back to article It's happening! Official retro Thinkpad lappy spotted in the wild

The long-awaited "retro" Thinkpad will be based on the guts of a contemporary T470 laptop, Lenovo's business workhorse, according to a German certification site. Lenovo inherited IBM's notebook brand 12 years ago, and with it a design classic. However, in 2012 Lenovo saw fit to "modernise" the iconic keyboard, along with …

1. Yet Another Hierachial Anonynmous Coward

Indestructible

Lets hope they are as well built, long lasting, and as indestructible as the proper ones were.

And for real authenticity can we have them made in Greenock, not China, please?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. AMBxx Silver badge

Re: Indestructible

Mine even survived being left on the train. Quick car journey from Borough Green to Maidstone to collect.

1. Lotaresco

"Mine even survived being left on the train."

"Even thieves don't want them" is not a good selling point.

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: "Even thieves don't want them" is not a good selling point."

If someone left the Koh-I-Nor on a train to Maidstone it would probably arrive unscathed because nobody down the pub would have a good use for it.

2. illiad

not even worth stealing then???? :)

2. theOtherJT Silver badge

Screw 16:10

I want my damn 4:3 back.

1. ArrZarr Silver badge

Re: Screw 16:10

...Why?

yes, this is a serious question. What is the advantage of 4:3 outside the world of playing old PC games?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Because 80% of the screen is wasted when writing a document or reading on the web? Not not noticed the huge unused space and constant scrolling on this site?

1. Lotaresco

"Because 80% of the screen is wasted when writing a document?"

Which would make 9:16, or preferably 210:297, a more useful format than 16:10.

1. theOtherJT Silver badge

Which would make 9:16, or preferably 210:297, a more useful format than 16:10.

9:16 is actually a bit annoying, because it's too tall for my predator-evolved binocular vision designed to track horizontal movement to really deal with. 3:4 on the other hand is a nice middle ground, and why I keep 2 monitors in portrait aspect.

2. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: or preferably 210:297

Otherwise known as 1:sqrt(2)

One of my clients actually threw his [company-provided] IBM ThinkPad at the wall in frustration one day. Apart from the slight dent in the wall, no damage was incurred. (He had a habit of installing such utilities as registry-cleaners on it and I had the job of regularly uninstalling them.)

And this is why you will find me still recommending ThinkPads.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Re: or preferably 210:297

I raise you.

My wife tried to break my work laptop, she was even angrier when it still worked.

AC because for some reason I'm still married.

2. DNTP

But you see, the wider the screen is, the better for working on Word documents. The width gives you more room for the toolbars, persistent menus, widgets, assistants, and productivity thingies that multiply with each release.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Not used Word for a while? They replaced all the bits along the sides with this big Ribbon along the top..

Which I mean, makes great sense in the age of Widescreen...

2. Lotaresco

But you see, the wider the screen is, the better for working on Word documents."

Not in any recent version of Word. That pointless ribbon thing takes up the top 1/3rd of a landscape format screen hence document editing is like gynaecology through the letterbox.

1. Dabooka

@Lotaresco

I believe his point was the toolbar etc are installed down the edges of the doc to mitigate the pointless-ribbon-type-thing

3. Roland6 Silver badge

"The width gives you more room for the toolbars, persistent menus, widgets, assistants, and productivity thingies that multiply with each release."

Aka clutter...

The funny thing is that I probably used more of Word's built in functionality before the ribbon was introduced than I do now...

3. Wayland

Look at the way people hold their phones when looking at them. They have a choice.

4. MrXavia

"Because 80% of the screen is wasted when writing a document or reading on the web?"

I have 3 wide screen monitors, right now the reg is split onto a single half of one of the screens... no wasted space at all

1. Flossie

You can do that with a big wide screen monitor on a desktop. The problem is with the smaller laptops, a 16:9 screen isn't wide enough to be able to accommodate two browser windows side by side without triggering horizontal scrolling, so you have wasted space on the edges and more scrolling because the screen lacks height. 4:3 is the ideal size for a small screen, 16:9 starts to makes sense if the monitor is 18" or bigger.

5. DasWezel

Never had two documents open side-by-side? I'll admit I wouldn't want to go any lower than 1920x1080 for that sort of thing, but in the spirit of fairness it should probably be mentioned.

(Daily is a x61 1024x768 Thinkpad with a 2048x1152 23" monitor from 2008 before "Full HD" ruined everything)

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

It's horses for courses, but generally 16:10 or 3:2 is well suited to productivity applications and for reading documents and webpages. The reason? Title bars, menu bars and ribbons will soon eat into the height of the the screen, so what starts as a 16:9 letterbox becomes a slit. Reading an article then requires lots of scrolling. Urgh. Also, a taller screen means that the user's gaze is at a higher, more comfortable position for longer.

Of course, I've seen very wide spreadsheets spread across several monitors, and DTP workstations with monitors in Portrait, so there is no once aspect ratio fits all. However, it would be nice to have some choice in the market. At present, damned near every laptop has a 16:9 screen except for Apple (16:10) and Microsoft (3:2).

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Chrome (and all other browsers) are playing with you. They could add menu bars to the side (I do for OS) if they really wanted better *usability*, but instead what they actually want is your attention.

1. ROC

Actually, any Chromebook I have looked at lets you select from a wide variety of resolutions, even if not "optimal" for the screen hardware, and Windows will allow, to a lesser extent, similar such settings. Alas, most Linux DE's are not so accommodating with their implementation of the X-Window manager, and insist on only what the hardware "signals" to it as acceptable.

2. Lotaresco

"However, it would be nice to have some choice in the market."

Bring back the Radius Pivot monitor.

1. phuzz Silver badge

"Bring back the Radius Pivot monitor."

There's plenty of brand new monitors that can pivot on their stand (eg), and then you just rotate the display via your graphics drivers or OS. (Well, I assume OSX can do this, Windows and Linux can)

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: "Bring back the Radius Pivot monitor."

"There's plenty of brand new monitors that can pivot on their stand"

Stands that permit display rotation have been around for decades, monitors that actually do it intelligently aren't so readily obtainable. For example the Dell monitor linked to:

"Switch orientation quickly and easily: With enhanced menu rotation software, you can rotate your screen from landscape to portrait orientation or vice versa, then follow the on-screen prompt to orient your on-screen content. It’s that simple."

Sorry, Dell (and Microsoft), but when I rotate the monitor I expect the OS and monitor to auto rotate the display contents - if Apple can do it on an iPad and the need has been known about since at least the 1980's then there really is no excuse.

The Dell XPS-18 (a portable all-in-one / large tablet) can do it, but the screen movement and redraw isn't fast or something you want to watch...

2. Roland6 Silver badge

>Bring back the Radius Pivot monitor.

Does the MS Surface auto rotate?

The Dell XPS-18 (Windows 8.1) does, but comparing Windows (and Android) rotation with the iPad and you see that Apple actually cracked it.

3. khjohansen

... because 25xx X 20xx pixels .. not whatever the definition of "FullHD" is this week!

1. AMBxx Silver badge

3 screens here:

I use 16:9 for work (database and report design) because it work well.

16:9 for Outlook as I can fit both the task list and folder list either side of the email.

4:3 for browsing - as someone else mentioned - there's no need to waste so much screen on empty bars on either side.

2. Inspector71

Not enough upvotes on the internet but have mine. My T43p, gone but not forgotten.....sigh.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: T43P

Mine went to the great recycling centre only last week.

It outlived a T410....

IMHO, the longest lasting kit I've ever used was IBM Thinkpads followed by Macbook Pro's. (2010 17in MBP still going strong)

HP produced some decent lappies (Elitebook 8770W) but were really hard to get here. They couldn't be half arsed to put a UK KB and ship them here.

My old company was still issuing HP Lappies with 1366x768 screens this time last year.

If I was still working I'd be angling for a new Thinkpad.

2. Loud Speaker

My T43p isn't gone at all. It has an SSD, and travels with me everywhere.

OTOH, my T61p stays at home or in the office.

1. duncangareth

How, may I ask, did you get an SSD into your T43p? I have a T43, but it has an IDE interface for the HDD.

1. enormous c word

I put a 300GB SSD in my T43P and it transformed it - unfortunately the screen hinge failed abou 3 months ago and that was that. The SSD went in as a daughter card in a panel on the underside. Worked a treat and left my HD or documents only.

2. jabuzz

Go to eBay pick up a mSATA to 2.5" 44pin IDE HDD converter for £3 shipped from China. Then pick the mSATA drive of your choice (capacities up to 1TB are readily available). Screw together and stick in whatever laptop or other device you want.

4. enormous c word

All I really want from a laptop (apart from blistering performance) is a 4:3 screen, a trackpoint (don't want a track pad) a nice matt screen (no shiny, shiny shite, thanks) and removable drive and battery bays.

5. Flossie

The only benefit I ever saw to 16:9 (or 16:10) was that it's good for watching Video. It's rubbish for anything text-based because the lines are too long, in most cases you end up with a lot of wasted space and more scrolling. Ask yourself why books are rarely published in landscape format! What gets me are the repeated protestations that "nobody makes 4:3" when the iPad is 4:3, including the iPad pro which has a 13" 4:3 screen.

The Thinkpad X1 Tablet has a 3:2 screen which isn't far off 4:3. I'd prefer the retro design of the laptop described here, but it has to be an X series ultraportable. I'm assuming since this is a T it will be at least a 14", that's too big and heavy for me. If they could shrink the retro case and use the screen from the X1 tablet, I'd be first in line. As it is, I'll probably get the X1 tablet when my X61 finally dies.

2. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Not many people want 4:3 so I can gather them for my work tower. Unfortunately it also means that it's increasingly difficult to find 4:3 lappies. For my last one I had to settle for 16:10.

1. enormous c word

@ElReg!comments!Pierre

"Not many people want 4:3"

No true - everyone wants 4:3, its just that none are available to buy because the industry has standardised on 16:9 to fall in line with TV production. 16:9 has no use in computing or a work environment. It wouldn't be so bad if all the MS Ribbon crap could be relocated to the side - but it seems to only be positionable at the top making your content/working area almost unusable. 16:9 is a huge step backwards - the iPad and ChromeBook got it right at least.

3. Steve Evans

I still miss my R52 and its 1400 x 1050... :'(

A laptop that was a convenient size, and still had great vertical resolution.

Sure, these days I have a 1920x1080, so even more vertical dots, but then I also have a load of excess horizontal dots with it, which make it much more cumbersome.

1. jabuzz

After 10 years I have finally moved off my 1400x1050 Tecra M5. Before that I had a 1400x1050 Tecra 8200 too. It was the perfect screen resolution for a laptop. However today it would need to be 2800x2100 to get me to give up my 3:2 3000x2000 Surface Book. If it it's not "retina" it's not worth making a fuss over.

4. collinsl Bronze badge

T420s/T410s are still pretty cheap on eBay, and are still going strong components wise.

Plus, with modern SSDs etc they will run at roughly the same speed as anything new for 90% of tasks.

3. DJ Smiley

I've got one of these at home I think. I was given it as a 'gift' from a old boss when I left (it was my work laptop and he left me keep it). I installed gentoo on it a few months ago, and it's still as nippy and useful as ever.

The one thing that works really well for me, is the fact there's a 'forward facing' bevel on the edge of the screen when it's raised, this means when it's closed, it actually protects from dust/dirt/paper from sliding in between the screen and keyboard causing mess. Odd reason to like it I know, but it just makes it feel more like someone actually thought about what they were designing with this,

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

I've seen one engineer on Youtube who got it purely for the extended battery. No, not for the extended charge/use, but as it acts as a small grip to hold it in one hand! :D

2. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: I've got one of these at my pad I think

FTFY

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"It may be harder to reintroduce the 16:10 aspect ratio display as the industry now produces 16:9 more appropriate to watching movies [...]"

16:10 allows you to see the 16:9 movie while playback controls are placed below it. I hate it when a subtitle or something else at the bottom of the screen is obscured by a time delayed auto-pop-up control panel.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

16:10 allows you to see the 16:9 movie while playback controls are placed below it. I hate it when a subtitle or something else at the bottom of the screen is obscured by a time delayed auto-pop-up control panel.

That's why most movies are filmed in ~ 21.5:9.

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

Since 16:9 became ubiquitous on laptops, tablet adoption had risen. Perhaps now that many people use a tablet to watch movies away from home (which are usually more comfortable to view anyway, especially on trains or in hotel beds), laptops can revert to 16:10 or 4:3?

Also, Apple and Microsoft can source screens of the aspect ratio they want, so surely Lenovo can too?

3. Gotno iShit Wantno iShit

@AC

I don't give a toss what happens in the incredibly rare event I watch a movie on my business laptop. If I was buying a DVD player, electric babysitter for the kids I don't have or some other frivolity then DVD watching performance may enter the purchasing criteria list. But for a business laptop?

Gah! When I rule the world tech company product managers will be first against the wall! (After the lawyers and accountants obviously)

If it is 16:10 or 4:3 with >1080 vertical I'll take two and the second is simply a spare.

4. Dave K

My main laptop is an X201 - primarily as it was one of the last 16:10 laptops Lenovo made, but does at least have a Core i5, and takes DDR3 RAM and an SSD (and so still runs modern stuff absolutely fine).

I'm honestly fine with 16:10 or 3:2, but 16:9 is awful. It doesn't help that laptops with 16:9 screens either have fat top/bottom bezels to try and cope with the fact that the screen is simply the wrong size for the chassis of the laptop. Oddly enough, I'd rather have more screen than a fat piece of plastic.

At both work and home, my screen setup is a 16:10 main monitor (1920x1200) with a pair of 20" 1600x1200 4:3 monitors. Plenty of screen space for lots of apps open at the same time, sufficient vertical space and resolution, and not so ridiculously wide that I get a sore neck from looking too far to the left/right all the time.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"German" and "QWERTY" sets up a dissonance in my mind. No doubt they will produce them with various national keyboard layouts.

1. Michael Habel

QWERTZ < QWERTY

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RIP ThinkPad

7. VinceH
    Meh

Shame it'll be let down by the operating system they'll almost certainly include with it.

1. Little Mouse

Not-so-fond memories of shoehorning MSDOS & Windows onto my boss's Thinkpad, with only an OS2 (Warp?) driver disk and no internet to speak of.

I think I'll give this particular bit of nostalgia a miss, thanks.

2. dajames

Shame it'll be let down by the operating system they'll almost certainly include with it.

Windows 98?

... or you can always install Slackware 3.4 to keep that authentic 25-year-old feel, or maybe Debian 2.0 (Hamm).

1. Missing Semicolon Silver badge

drivers

As long as there's w7 drivers for it, we're golden!

3. Dave 126 Silver badge

My first Linux install was on an old Thinkpad, but it took some effort to get the audio to work. Something to do with a non-standard IBM hardware, so the thingamajiggy had to be started before the ASIO doowhatsit. Rewarding, but a bugger largely because my friend and I were learning this SUDO malarkey on the fly.

1. Allonymous Coward
        Coat

> learning this SUDO malarkey on the fly

I think I see where you went wrong. Case sensitivity, innit.

Okay, okay, I'll find my own way out...

8. Sgt_Oddball
    Mushroom

if only...

I've got a trusty x200t at home for graphics drawing and I'd actually consider replacing it if they did an x2xxt version of this. I've also got a t440 work machine and by comparison I hate it with a passion. Especially the track pad which has a special place reserved in hell for who came up with the idea of having the whole damn trackpad move when you click it (because the cursor moves slightly in a rage inducing manner).

1. Allonymous Coward

Re: if only...

Those T440 trackpads suck so badly. They went back to the old design for the 450, I believe.

1. Sgt_Oddball

They did which is also why mine is relegated to timesheet duties and not much else.

2. Dave K

Yep, one of my work laptops is a T440 and the trackpad is just dreadful. It's impossible to use without a mouse essentially. To be honest, a lot of Lenovo trackpads have been pretty dire. There were previously the dimpled ones that felt cheap, nasty and had a similar cringing effect on me to dragging a nail across a blackboard.

My other work laptop is a Dell E5470 and I honestly applaud Dell for sticking with the traditional buttons at the bottom as it's a pleasure to use in comparison.

9. David Robinson 1

Shut up and take my money!

N/t.

10. PhilipJ

16:10? I want my freaking 4:3 - I'm working on it, not watching damn movies.

11. Joe Harrison

Lappy

What is it with "Lappy"? It's hardly much of an abbreviation as it only saves one letter. "Addy" saves three letters but somehow even more annoying. Although even so not quite as annoying as people who insist on"firing up" notepad...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Lappy

The term "mobe", and by association lappy etc, was officially banned by ElReg some time ago after what could be termed a "referrendum" - but then a couple of years later in a blatant disregard of the "will of the people" they were reinstated so I expect they now get used as often as possible as a way of thumbing their noses at the "electorate"

2. Loud Speaker

Re: Lappy

I have to say "firing" is the only rational thing to do with Notepad.

12. Christian Berger

Those displays are custom made anyhow

So having a different aspect ratio shouldn't be a problem. I for one would like to have a communicator shaped one with a 800x240 or something display.

13. Steve Evans

Oooh...

Non Chiclet keyboard - Yay!

Nipple - Yay!

I wonder if it has a thinklight?

Oh please have a thinklight... and a screen with a good colour gamut...

1. fobobob

Looks less fancy, and probably prevents them from making the thin/flat bezels that seem to be in voge, but being able to see your own hands while typing is huge. Also serves as a reasonably effective reading light in a pinch, or an additional doohickey to control via scripts. Backlit keyboards are.. okay, I guess, but they're a one-trick pony. Combining the two might seem redundant, but backlighting the keyboard would help overcome some of the glare that is unavoidable with thinklight (especially after all the keycaps are worn down to shiny dents). This is all making me miss my T60, quite a bit actually.

2. Roland6 Silver badge

>and a screen with a good colour gamut...

and a matte screen with the viewing angles of the original screens - for working in environments where light is problemmatic, a matte screen wins out everytime. Perhaps it might even be usable outdoors...

So what photo colours aren't quite as sharp and vivid, it's a workhorse typically used for business documents that will typically be printed on a monochrome laser printer...

14. AJ MacLeod

I hope I'm mistaken in thinking that's a Fn button on the bottom left where Ctrl ought to be... I wouldn't buy a laptop with the Ctrl key anywhere else, it's incredibly frustrating.

Those awful HPs with a full line of pointless extra keys down the left hand side are probably the worst offenders in history... thankfully they've nearly all cooked themselves to death by now!

1. Flicker

Typing this on my (refurb) X220, best laptop ever made. Good IPS screen, lovely keyboard, near indestructable. Best thing is that you can repair / replace / upgrade pretty much everything, as if iFixit had designed the ideal laptop. You can swap the function of the Fn & left Ctrl keys in the BIOS (though sadly not the keycaps). Confuses the hell out of anyone else trying to use the machine but works for me. Just hope that Lenovo retain the repairability on this new version - until proven I'm hanging onto my X220.

http://x220.mcdonnelltech.com/resources/

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
        Thumb Up

@Flicker

Typing this on my (refurb) X220, best laptop ever made.

ditto

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

and remember that the X220 with a ugc bios

and a cheap 802.11ac wi-fi card can pretend (very well) to be a fruit, with rounded corners, a h*cked McIntosh , as it were (as well as further booting optionally Mint, & Win7 & Win10) helps that the m-SATA slot can take half-a-gig SSD's.

1. Flicker

Re: and remember that the X220 with a ugc bios

This is the place I bought my X220 a year ago - not clear whether their current stock has the (much better) IPS screen or a TN LCD, but still good value. No connection with the company other than as a happy customer. May also be worth checking that they have a UK keyboard - as with most things on traditional Thinkpads the keyboard can be swapped out, but worth getting right first time.

Hope this fits OK within ElReg posting guidelines??

http://microdream.co.uk/laptops-and-netbooks/lenovo-thinkpad-x220-12-5-1366x768-2nd-gen-core-i5-2520m-2-5ghz-4gb-250gb-webcam-windows-10-professional-64-bit.html#.Wa1z8diQzIU

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Re: and remember that the X220 with a ugc bios

sadly, the linked x220 is the lower spec (slower processer, poorer screen, no usb 3 port).

all that said, I'm disappointed with my x220 keyboard. It bends.

2. IkerDeEchaniz

x230 with x220 keyboard better than the x220

Even better, the x230 with the x220 keyboard and the EC mod for the old keyboard. The battery lasts much longer and it has USB3. It also came with a very slim battery (I usually use he 4 cell one but the 6 cell one on the x230 lasts as much as the 9 cell one on the x220.)

3. SAdams

Yes I prefer the X models, although the X240 was a disaster, quickly fixed with the X250 onwards...

2. Archaon

My company used to use a small fleet of HP 625 laptops, so during my first week for training (numerous years ago). It had that 'feature' of hotkeys down the left hand side and had to try and use it for a week. More recently nabbed one of the survivors for testing something and I wanted to burn it.

3. joeW

Re: "Fn button on the bottom left where Ctrl ought to be"

Incredibly frustrating indeed. A work laptop I was issued some years ago suffered from this design flaw and I ended up popping the "Fn" key off entirely. I use "Ctrl" quite a lot and the "Fn" key maybe once or twice a day - the absense of a key helped me to retrain my left pinky quite quickly, and on the few occasions I needed the "Fn" I'd just poke down the little switch thing with the end of a pen.

4. collinsl Bronze badge

IBM/Lenovo put the FN key where it's supposed to be, on the outside edge.

It's not their fault every other laptop manufacturer gets it wrong...

5. fobobob

I'm stuck in the opposite, I grew up with ThinkPads, and their extra functions (sound, radio control, backlight control, etc.) were so often used that I grew to accept fn as the appropriate bottom-left key on a laptop keyboard.

15. molletts

I shall reserve judgement...

... until I can get my hands on one, as to whether it is truly a worthy bearer of the ThinkPad name.

My first ThinkPad (a 240 with a PII Celeron [Mendocino] CPU and 192MB RAM) still works although I struggle to find a use for it these days. (I don't recall it being anywhere near as slow back in 2000 and yet I was doing basically the same things on it back then as I need to do today.)

I still use my X40 (Pentium M 1200, 1.5GB) from time to time, though. It's quick enough for doing network diagnostics and other not-too-demanding tasks - or playing UT Classic when I'm bored! It's survived being pulled off of desks by wayward children several times over the last 13 years.

Both have run Linux from day 1.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I shall reserve judgement...

It probably wasn't as slow back in 2000 as it is today because with today's *nixes, there's a ton more stuff running. Back in 2000 you could run a ps ax and the _entire output_ would fit on one screen. Good luck with that today (unless you switch horses to OpenBSD, say).

16. AndrueC Silver badge
    Unhappy

The thing I miss most with modern laptops is the lack of dedicated mouse buttons. I've had my current lappy for nearly a year now and I'm still struggling with the stupid touch pad. It mainly just ignores some 'clicks' but occasionally for fits and giggles it will generate a spurious one. To say nothing of the hit and miss right clicking :-/

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge

I find the clit-mouse much more usable than touchpads.

Oops sorry, it's just been pointed out to me that TrackPoint pointer is a more politically acceptable term.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

clit-mouse

I agree but no man can find it.

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Re: clit-mouse

I agree but no man can find it.

Now there's an idea, a mouse in the style of the original Burroughs Steely Dan ... men would be able to find that!

1. Stoneshop

Burroughs Steely Dan

What does it mean that my first association with the name "Burroughs" is the computer manufacturer, not the writer?

1. duncangareth

Re: Burroughs Steely Dan

Ha ha, we must be getting old. I had these ridiculous thoughts of COBOL-driven robotic devices.

2. Tom 38

My latest work dell (Latitude E7470) has a clit mouse and 3 mouse buttons above the trackpad and 2 mouse buttons below the trackpad. Keyboard is still rubbish for vim users though, the escape key is the size of a microdot.

1. AndrueC Silver badge
        Unhappy

What complicates my quest for the right lappy is that my ageing eyes also need the largest possible screen. The Acer I bought has a 17.3" screen. Last I looked the only lappys that size that had discrete buttons were gaming machines selling for thousands of pounds. I only want something to surf the web and read emails :-/

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: The Acer I bought has a 17.3" screen. Last I looked the only lappys that size that had discrete buttons were gaming machines selling for thousands of pounds.

Look in the business machines section - recently I purchased a couple of 17.3" HP's with 7th generation i5's etc. for under £1,400 (the base system was sub £1,000 but bag, care cover etc. increased the price...)

I went for the i5 as benchmarks indicated it had a similar performance level to the i7 variant the client had originally specified, just without the price premium - so I was able to add in an SSD and additional memory and still have change...

3. Dave K

Check out the Dell Latitudes. Keyboards are a bit hit and miss, but they've largely stuck with proper buttons on the trackpad - which is a good thing!

17. Unicornpiss
    Pint

Wow, a company that listened to its customers?

..and gave them what they were asking for? How is such a thing possible?

Was that distant echo I heard Microsoft spinning in its grave in a not too distant future?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Wow, a company that listened to its customers?

Are you trying to imply that not everyone wants a micro-thin enormo-slab mobile that crumples as soon as they put it in their trouser pocket, and that no-one wants a small, fat, sturdy one, that lasts as long as the phones of old ?

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

Windows 10 with Lenovo bloatware and spyware... are you sure they've listened?

1. Stoneshop

Windows 10 with Lenovo bloatware and spyware...

The hardware and the form factor* is what you buy a particular laptop for.

* would prefer an X variant, TYVM.

18. td0s

Will it have...

Blowfish pre installed?

19. Tronald Dump

I recently bought a Thinkpad P50

I am well impressed.

20. John Sanders
    Linux

YES!

YES!

21. Fred Dibnah

Screen?

Matte please. Shiny screens are hopeless for anything other than watching videos.

When my T520 dies I might like one of these.They can stick any old OS on it, I'll be ready with my freshly Minted USB stick.

1. PNGuinn
      Happy

Matte please

Essential.

A matt screen is still essential on a carefully positioned desktop setup. There's always a couple of bastard reflections somewhere in any room, especially if it's got one of those essential thinigies called windows*, preferably the opening kind.

A laptop may be used anywhere, the location's almost by definition going to be sub optimal - so why the systemd do the flaming things almost always come with shiny screens???

RANT - RAGE - SPLUTTER ....

* That's the only kind of windows allowed anywhere near my machines - I presume this'll run Linux / BSD without having to jump through hoops?

22. MrRimmerSIR!

If you're going to make an anniversary thinkpad

Mine will be a 701C (butterfly), please.

1. Stoneshop

Re: If you're going to make an anniversary thinkpad

In my Impressive Pile of ThinkPads* there is one Butterfly with a b0rked mainboard. I've been toying with the idea of turning it into a Butterfleee, although a ButterPi looks to be the direction I'll be taking now.

Including a TransNote, but the Pile could still gain some Impressiveness.

23. Wily Veteran
    Happy

T400/C840

I recently went through the agony of deciding whether to replace my aged ThinkPad T400 with a new laptop or simply replace the worn keyboard with the erratic spacebare and pop in an SSD (even though it has only SATAII interface). I decided keeping the relatively nice keyboard (no chiclets), 1440x900 display, and more than sufficient performance for what I do these days (writing novels with LibreOffice Writer, not code these days though I've spent 50+ years doing the latter) for $150 in easily-done repairs/upgrades beat the crap out of spending $800+ for something that, although newer and having a FHD screen). The Core2 Duo P8600 is plenty fast enough, Linux Mint 18.2 gains performance over Win 7 on a second SSD in the Slim Bay, lets me play casual HOPA games on the Win7 disc, and works just great for the casual web browsing I do. 802n may not be the fastest WiFi around but since my broadband connection is much slower anyway, who cares how fast the last link in the network chain is? A 3rd-party battery gives me 6+hours of battery life too. So it's not fashionably slim and light, WGAF?

I also have an old Dell C840 with a P4M and a very fine 1600x1200 large screen. Yes, it's slow, but it runs Libre Office writer very smoothly (once loaded) and is limited as much by a broken memory slot that only lets me use 512MB as by its speed.

If I could have the C840's screen on my ThinkPad, I'd be in hog heaven.

1. Updraft102

Re: T400/C840

"I recently went through the agony of deciding whether to replace my aged ThinkPad T400 with a new laptop or simply replace the worn keyboard with the erratic spacebare and pop in an SSD (even though it has only SATAII interface)."

At first I thought the same way for my Asus laptop of similar vintage as your Thinkpad, so I bought a WD Black rust spinner for it instead of a SSD when its Seagate bit the dust. I soon regretted that, though, once I learned a bit more about SSDs and realized how relatively unimportant the maximum sequential read/write really was. I now have a Samsung 850 Evo SSD in there, and it's a really massive improvement even with SATA 2, as you already know, having done so yourself. I had the WD Black HDD back in there for a test, and it was so ponderous and slow that it felt like there was something wrong with it (but there wasn't). The difference going back from a SSD to a HDD is to me much more noticeable than going from the HDD to the SSD was, which seems kind of weird to me.

While the SATA2 interface tops out at only 250-300MB/s in sequential reads, it's still more than quick enough to allow the SSD to really shine in comparison with a HDD for the much more typical usage pattern that involves lots of short reads and random seeks. On a synthetic benchmark, the random 4k read stats are much more important, and are likely to give an improvement of at least one order of magnitude over the hard drive. The Samsung SSDs have some of the best numbers as far as 4k random reads; that and the built-in full drive encryption of the 850 were the reasons I picked that model.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Or you could get a second hand one without operating system on ebay, stick an ssd with linux in it and have a fast system for peanuts as I did.

1. keithpeter Silver badge
      Windows

New screens...

"Or you could get a second hand one without operating system on ebay, stick an ssd with linux in it and have a fast system for peanuts as I did."

I have done this for getting on for a decade now starting with a T42. Now an X220.

I am tempted by this new retro Thinkpad. Strictly speaking I have no need for the extra computing power, but a new bright screen with higher resolution is of interest. Battery life above 10 hours would be magic as well.

Mind you, if some enterprising Szechuan company did drop-in replacement screen/inverter/cable packages I'd be first in the queue!

PS: lets hear it for the venerable X60. Just the right form factor.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If it ain't broke... break it and tell everyone it's fixed.

I miss the days where you could get a Windows install CD included with your purchase.

A "Recovery xyz" automatic installs all that OEM crapware... maybe they can go retro on that too.

If I want spyware on my machine, I can install it myself.

- I agree on that "stupid touchpad" comment. My IPad touchscreen works great, so why do they ship crappy touchpads with laptops? It's obviously possible to make one that works...

1. ChrisBedford

touchpads, pfft

so why do they ship crappy touchpads with laptops? It's obviously possible to make one that works

IBM came up with that *HUGELY* inferior pointing-stick-thingy that looks like a pencil eraser in the middle of the keyboard - what in the blue blazes were they thinking?!?

1. collinsl Bronze badge

Re: touchpads, pfft

You mean the massively more accurate and user-friendly device which I use in preference to anything else on laptops which have it, even on Dell machines where it's got an inferior cap on it?

26. ecofeco Silver badge

Sorry, keyboard fail

I like keyboards with actual spaces between the keys. This does not have that.

1. collinsl Bronze badge

Re: Sorry, keyboard fail

Then you may buy anything in the Lenovo line with chiclet keyboards, and regret the decision

2. Dave K

Re: Sorry, keyboard fail

If you like the chiclet keyboards, you've got about a thousand different laptop models to choose from. However, plenty of people (myself included) prefer the classic style of keyboard, so this isn't a keyboard fail, it's simply a product aimed at someone that isn't you.

27. Grandpa Tom

Thinkpad BIOS

I have an old E545 (I'm typing on just now) and I find it a decent laptop *except* that they whitelist the components and don't allow upgrade for things that just need improvement.

My machine needs the improved WiFi (ac compatible). I bought an Intel card and installed it but the BIOS detected the card and refused to boot. Told me to remove the card and reboot.

Not acceptable. If I want to make changes to my machine the supplier should not prevent that.

Tried to find a revised BIOS but no joy.

<bleah>

1. Updraft102

Re: Thinkpad BIOS

> Tried to find a revised BIOS but no joy.

I had a similar problem with the other major marque of laptop that does wifi card whitelisting... HP. I wanted to improve the wifi, but as soon as I put in the new card, it refused to boot.

The answer for me was to find the PCI ID string for the old card in the firmware image and use a hex editor to replace that with the ID of the new card. Worked perfectly. As long as the relevant bit in the firmware image is not encrypted or compressed, the string should be there.

Be careful if you choose to do this; there is always risk when messing with firmware images.

28. ChrisBedford

Reactionaries everywhere

Of all the *NOTEBOOK* computers ("laptop" is an old term that vendors haven't used for 25 years) ever released, the IBM Thinkpads that this model emulates is probably the ugliest. All sharp corners and that rubbery stuff only looks good for the first 3 minutes after you take it out of the box.

Also (in South Africa anyway) Lenovo's after-sales service is probably the worst I have ever encountered so even less incentive to buy one of these horrid things.

1. collinsl Bronze badge

Re: Reactionaries everywhere

Indestructible

Good looking

Decent hardware

Pick 2 of the above. Personally, I'd go with the top and bottom.

2. keithpeter Silver badge
      Windows

Re: Reactionaries everywhere

@ ChrisBedford

Objectively speaking, I like to think I'm fairly progressive.

Still a strong preference for electronics that can be upgraded and that can be tossed into a rucksack &c. Capitalism being the lowest form of socialism we have to grasp our advantages when they are offered.

Each to his own.

29. Miss Lincolnshire

As long as

....it's a better repro than the ZX Spectrum

Bag of nails and the keypad, now I'm used to a modern one, unusable

30. snellasaurus

Indestructible

My T520 (that I saved from the 'skip') 2 years ago does great service for my daughter as a homework machine - I know it is way too good for this but at least it is getting used and is too heavy for travels.

My wife recently tested it by dropping it from the top of the stairs...it bounced, punched a hole in the stud wall and got to the bottom intact. The keyboard 'tray' had popped out but clicked back in easily enough - other than that no damage. I would not fancy doing that with the plastic fantastic T460 I am writing this on.

31. 0laf

Squarish matt screen.

No chiclet keyboard (how I hate chiclets)

Tough.

I could be sorely tempted. But I'm sure some marketing wonk will step in and fuck it up.

Our last set of Lenovo laptops were egonomically shite. Awful chiclet keyboards, 16:9 screen, and possibly the worst trackpad I've ever had the displeasure of using. Even worse than the trackball on a 486 Win3.1 laptops I had.

32. andy 28

PgUp PgDn

Are the keys either side of the cursor up (with logos that look bit like the electric window switches in the car) PgUp and Down? I bought a thinkpad usb keyboard to use with crappy work laptop purely because it had dedicated page up and down (and didn't fill my entire desk). None of this Fn+other key bollocks for oft used keys. Shame if they got rid of them.

1. Flicker

Re: PgUp PgDn

If they've really kept the old 7-row Thinkpad layout then those keys are Page Backwards / Page Forwards (works as Back / Fwd in most browsers) and there are dedicated PgUp / PgDn keys at the top right, next to dedicated Home / End. The Fn modifiers for the Home / End increase / decrease LCD backlight brightness.

2. collinsl Bronze badge

Re: PgUp PgDn

They are the old "page back" (left) and "page forwards" buttons - on the old style keyboards page up and down are buttons on the top right near insert and home.

Here's an original X220 keyboard for comparison:

http://blog.gosabe.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/x220_keyboard_top.jpg

33. Krack73

Lenovo T410

My T410 still runs well without any problems. Installed an ssd drive along with 8 gb of ram. Had it from day 1 and everything still works. Even all the indicators lights.

34. John Sturdy
    Flame

It's still a Lenovo

I stopped trusting them from the Superfish incident, and no good characteristics of the hardware will override that.

35. Kristaps

Great laptops!

I still have a T440 going. Bought it in 2009 and now am running Linux Mint on it. It's getting a bit slow and the battery is dead, but it works!

1. gsf333

Re: Great laptops!

I thought the T440's came out in mid 2013. The company I worked for was giving out T440p's in 2014.

1. Kristaps
        FAIL

Re: Great laptops!

Typo. I meant T400. Cheers

36. DagD

easy access hard drive??? Plz, plz plz!!!!

of course the legacy touchpad is a must.

37. bdg2

My T430 isn't that different from a T420 and it's still my main laptop.

Plus I actually like and occasionally make use of the back lit keyboard to type in low light conditions.

38. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

3:2

If Microsoft can make the entire surface lineup 3:2 (they are all have different screens too, btw), I don't see why Lenovo can't make even 1 laptop in that aspect ratio or better. If they make another 16:9 junk, I am j going to get a mac instead.

39. Flubb

I don't really need a newer ThinkPad than my X201 and T400, in fact I still use the X61s at times for the 4:3 screen and very light weight. Still, I may well be unable to resist this one unless it has a 16:9 screen. That would be unacceptable and deter me from making the leap.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like