back to article You are the one per cent if you read Firefox's privacy spiels

Fewer than one per cent of users installing the Firefox browser bother to read the fine print regarding privacy, so the browser's makers at the Mozilla Foundation are going to put it in your face. Firefox 56, due September 26th, will therefore display the browser's Privacy Notice as the second tab after new installs of the …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Could Mozilla....

Could Mozilla turn this into a deliberately dedious 35 stage opt-out process to turn off just 5 settings, like Google's UK Privacy check up tool?

Given it's now a single privacy setting in Mozilla, using Google's methodology, that should translate into at least 7 stages/(clicks) per opt out, if they like Google, really (and I mean really) don't want users to opt out of their data collection strategies.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The usual Gov?

We really need a better solution, something akin to the pub landlord "You want your usual privacy settings Gov?" (Note, not Google's default privacy settings, which is data collection on by default)

If Mozilla/Firefox can fingerprint devices as Google does already, there is no reason to keep asking to complete Privacy Checkups, when a user clears cookies on exit/manually. If the privacy checkup has been completed once, these companies have this info elsewhere already (in terms of the device fingerprint).

1. veti Silver badge

Re: The usual Gov?

Ironic simile, because the pub landlord is only able to ask that because he knows all about your habits.

Seriously, if you want that sort of service, you should be all for people collecting data on you.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: The usual Gov?

There was meant to be a little irony there, as that did cross my mind, regards the Pub Landlord 'knowing you'.

The distinction I was trying to make is the fact Google fingerprint your devices (without permission) and store this fingerprint in their cloud, but at the same time constantly prompt you via the UK's Privacy Check-up tool to confirm your privacy settings, when Google can see full well the fingerprinted device being used has setup the Privacy opt-out already..

If you clear your cookies, it shouldn't make a difference, but maybe Google just saw that as too creepy, using that retained info, to continue to store opt-out info.

Personally, I find fingerprinting devices without permission, creepy, there should be explicit consent for this to happen. Such as "Do you Google to store a fingerprint about the device your using?"

2. Sir Runcible Spoon
      Headmaster

Re: Could Mozilla....

"dedious "

Devious or tedious? It's hard to tell from the context :)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Could Mozilla....

Just the rush to get the first post...though I think you just invented a very suitable dual word, that fits perfectly.

2. Sam Adams the Dog

Tedious or Devious

Ummm... why do we have to choose? I'll take both (with my pony....)

2. Nick Kew

How often?

If I read and accepted the T&C's of Firefox's ancestor twenty years ago, how many times should I have read it thereafter? I don't recollect aptitude thrusting them in my face when it updates Firefox for me, nor even when I run a new install on a new machine.

Are you saying something has materially changed this century? Without ever generating an alert? Damn, this smells of lawyer-fodder.

1. Adam 52 Silver badge

Re: How often?

Lots of lawyer fodder in May. Which I guess is why they're changing.

But it's not just aptitude, Windows Update and Play Store do the same. Heck Play Store forces an update everything on a new Android version. Technically that's all​ illegal at the moment but nobody cares. The publicity around GDPR and the closing loopholes will make it much easier for the sueballs. And I consider that a good thing.

3. Lysenko

It is patently obvious that any browser manufacturer could implement an "Allow Phone home?" toggle which switched off all telemetry/snooping with a single click and only bothered the user with granular permissions when switched on. No-one does that. I wonder why? Google at least admit they're intentionally industrial scale data thieves. What's the Mozilla excuse?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

because it users to the preferences where they fumbled about

eh?!

1. frank ly

Re: because it users to the preferences where they fumbled about

Exactly! You found it confusing. I'm sure that was Simon's point.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mozilla's sudden

Mozilla's sudden burst of posts on privacy less than a month after it floated the idea of making Firefox telemetry collection opt-out instead of opt-in.

methinks something's missing. me brains? :(

6. Dan 55 Silver badge

You are not the 1%

1) Anyone clued up on privacy doesn't opt-in to telemetry anyway.

2) People who don't care leave telemetry settings set to the default, which as telemetry is opt-in, is off.

The result is that Mozilla is making decisions for all of Firefox's users based on the actions of a small amount them.

7. Nick Ryan Silver badge

It really depends on what is collected, how this collection is justified and, in particular, whether this can be tracked back to an individual in any manner.

There is nothing wrong with error reports, processing statistics and the other - this helps developers fix issues that otherwise they will have missed. Which is important given the weirdo stuff that is "normal" out there in web land, let alone anything that is deliverately abnormal in a malicious way. It's the fine line between providing enough detail to allow somebody to look into and fix the error and allowing the same person, or an automated tool, to join up details about the user and their browsing habits.

1. Anthony 13

Yes I wonder about the Venn diagram overlap of people who turn off telemetry, and people who bitterly complain about bugs (to be fair, I'm probably in it!) If only IT companies were even vaguely trustworthy...

8. Richard Hewitt

Mozilla jumped the shark around about version 28. Plus they are not really relevant any more in terms of market share. This is from a long-term user thinking of deserting the sinking ship.

1. King Jack
      Facepalm

deserting the sinking ship..

If you like Firefox but hate all the bullshit it contains, love all your old plugins and would like to continue using them then switch to Waterfox. It is a fork of Firefox with all the crap removed. Switching is seamless. 1. Download load file. 2. Close Firefox. 3. Run Waterfox. Everything is the same, bookmarks remain etc, but no telemetry and your old plugins and themes work.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

GDPR ?

So pretty sure GDPR means you have to specifically ask a user to consume their data and cant auto populate checkmarks etc so im assuming this wont last long in europe ?

1. Nick Ryan Silver badge

Re: GDPR ?

GDPR applies to personally identifiable data. If the data is not personally identifiable then it doesn't matter therefore anonymous (or anonymised) usage data is not covered by the GDPR in any way.

10. Ron 10

Why do we care? We will all be dropping Firefox in the fall.

11. onefang

Where's the tips and corrections link for the comments? This lot needs several.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like