back to article Net neutrality comments close: Let the BS begin!

The latest comment period on the effort to kill off America's net neutrality rules has closed – and the circus has officially reopened for business. A staggering 21.8 million missives have been sent to FCC on the subject – a number so large that it has pretty much allowed anyone and everyone to claim that their point of view …

1. Oh Homer
    Terminator

Framing the argument and loading the question

Dear survey participant, we in the Global Corporatocracy want to be the gatekeepers to our the Internet®, as part of our larger ambitions to monopolise every last speck of dust on this planet, so we would greatly appreciate your views on the current Threat® to National Security called "Net Neutrality", and what we can all do to stop it.

How strongly do you agree with the following statement?

I am happy to pay forty times the current rate for an Internet service that guarantees that I will receive an equally slow connection from every website and cloud service, in order to uphold some unpatriotic ideological principle favoured by communist terrorists.
    • I very strongly agree that the above is a statement
    • I strongly agree that this is an important statement
    • I don't disagree that the statement is strongly agreeable
    • I agree to make strong statements
    • I am strongly in favour of making agreements
    Thank you for your participation. With your help we should be able to retrieve your money that was stolen by communist Net Neutrality terrorists and return it to its rightful owners, to further fund our ongoing efforts to ensure that you will always have a high speed internet connection directly to our paywall.

Love,

The Global Corporatocracy Umbrella Corporation.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Framing the argument and loading the question

Your entire spiel would be moot if this issue were moved to Congress where it belongs. Then the voters might actually have a tiny say, unlike now. Anyway, who decided this would all be handled by the FCC?! Oh right, Obama, and a gutless Congress that sits on its hands.

Hrmmmm, maybe Trump will take an interest? Would THAT get those expensive congressional seat-warmers off their expansive cakes?

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Re: Framing the argument and loading the question

Hrmmmm, maybe Trump will take an interest?

If he does, you can be sure that it'll be confused, incoherent and will change depending on who shouted at him last.

Oh - and the final judgement will depend on who has the most money to offer.

2. Christian Berger

Maybe we should regulate it like the power grid

There you have central monitoring stations which check that there always is n+1 redundancy. So essentially at the central operations centres, a computer will compute that every 5 minutes. So any component can fail which shifts the traffic, however no component gets overloaded that way.

So essentially ISPs would have to keep load logs and certify that no compoent gets more than the load it can handle without degradation. (i.e. getting much more jitter or latency) That way ISPs must continuously upgrade their networks to keep up with demand.

3. Potemkine! Silver badge

"FCC will do whatever it wants anyway"

What an utter lie! FCC won't do what it wants, it will do what cable companies want.

4. Earth Resident

Hit 'em where it hurts

For a long time, I have advocated an Internet-free Christmas gift season if net neutrality is repealed. If they want to kill the Internet, hit the retailers. In addition, people who want to gift during the holidays can shop at local brick-and-mortar establishments, helping their local economy.

It's a win-win and it sends a strong message.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm taking my ball and going home

If it runs over my wires, I have every right to throttle you to make room for my liberal buddies who help program you crazy sheeple.

now go suck up to your google overlords and spam those nazi conservatives who oddly,, seem to support the jews more than us liberals who throw the nazi term around.. i'm confused. i'll just leave the whole thing alone and go to a nice parade with rainbows,, cept another hurricane went and ruined that plan.. again.. first katrina and now harvey... dagnabit..

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm taking my ball and going home

And I have every right to go somewhere else.

Oh, by the way, I own the water and electricity. Can you pay me twice please, once for leaving my depot street and once for entering your home. Oh, those two are necessities? I'll not charge double, I will though charge triple for all your TV, as I own all the companies. All your Phone lines and mobiles. Oh, you suddenly want to shop elsewhere, competitive price, what is that? I think they have a nice deal in Zimbabwe, I don't own that one phone company over there.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like