back to article China claims to have turbine-powered drone carrying 200kg payload

China has claimed it is developing a gas turbine-powered long-range delivery drone that can carry loads of up to 200kg. The Xinhua news agency, which in its English-language form is little better than a propaganda website along the lines of Russia Today, claims that Chinese online retailer JD.com has created a drone with a " …

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

The power of advertsising

1939 Germany announced it has a 2000kg rocket powered drone capable of making daily deliveries to London.

The home secretary expressed concern about the security implications and has sent a list of strategic targets in London to a Mr Von Braun to be excluded from the delivery route

1. ArrZarr Silver badge
      Black Helicopters

Re: The power of advertsising

I really hope you're joking but the fact that I'm not sure speaks volumes about the competency we all attribute to the govt.

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Von Braun: "I aim at the stars, but sometimes I hit London."

2. 's water music
      Coat

You too may be a big hero,

Once you've learned to count backwards to zero.

"in german or in english I know how to count down,

And I'm learning Chinese," says wernher von braun.

my emphasis

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"the Royal Navy's PR about how its warships' radars can track improbable numbers of cricket balls doing improbable things, like travelling at Mach 3"

Being able to track them, and being able to stop them, are two entirely different problems.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Being able to track them, and being able to stop them

The ships will be fitted with the new Boycott cricket ball defense system

2. Gene Cash Silver badge

> Being able to track them

Well then you're doing a hell of a lot better than our navy! We can't even see a 300ft tanker! Twice!

1. drone2903 in Kanuckistant

That's your problem right there...

the ACX Crystal is 223 metres.... (731ft, or 243 yards) - USS Fitzgerald incident

the Alnic MC is 180 metres (600 ft, or 200 yards) - USS John S. McCain incident.

That 300ft must be coming from the same radar...

Sorry, could not resist, but it is beyond comprehension this class of warship can not see a container ship, at least twice it's size, on a collision course.

Thoughts and prayers with the families.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: That's your problem right there...

The comments on other forums suggest that in today's Process+Powerpoint+Public-relation led Navy it is better (for your career) to hit another vessel while following instructions than to make a decision to avoid it, or even worse wake up the captain to ask for new instructions.

3. My Alter Ego

Is this the same Royal Navy that had a drone land on it recently?

1. Chris G

"Is this the same Royal Navy that had a drone land on it recently?"

Drone! Not a cricket ball, duh!

2. herman

I think that toy was the first and only aircraft on the Queen Lizzie carrier and will be for some time...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Best Korea has a hamster powered drone capable of carrying a payload that can take out the internet.

According to fox news who are the bastion of accurate and unbiased news reporting.

It's a sad day in the UK as we no longer get to see that "news" channel.

4. Nick Z

People should be free to decide for themselves what is propaganda

Calling a news source propaganda is a political opinion, rather than fact.

You could say that vast majority of western news outlets are propaganda. Because they all have advertisements, which is commercial propaganda designed to influence people's behavior.

And of course, there is lots of political propaganda in western news outlets too. Because most of them take sides in political issues, rather than just report on what's going on.

It's true that there lots of propaganda everywhere. But to call China's news sources propagandist, while claiming that you are better than them is a form of hypocrisy.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: People should be free to decide for themselves what is propaganda

Well, looky who's been drinking the Kool Aid. Yes, let's pretend that the press in countries where the government directly controls the media, and where journalists who criticize the government are jailed or worse, is completely equivalent to the press in countries where freedom of the press is constitutionally guaranteed, and where journalists delight in using that freedom to criticize the government. Brilliant!

What you seem to be missing is that in functioning democracies, sure, elements of the media will lean politically one way or the other, and may be willing to publish articles spun a particular way, but there are other elements of the media with the opposite political leaning to counter that output. Who in China is countering that the government-run agencies put out, hmm?

1. Nick Z

Privately owned news companies aren't any more democratic than is the Chinese government

I wouldn't call private companies that own and run western news outlets 'functioning democracies'.

They aren't any more functioning democracies than is the Chinese government. And they are the ones who decide what to write and how to write it.

I don't see what democracy has to do with privately owned news companies doing whatever they want within the limits of the law.

The workplace is not a democracy. This is a common saying. Which is true. And it applies to news companies too.

2. Youngone Silver badge

Re: People should be free to decide for themselves what is propaganda

@ A/C

While your point is valid, in the Democracy that I live in the Government controls the media not by jailing journalists, but by refusing them access if their questions become uncomfortable.

They have also allowed the consolidation of media ownership to the point where there are two media owners in the country. They own all of the newspapers (bar two regional titles), all of the commercial radio stations, and all of the TV channels. (The exception being a really poorly run state owned channel).

Ironically the only independent news organisation is a state owned radio network, which has had it's funding frozen for the last 10 years, as they continue to ask uncomfortable questions.

5. Roland6 Silver badge

What is a 'drone'?

"The claim of having a drone capable of carrying a 200kg payload is quite a stretch, ...

Last month the Financial Times reported that JD.com operates, by its own account, 60 drone routes in remote areas of the Sichuan, Jiangsu and Shaanxi provinces. These are said to operate along pre-programmed flight corridors"

Given the use of flight corridors and remote areas, I suspect the drones being referred to are unmanned aircraft. As for questions of size, I'm sure if someone is prepared to pay, Boeing would deliver a 747 drone...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What is a 'drone'?

Right? A lot of real piloted helicopters don't have a turbine. Just the high end ones...

1. Eddy Ito

Meh, there's the MQ-8 Fire Scout which can carry more than that and has a turbine engine. There's also the slightly earlier Hummingbird by Boeing. I think my personal favorite is the Snowgoose simply because it's different even if it doesn't have a turbine engine.

1. imanidiot Silver badge

Even earlier than that there was the Gyrodyne QH-50 DASH. The version actually deployed also used a turbine.

6. WolfFan Silver badge

Bah

Ancient news. The US military has been experimenting with 'drones' capable of delivering large amounts of explosives for nearly 100 years now. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kettering_Bug and they have one capable of delivering 450 kg right now, though admittedly only once per 'drone'. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomahawk_(missile) The Chinese have a long way to go if they mean to catch up.

1. AbortRetryFail

Re: Bah

It's a fair point. The word "drone" has traditionally always meant any unmanned aircraft, including fighter jets converted for remote operation for use as target practice (See QF-4 and QF-16).

However, just like the word "hacker" has been reduced to "bad person who breaks into computers" (completely ignoring the original non pejorative meaning) so "drone" as been reduced to mean "quadcopters and other multi-rotor remote controlled aircraft" (seems the mainstream media don't make any distinction there and often call them quadcopters even if they have 6 or even 8 rotors).

7. mr.K

Am I missing something?

Isn't this technology that has been around for a great while already? I really do not see the technical challenge here. Making a small and cheap enough drone that runs on batteries, sure we had to make good enough batteries first. Making large stuff fly we have figured out ages ago, and autonomous we have done for decades.

Sure, there are many more hurdles to overcome like reliability and degrees of autonomy, but actually just getting something to take of, go in a straight line and then land can't be that hard. There are probably a lot of choppers out there that could fly on their own to some degree if you tweak the software and allow them.

Or am I missing something fundamentally here?

1. Martin Gregorie

Re: Am I missing something?

Yes, you are. Making something that can reliably go to a programmed spot and crash or explode is relatively easy, though not cheap. Think cruise missiles, V-1s, etc. - none of them are cheap unless you have a full metal military budget to play with.

The only 'relatively cheap' small drone I'm aware of that can go some place, do something useful, come back and land would be the Aerosonde,

http://www.barnardmicrosystems.com/UAV/milestones/atlantic_crossing_1.html,

originally developed as a reusable meteorological drone that cost $10,000 or less. One flew the Atlantic in 1998, but its latest versions look as though they may be a bit bigger and pricier than the 1994 version. These were launched automatically from a car's roofrack and, although they could land automatically in a large flat field, were typically hand flown for landing if the landing area was small and/or had nearby trees etc. to dodge.

Then there was Maynard Hill's 'Spirit of Butts Farm', which weighed 5kg at launch and crossed the Atlantic in 40 hours in 2003, but it was hand-flown for launch and landing. I think he only lost four before one made it across from Newfoundland to Ireland:

http://www.barnardmicrosystems.com/UAV/milestones/atlantic_crossing_2.html

The problem is landing: launch and flight to a GPS target are fairly simple to automate, but anything that can land to deliver a parcel and then fly home again will need much better AI than anything yet invented if it is to reliably find a suitable place to land at or near its destination and do so regardless of weather or obstacles and without hitting anybody, their pets or moving vehicles.

And you still need some way of stopping light-fingered gentry from nicking the stuff it is delivering, or the entire drone for that matter.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Am I missing something?

Upvoted for referencing a small wholly independent UK company doing interesting stuff.

Anonymous, as subject to various NDA's etc.

8. Jim O'Reilly

Duck!

And next! Amazon will be delivering sofas by air.

Tin helmets, anyone?

Seriously, getting hit by 200 KG from any height would ruin your whole day!

Safety and reliability on drones makes IoT look like a mature technology..

9. Nolveys

We finally have the technology

to, via the air, deliver a standard American person 200km. What an age to be alive.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: We finally have the technology

I saw what you did.

No comment.

10. Pirate Dave Silver badge
    Pirate

No...

"Naturally, when one talks about China and drones, one thing immediately springs to mind: their military potential."

No, the thing that immediately springs to mind is "Man, I'm glad my house isn't under the flight path of Chinese-made drones that are carrying 200 Kg of anything." I've seen how long their toy drones last before they shake themselves to death...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: No...

This one has a turbine. It won't really shake. More like explode.

1. Mark 85

I'm think it will still shake. Every drone I've been around has had balance issues with the prop blades.

2. Nolveys
      Windows

"Man, I'm glad my house isn't under the flight path of Chinese-made drones that are carrying 200 Kg of anything."

Coming soon to Harbour Freight! Only $149.99 per unit while supplies last!

1. I3N
        Pint

You mean soft power, cultural heritage centers ... at least that is what I say to the kids when we visit those little pieces of the motherland ...

11. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge
    Terminator

Skynet hunter-killer-aerial coming. Along with vast swarms of Terminators.

The first sign will be that world+dog's IoT tat be going totally berzerk, scrwing thingsn yyp totirnnn

Soon.

12. zhuubaajie

200 kg is 440 lbs., good enough to carry 2 average adults. Think autonomous air taxis. That has a much higher value than delivering goods.

1. YARR

If it loses power, anything carrying people should land in a controlled glide like an autogyro rather than dropping out of the sky. Ideally any quadcopter heavy enough to cause injury should do the same.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That could be a problem. Helicopters can auto-rotate in emergency to slow descent, but their rotors are large and slow. The rotors on quad drones are small and fast. I'm guessing that arrangement might not be within the effective auto-rotation envelope.

1. imanidiot Silver badge

Since multicopter rotors are typically fixed pitch they can't auto rotate even if they were large enough to do so. Without being able to control rotational speed, the rotors would either stall or overspeed.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

Here is my take on the use of the word "Drone"

Since the Chinese government see all their subjects as drones, it would be perfectly logical (to them), to call any human directed aircraft a drone.

(Praying my Chinese wife doesnt read this; I am not sure if she works for the Chinese secret service or not.)

1. 404

Re: Here is my take on the use of the word "Drone"

LOL!

I bet Zuckerburg wonders the same thing - or not, greed is one thing, intelligence is another.

2. I3N
      Coat

Yes, go to sleep one day and wake up in China the next ... or would that be the day after next ....

1. Roland6 Silver badge

>Yes, go to sleep one day and wake up in China the next ... or would that be the day after next ....

Whats the hurry?

one person, 200km - more than enough to get a person from the UK on to, a first destination China, container ship sailing in international waters.

14. Iain
    Black Helicopters

Ummm...

A gas turbine powered drone?

First thought: It's going to be loud!

Second thought: isn't that just another way of describing a remote control or autonomous helicopter?

15. Daedalus
    Boffin

Paging Mr. Robinson....

Check out the specs for the Robinson R22 light heli sometime. Dry wt 400 kg. Max takeoff wt 635 kg. Passengers : 2 plus fuel etc. Range 386 km.

While this doesn't mean the Chinese are talking out their Y-fronts, it shows what we're already able to do. Multi-rotor drones need less control paraphernalia than copters, but smaller props have to work harder for the same amount of lift, and use more power. If the honourable gentlemen produce anything it'll look a lot like a medium copter with four or more rotors, or indeed a lot like some of the existing VTOL drones the military have been keeping quiet about for the last few decades.

16. Chris G

Not a gas turbine?

"JD.com has created a drone with a "hybrid gas-electric engine"

Somehow that doesn't sound much like a gas turbine to me, I tried to find the Xinhua article but so far nothing, I would like to see more info as Gas-electric sounds like a gasoline engine driving electric rotors via a generator/batteries. Still don't see how it could freight 200kgs though, it must be a monster.

Think flying Prius!

17. GrapeBunch

The open skies of enterprise

The possibilities for ransomlair are humongous. Please pay us $5 a month not to be on the noisy flight path. Please pay us $1000 so that our non-exploding but pointy 200 kg cargo may not fall on your roof or through your window. This is almost as good as smart meters!

18. I3N
    Big Brother

Well this should be fun

"The Xinhua news agency, which in its English-language form is little better than a propaganda website along the lines of Russia Today, claims ..."

A few years ago that comment would have produced rants about the opium wars ...

19. 0laf

China has a drone capable of carrying 200kg. I'm sure the US could turn a B52 into a drone if they really wanted and it'll carry 31500kg.

Is it really all that big a deal that China has made a bigger than average remote control plane?

20. David Roberts
    Coat

No problem.

Just join two Chinooks at right angles in the middle.

Simples.

Off to the Drones club as usual ->

21. juice

How effective can commercial-grade drones actually be?

Fundamentally, it feels like there would be a lot of issues around converting a commercial drone into a weapon.

First, navigation. GPS can be spoofed, downgraded or even disabled altogether, and is no real use against moving targets. Remote steering is possible, but can be jammed and is subject to lag - and unless you have some form of swarming technology, you need one warm body per drone. In theory, you could give a drone optical sensors and image recognition technology, or even have someone plant a beacon for a drone to home in on, but even those are subject to spoofing and jamming.

Then, there's range. A quick glance at Google indicates that commercial drone control range generally tops out at around 1km - though there is mention of one with a 7km range. Equally, flight time tops out at 15-30 minutes. I'd guess that this gas-turbine fuelled beastie may be capable of much more, but even then, it's unlikely to compare to a dedicated missile platform.

And there's more: commercial drones aren't designed to have a low radar profile, they're not designed for flying in adverse weather, they don't have systems redundancy, they don't have any defensive capabilities, they only have short range collision avoidance sensors, they're unarmored, they're not EMP hardened, etc.

Some of these things can be addressed as technology improves, or even retro-fitted on, but fundamentally, there's significant differences between the capabilities required for military and commercial activities.

Personally I think commercial-grade drones will take on a much smaller scale role - e.g. acting as disposable, short range scouts during infantry actions - if you're not too worried about making your presence known, they're perfect for city clearances and building searches. It's even possible that they could be used as beacons for their larger and more heavily armed military cousins...

22. Alan Edwards

3.4m long?

The gas-turbine motor alone is 3.4m long? Does this "drone" happen to have a human pilot and a couple of machine guns too :)

The gas-turbine engine in Rover's experimental turbine car was tiny, smaller than a petrol engine and produced a hundred and something horsepower.

Maybe they mean the entire craft is 3.4m long?

23. martinusher Silver badge

Careful!

News outlets like Russia Today and the Xinhua are obviously going to present stories that present their countries in a favorable light but as the BBC figured out almost a century ago the essence of credibility is to only present stories that are more or less factually correct. So I'd assume that this oversized quadcopter does exist and it probably works. The technological hurdle they've got to overcome is being able to rapidly adjust the thrust on each propeller, its how you keep the thing stable. This is pretty straightforward with a lightweight device with responsive electrically powered motors but it won't scale too well. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if they were the only people working on this.

If you look at the amount of high end work coming out of China (rather than the latest sneaker knock-offs) then you'll see some pretty sophisticated work going on in that country. We should resist the temptation to smirk because we're so superior.....

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like