back to article Trump-hating Iranian is the new Uber CEO

Following a selection process as chaotic and flawed as its own corporate culture, Uber has finally selected a new CEO: current Expedia boss Dara Khosrowshahi. Khosrowshahi (kosh-row-sha-he) is significantly lower-profile than others who were apparently on the sort list for the top job, including Meg Whitman of HP and GE former …

1. Oh Homer
    Trollface

Clearly Muslims hate America...

Which is why they flee their Muslim regimes and flock there to be paid huge salaries, fully embracing the American Dream® of worker exploitation.

BCC: D. Trump.

2. Herby

Uber...San Francisco...

...Trump bashing...

Nothing to see here, please go away.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Uber...San Francisco...

I disagree. Typically the people who really dislike Uber also really dislike Trump. I'm hoping to see some nice, juicy, agonizing reappraisal (of Uber at least).

1. Hollerithevo

I don't care who is running Uber. I still hate it.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Why? is it that the whole concept is wrong? Or just that it's being run badly? If it's the second reason, why wouldn't a change in leadership possibly fix that?

And if it's the first, why is the concept so wrong?

1. Keven E

Nothing wrong with the concept... it's the practice

Three times... just this morning... my public transit bus, trying to use the allotted bus stop, was blocked by an Uber car.

Simple problem: They are driving for commerce - they should have a commercial drivers license (and subject to all else that entails) and perhaps some need to learn how to drive amongst the rest of public transportation.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Nothing wrong with the concept... it's the practice

And if it had been stopped by the normal BMW?

they are driving for commerce - they should have a commercial drivers license

Using a computer for commerce ? Should have a PEng license !

2. Dr. Ellen

Everybody hates Trump - except for the people who voted him in as President.

1. t.

Trump - 306

hillary-232

3. Mark 85

So taking the second paragraph at face value, he was the only one left on the list? A win by default?

1. JimC

A win by default?

Its surely not that unusual for an appointment to be made after all but one of the short list has been crossed off is it?

1. Steve the Cynic

Re: A win by default?

"Its surely not that unusual for an appointment to be made after all but one of the short list has been crossed off is it?"

True, but perhaps a little unusual if *all* the others crossed *themselves* off the short-list.

(Even more so if they crossed *each other* off the list, I guess.)

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"True, but perhaps a little unusual if *all* the others crossed *themselves* off the short-list."

"I have decided not to pursue the role" is up there with "some customers may have been affected", ie it can mean almost anything.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Well it was that or become White House Press Secretary ....

4. Jim Mitchell

"electrical engineering from top-flight Brown University"

Eh, their graduate engineering program is ranked 52nd in https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/brown-university-217156/overall-rankings . Not that it matters, you are never going to meet another Brown EE graduate. It looks like there were only 17 in the class of 2016. Looks like a recent high, too. https://www.brown.edu/academics/engineering/about/enrollment-and-graduation-data

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So. They've stopped hiring loons...

DK is reportedly "Trump-hating", while the quoted tweet from JI says, "I have immense respect [Why??!!??] for the [far too often sleazy] company & [seemingly slime-ball] founders...".

It can only get better. Can't get much worse, unless they start daily cannibalistic rituals.

6. TheElder

Trump is so popular

Rep. Duncan Hunter (R-Calif.) mooned over President Trump to a private group of Republicans on Friday, choosing unconventional words to butter up the commander in chief, The San Diego Union-Tribune reported:

Hunter, one of Donald Trump's first allies in Congress, described the president in profane terms to a group of Republicans on Friday, but also touted the president as their champion.

"He's just like he is on TV,” Hunter, R-Alpine, told the group. "He's an asshole, but he's our asshole." [The San Diego Union-Tribune]

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Trump is so popular

Ancient Antediluvian Array of Assholes on line 1, it would seem they are threatening to sue for defamation.

2. JLV
      Boffin

>"He's an asshole, but he's our asshole."

That's in fact one of the main problems w Trump from the pragmatic Rep viewpoint. He's an asshole, but he's most certainly not their asshole. Witness frequent Twits and press confs that leaves everyone, including his staff, explaining that he didn't really think mean what he said. The poor man has no idea on conscensus or getting actual political work done and risks inflicting lasting brand/schism damage. Remember: whatever opinion you have of America For Whites First, long term demographics do not support its prospects overmuch.

An loose cannon anchor thrown overboard, with the chain snagged onto the mainstream Rep's (does such a thing exist anymore?) foot.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You see everything thru the lens of race, don't you?

It couldn't be that Trump represents the real GOP, as opposed to the old, compromised, leftoid, GOP members. Y'know, the ones who are being rapidly winnowed out at each election? Except in the Senate, due to the huge inertia of that elected body. But even there the writing is on the wall. I predict several old guard GOP (McCain and Flake for starters) will lose primaries to conservative challengers over the coming years.

And I never once brought up race, fancy that! You should try that, JLV.

1. JLV

Dude, wtf you going on about??? I was responding to TheElder's "our asshole". Where do you fit in?

No, actually, I don't see everything in terms of race. I happen to think white identity politics is not a good long term sell point for the GOP , simply due to more Hispanics, Asians, etc voters coming in. That and many younger whites are less likely interested. Didnt work well for California Reps did it?

Am I heavily concerned about racism? Most of the time, not really. Unless there isnsomething egregious like police shootings of unarmed black men or the like. But it's hard to argue that race isn't front and center of many of Trump fans concerns. Have no idea if it's your concern or not, dont care.

Bottom line: Trump is pretty useless now, whether or not racism enters into it. Partially because I think the Tea Party twats (like you) totally fucked up Republicanism and are gradually making it inelectable, which is regrettable for democratic alternance. And long term, that type of marketing is gonna bite the Reps.

7. Mark Exclamation

Typical US corporate way of life....

"In addition to having a reputation for being a bullying, sexist place to work, Uber faces countless lawsuits for trying to jam its way into unwelcome markets, screw both its customers and its drivers, and develop numerous systems that targeted rivals and critics." - A few people at the top make $hundreds of millions at the expense of many employees and customers. Need some more $millions? Screw a few more staff and/or customers. Not making enough $millions? Move to another company, take a multi-million $payout, and try again. Rinse and repeat.

The USA is probably the best place in the world for multi-millionaires and billionaires, but if you have no money you might as well be living in a 3rd world country, such as North Korea.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Typical US corporate way of life....

Not at all. It doesn't matter how poor you are here in the USA, you're still allowed to bad-mouth any and all politicians with impunity.

Freedom of Speech might not put food on the table, but the lack of that freedom doesn't improve anything ...

1. Roj Blake Silver badge
        Coat

Re: Freedom of Speech

"What's it like, living in a country with no freedom of speech?"

"Mustn't grumble."

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

You don't even need to insult him to get arrested.

Press freedom advocates condemn arrest of journalist in West Virginia

3. Warm Braw

the lack of that freedom doesn't improve anything

If "freedom" doesn't change anything, its benefit is merely hypothetical.

4. Hollerithevo

You'll die of untreated cancer, you'll gently starve most of your life, you'll live in unsafe, nasty housing, but you have the dignity of free speech. Let's hope that last isn't taken away, but with the police able to buy military equipment again, I can't help but get a Belarus vibe from the future.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

but with the police able to buy military equipment again, I can't help but get a Belarus vibe from the future

It'd be nice to see the goons in blue called up and sent out to 'Stan (or South Korea). The excuse could be their "familiarity with both military hardware and civil peacekeeping", but the good thing would be that the US population would be safer with the Hill Street Gunslingers out of the country. A side benefit would be that most of the gung-ho bully boys would shit their pants at the prospect of having to fight armed opponents.

I guess that all the SWAT teams in the entire land wouldn't form a useful military asset, but maybe they could be used as cannon fodder against the Taliban - they do all say they want to fight terrists.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Obama preferred that old military hardware go to federal agencies that don't actually need it. Just to give the bureaucrats some real teeth, don't you know. Those same entrenched bureaucrats are now fighting to destroy the elected President. I think it's better that police men and women at the point of the spear get that stuff, not a bunch of jumped up, unelected oligarchs.

BTW, about that reporter that's being persecuted by the Trump admin just for "asking questions," I found this at the Washington Post:

A day earlier, Price and Kellyanne Conway, special counsel to the president, had been walking through a hallway in the West Virginia state capitol when veteran reporter Heyman began following alongside him, holding up his phone to Price while attempting to ask him a question.

Heyman repeatedly asked the secretary whether domestic violence would be considered a preexisting condition under the Republican bill to overhaul the nation’s health care system, he said.

“Do you think that’s right or not, secretary?” Heyman asked, according to a recording an audio recording Heyman provided to The Washington Post. “You refuse to answer? Tell me no comment.”

A male voice is heard telling Heyman, “Do not get close to her. Back up.”

Moments later, an officer in the capitol pulled Heyman aside, handcuffed him and arrested him. Heyman was jailed on the charge of willful disruption of state government processes and was released later on $5,000 bail.

Yep, sure sounds like he was "just doing his job," which apparently involves pushing thru the cops to badger a politician with gotcha questions in a very insulting manner. The tabloid reporters have more decorum.

An asshole is an asshole. Getting ones self arrested and proclaiming victimhood doesn't change that.

1. Someone Else Silver badge

@ Big John

An asshole is an asshole.

It certainly takes one to know one.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Oh no, I'm pretty sure even non-assholes know when someone else is an asshole.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"but if you have no money you might as well be living in a 3rd world country, such as North Korea."

yep, i remember just last week when we were all lined up and shot, and several generations of our families imprisoned, for mouthing off about the supreme leader.

3. big_D Silver badge

The problem with Uber is that they act like stereotypical American tourists, they come to a new country and say that they can ignore rules and operate illegally, because they are American...

8. Mystic Megabyte
    Stop

All hail the new leader

Good luck to Khosrowshahi but I have no intention of using Uber.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

He hates Trump...

...so we can forgive Uber. Left wing logic at its finest. Still the millennials ('generation caring') who provide all of Uber's income must be feeling a little more justified now, which is nice.

1. Hollerithevo

Re: He hates Trump...

No, we can't forgive Uber. Once it stops being a sleazy put of creepiness, stops endangering a dripping off its passengers, and stops grinding down its drivers, maybe we can.

10. dc_m

still never any cars in my town so I'll stick with the local cab company thanks!

1. Mark 85

No Uber here yet the app is popping up on cell phones all over town. Is this foreshadowing maybe?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

CV improvement

I knew an accountant who went to work for Safeway just before it went bust, because he said he wanted experience of receivership on his CV. Perhaps that's the logic.

12. Valerion

$95m

So he got $95m to tie him there until 2020?

And now he's leaving in 2017.

Does he have to give it back?

1. anothercynic Silver badge

Re: $95m

Since the $95 million are stock options, chances are that the options won't vest, and he won't be any the richer ($95 million) or any the poorer (his standard salary). He doesn't care, chances are Uber (*gag*) offered him enough to swallow that loss.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: $95m @anothercynic

chances are that the options won't vest, and he won't be any the richer

I'm sure that's correct, but why is he walking away from $95m that if he simply keeps his arse in the big chair at Expedia, is all but banked? The curse of Uber shows that he's taking a very high risk job, in a company that doesn't appear to want to change, and has a huge list of really big problems to address. So even if they promise him $200m, that's just a promise without certainty.

I think I'm out-cynicing you today, because I think the man leapt before he could be pushed. Expedia's stock performance has been very good, but not sector leading, but I'm wondering if he knew something that outsiders don't, or if there's a boardroom coup in the offing (which rarely have much to do with corporate performance).

1. anothercynic Silver badge

Re: $95m @anothercynic

@Ledswinger, chapeau.

13. Robert Moore
    Paris Hilton

WTF

As I recall, one of the biggest issues with Uber, was institutional sexism.

So they bring in an Iranian man to run the company, because Iranian men are known throughout the world for their legendary respect for women.

For the record, I do not know the person in question, and for all I know he could be a paragon of virtue who loves and respects all women everywhere. It just seems funny to me.

I was expecting Uber to go the other way, and hire a female CEO.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Throatwobbler Mangrove

Re: WTF

"Iran was a rather advanced Western style civilised country."

In addition to containing a possible oxymoron, this is just nonsense. Iran in 1953 was an overwhelmingly underdeveloped country with an illiteracy rate of 60%+.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I was expecting Uber to go the other way, and hire a female CEO.

Alas, all the available women were too busy cleaning the Uber office.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like