back to article IBM's global load balancer and reverse DNS degraded by domain transfer mess

IBM's cloudy global load balancer and reverse DNS services have been impacted by a DNS mess inflicted on Big Blue by a domain name registrar. In an email to customers, IBM says that on September 6th “During a bulk transfer of domain names between two domain registrar services, two domains (global-datacenter.com and global- …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More likely IBM stuffed up by using some $2 per hour grad in India to manage their Domain/DNS registrations.

1. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

This exact scenario is unlikely here, but the sentiment is spot on. Upvote.

2. Hans 1
    Happy

Compare that to the monthly outages on Azure ... From January to June this year, I experienced at least one outage a month, some lasting a week ... if I count authentication issues with Firefox, I think it took them 6 weeks to fix ...

As for The Register:

https://ibb.co/hMMhya

Yes, comment@rd experiences outage while commenting on another outage ...

1. Nolveys

Compare that to the monthly outages on Azure...From January to June this year, I experienced at least one outage a month, some lasting a week

That's a lot better than I would have expected.

3. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Joke

Total Inability to Support Usual Performance

I do hope El Reg didn't choose Big Blue...

1. paulf
      Meh

Re: Total Inability to Support Usual Performance

After all their IBM coverage in recent years perhaps they did and this mornings El Reg downtime was the revenge?. All my attempts to read El Reg over my cornflakes crapped out to a Cloudflare holding page. I had to rely on the other half for my morning dose of snarky commentary.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"That IBM's cloud can be degraded by a supplier's error is therefore unusual." Not really, at least twice last year Cloudant stopped working because the DNS provider DYN failed. And when Cloudant stops working a lot of other things go down in Bluemix.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Practice

Perhaps IBM was just practicing for they day they shut off ALL their domains, permanently?

6. mako23

Expect more of this to happen

IBM has fired so many experienced staff that had high intellectual capital. What's left is low payed staff with low intellectual capital. No disrespect to these individuals but you can't replace those individuals with twenty plus years of experience with staff out of an Indian university.

I'm an old timer who left IBM many years ago, the company I knew doesn't exist anymore. I expect further declining revenue and profit. In my opinion the share price is still way over valued.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like