Microsoft could really do something with Teams if they were able to make the damn thing just a bit more configurable. And not become completely non-functional when the internet is out.

9. Jonathan 27

Stride makes me think of sugar free gum.

We currently use Slack and JIRA around here, and I can't see us WANTING to change that. But if Atlassian offers bundled pricing the beancounters may force the situation.

10. This post has been deleted by its author

11. FozzyBear
    Mushroom

Great yet another way one of the great unwashed can annoy me. Email, and any other form of instant chat is just another way for those in the office to simply palm off any problems or issues they may have onto someone else so it becomes their problem. No need {diety} forbid think or try to solve it yourself. Nope simply send the message and someone else will come running to solve it.

They did it yesterday no more than 10 meters away and they send an email and a service desk for a simple printer problem. Really, Select the right one you friggin' brainless moron.

Nope no way will I accept another way these thoughtless twits can annoy me

That was quite cathartic. Thanks. I suppose I can put the fire axe down and start my work day

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like