back to article LG teases us with svelte V30 but refuses to say if it's coming to Blighty

LG today duly unveiled the strongest contender this year to swipe Samsung's Android crown – but still won't say if it's committed to releasing the phone in the UK. To date, LG has not brought the first two generations of V series high-end devices to Blighty, but after two lacklustre G series flagships, it needs to stay visible …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dual SIM ? Memory expansion ?

just wondering ....

1. Aladdin Sane

Re: Dual SIM ? Memory expansion ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LG_V30

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Dual SIM V20s are available for around £300 according to Google, though I can't personally vouch for the retailers. The V20 isn't waterproof but does have a swappable battery.

2. Alan Edwards

GSM Arena (http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_v30-8712.php) tells you more...

There is (will be?) a dual-SIM version, and it has a dedicated Micro-SD slot.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Who needs a dual SIM when you've got a quad DAC. The 1980's wants your quadrophonic surround sound system back.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Look nice..

Beats the Note 8 in my opion.. but I'm holding out to import a Xiaomi Mi Mix 2. A phone with 6.4" screen in a chassis no large that Nexus 6p, also comes with a huge ass battery which does actually last for 2 days (I've currently got a Mi Max, which I can run Satnav for 10 hours solid and still have 30" battery left)..

1. Fuzz

30"

"I can run Satnav for 10 hours solid and still have 30" battery left).."

Is that 30 inches or 30 seconds?

1. K
        Pint

Re: 30"

I tip my hat to you sir, have a beer... that was meant to be 30% battery left.

3. LewisRage

They've ditched the removable battery, LG were the last bastion of this convenience I think and they've finally succumbed.

I'm gonna have to pick up an armful of older v20s and eek them out for years to come :/

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'm gonna have to pick up an armful of older v20s and eek them out for years to come :/

I've finally come to terms with my "non-removeable battery rage", and accepted that they've gone, and they aren't coming back. However, when you start HAVING to think that a phone is a two-or-three year life product, it raises the question of why anybody would pay £450-£700 for upper mid range and flagship products. With few makers supporting devices older than two years anyway, thinking of keeping a phone longer than that starts to add extra risks, and you've got all the wear and tear that a well used phone is subject to. I hate to admit it, but maybe the makers were right to abandon user-replaceable batteries.

Because of this, I've just traded out of a decade of Samsung loyalty, and like the commentard above, bought a Xiaomi. Mine's a Redmi Note 4X, and for £150 I'm absolutely delighted. Sure, its not an S8 or iPhone 7 in every detail, but it's looks and feels impressive, an easy match in my book for last year's flagships in terms of the user experience, but YMMV. It's running Android 7, but if there's no updates ever, well, it was £150. If stolen or lost, well, it was £150. And in many ways, its nice having a "minority interest" phone, although that's only true in Europe, since Xiaomi are one of the top four phone brands in China.

Returning to the V30, its interesting to note that LG are trying to differentiate themselves on audio quality and optics. Exactly like the new Nokia brand devices. Sony are likely to do something similar if they haven't already - and suddenly those USPs lose their uniqueness. And with an estimated list price tag of €900, the V30 is just another high spec, short lived device with a (UK street) price likely to be around £700. I want good value, and spending the price of a useable second hand car on a phone....well, I can't do it.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shape of things to come

Now that we are leaving the EU, more and more companies will find that importing 'stuff' into Blighty will be too much of a faff and decide to pass on it.

Now where are those home grown phones etc?

At least malaise that hasn't infected Samsung yet. Getting an S8 next week.

Make Blighty Great!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Shape of things to come

"Getting an S8 next week."

You think blowing £550 on a phone will save the British economy? At that price I'd want it to wipe and wash my arse, make the bed, and do 0-60 in five seconds.

Actually, it probably will do the 0-60 bit, but only as it is snatched by moped riding ratboys.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Still not enough for me, I'd expect the alarm clock to come with extensive wake up options, including sucking off, making coffee and calling the boss telling him I'm ill. (I'm sure you can purchase add-on somewhere online for the first couple!).

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I'm sure you can purchase add-on somewhere online for the first couple!

Not for the V30. It was last year's LG G5 that allowed for modular add ons. My attempt to crowdfund a mobile sucker-off was successful, but I absconded with the money, so you won't be seeing one of those anytime soon.

5. Stuart Clark 2

It's on LG's UK website, so that's a pretty good indication it is :)

6. Mage Silver badge

Interesting

The main value though of 96 kHz recording is that expensive antialiasing filters aren't needed. There is no need at all to store the processed audio at more than 40KHz sample rate, so the regular 48KHz is fine.

I wish my laptop had that screen resolution, or indeed ANYTHING more than 1080 vertical.

"Key European markets"

Looks like UK is "crashing" out of those. Still, Amazon.de has an English language option. It translates well too. Useful already for people in Ireland as unlike UK, Ireland uses the Euro. The Amazon.ie still redirects to the Amazon.co.uk site.

7. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Coat

"LG can't tell us whether the UK is one of them. "Although this might change," "

I'm sure it will by 2019.

So £x100 for a phone. Battery fails, you're f**ked.

Why exactly would I bother?

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: So £x100 for a phone. Battery fails, you're f**ked.

don't worry, getting it changed won't cost anywhere near as much as it will those Apple Fanbois/sheeple when their precious iPhone needs a battery change.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

when their precious iPhone needs a battery change

Real Apple fans won't keep the phone long enough to need to change the battery.

1. K

Brilliant! Made me laugh which wrapped up my work day... (must admit I thought it was friday) :(

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The iPhone 8 will render this irrelevant...

^ this.

1. Triggerfish

Re: The iPhone 8 will render this irrelevant...

And only for a mere doubling of the purchase price.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The V30 is a Carphone Whorehouse "Exclusive" - although they fail to mention that only covers carriers, so you can buy it from LG UK's site, Amazon and any number of SIM-free UK based sellers.

Also since the demise of tri-band, quad-band etc and the wonderful world of international shipping it seems less relevant what countries something is available in. If I can buy a SuperHappy DongJoy XLR40040 Turbo vFast 4G 6" Phablet for £89 from Gearbest and it works in the UK, then I'm pretty sure an LG will. I've sometimes checked the bands and frequencies these cheap devices work on and it covers seemingly all bases in the UK - or am I missing something?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I've sometimes checked the bands and frequencies these cheap devices work on and it covers seemingly all bases in the UK - or am I missing something?

If you're buying a grey import, then you're taking a small risk. My new grey import phablet works fine including 4G, although apparently if you buy the wrong version you might find your device doesn't supprt UK 4G/LTE bands (good article by Techadvisor on how to tell if your phone will work with UK 4G), so I'd say do your research, make sure you can find a credible review of the device, buy carefully. Be aware that for these items headphones are not often supplied, and the supplied charger may not be a UK spec item - you might get the "luxury" of a cheapo UK adaptor. I think I'm making it sound riskier and more complicated than it is, BTW.

You mention £89 - if you make sure the purchase is for over £100, pay with credit card, and then you could claim the money back from the card provider under section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act (in the event of problems and the vendor won't help).

With many Gearbest items, some are UK warehoused, most aren't, but there's also some small time bulk importers who resell the same items within the UK often via Ebay. That means you pay a slightly higher price, but the phone is despatched to you from the UK (so quicker), the transaction is covered by UK consumer law, the Ebay guarantees may be easier to enforce, and also you won't have to factor in the probable import duties when buying from a non-EU vendor. Some of the Ebay traders will also do the UK setup of the device, which is a small but pleasant convenience.

All in, go for it. If you haven't dabbled in this market and buy wisely, there's some interesting, good value and decent quality kit that makes you wonder why the Western markets are so obsessed by Apple, Samsung (and the Sonys, HTCs, LGs of this world).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like