back to article Sysadmins told to update their software or risk killing the internet

The world's internet providers and sysadmins need to make sure they are running up-to-date software or they risk cutting their customers off from the internet in October, DNS overseer ICANN has warned. Following a process that started back in May 2016, the cryptographic keys that secure the foundations of the domain name …

1. Dwarf
    Trollface

I feel the need to raise a change request

I wonder how much fun we can have with this within corporate change systems

Scope

External change - Internet reboot

(I know, but its more accurate than many changes I've seen go through)

Detail

Following the request from many users across multiple companies to "Reboot the Internet" when they can't get to their favourite cat pictures site, ICANN has decided to reboot the name servers that hold the Internet together for the first time in history, this will cause a rolling reboot of the whole Internet aligned to each time zone.

Risk

Everything breaks, the Internet won't work, Facebook will not work, outbreaks of work will occur.

Rollback

None - break out the paper and pencils and revert to the old ways of working

Demonstration of Pre-Prod testing

None - there is no Pre-prod Internet, it was de-scoped as it cost too much.

It's got to be worth a try ..

1. jtaylor

Re: I feel the need to raise a change request

BAHAHAHA. Brilliant!

DNS is such a live wire that I once submitted a change request where the risk was "all zones are corrupted, Company services go offline, customers fail to make payroll, and Company never recovers."

2. Mark 85
      Pint

@Dwarf -- Re: I feel the need to raise a change request

It's worth a shot just to submit the paperwork... Have a cold one!

3. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Coat

I like your mindset. The risk is acceptable, let's have a proactive win-win fast-track results-driven solution.

4. Stevie
      Pint

I'm gonna print that post and stick it to the desks of everyone currently trying put ServiceNow for the first time in our site.

They need a reason to laugh non-maniacally.

2. FlamingDeath Silver badge

What?

"At that point, anyone who doesn't use it will find themselves effectively cut off from the internet."

That's some exageration right there. DNS is not required for the internet to work. Sure stuff will break because of its reliance on DNS, but the whole of the internet? seriously? it will just cut you off? lol

You're wrong

1. jtaylor

Re: What?

"That's some exageration right there. DNS is not required for the internet to work. Sure stuff will break because of its reliance on DNS, but the whole of the internet? seriously? it will just cut you off? lol"

You'd be surprised* how few Internet services use hardcoded IP addresses. How load balancers rely on DNS. And web sites and email. And database connectors, monitoring, backups, host administration, logging, IDP, and cloud...everything. Yes, the Internet relies on DNS resolution.

*not many would be surprised, but clearly you would be.

1. Orv Silver badge

Yes, but how many of them require DNSSEC specifically, and can't fall back to plain old DNS? I don't think I've ever configured DNSSEC for a domain.

1. hmv

It's not just DNSSEC for a domain that would break.

It's any host resolution where DNSSEC verification is turned on; I can't remember what the default is on BIND, but any competent DNS admin would have turned that on ages ago.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Unless site is using multiple IP to serve same domain then entry in host file will allow access.

Those that do use multiple IP for same domain (load balancing) mostly still allow you to pick your own if required so hostfile will still work. If anyone can thinks otherwise post up the domain

I am all for encrypting DNS traffic but if the entities you do not wish to see that traffic get default access then truely what is the point

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

It's for verification of data - ie: to prove that the ip address the DNS server gave you hasn't been altered in transit.

2. Anonymous Coward Silver badge
      Facepalm

"will find themselves effectively cut off from the internet."

EFFECTIVELY

As in, not actually cut off but as-good-as

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

yes because you can switch DNS provider. So you are not actually cut off, but for most non techies, you may as well be. Or you could use IP addresses.

So perfectly valid.

3. FlamingDeath Silver badge
      Coat

hmv - "It's not just DNSSEC for a domain that would break. It's any host resolution where DNSSEC verification is turned on"

I beg to differ that that is even an issue

https://dnssec-name-and-shame.com

Anonymous Coward - "Unless site is using multiple IP to serve same domain then entry in host file will allow access"

Are we talking about the Internet, ie the whole Internet, or are we talking about the WWW? Because the title says "Sysadmins told to update their software or risk killing the internet" and it only mentions the word web once.

jtaylor - "You'd be surprised* how few Internet services use hardcoded IP addresses. How load balancers rely on DNS. And web sites and email. And database connectors, monitoring, backups, host administration, logging, IDP, and cloud...everything. Yes, the Internet relies on DNS resolution."

Ok fair point, but, and I may be clutching at straws here, but would these "workarounds" that you just described be an issue with IPv6?

:p

3. Chronos

BIND >9.7

Trivially simple. Ditch your old static trusted-key stanza for "." and add:

managed-keys {

"." initial-key 257 3 8

"AwEAAagAIKlVZrpC6Ia7gEzahOR+9W29euxhJhVVLOyQbSEW0O8gcCjF

FVQUTf6v58fLjwBd0YI0EzrAcQqBGCzh/RStIoO8g0NfnfL2MTJRkxoX

bfDaUeVPQuYEhg37NZWAJQ9VnMVDxP/VHL496M/QZxkjf5/Efucp2gaD

X6RS6CXpoY68LsvPVjR0ZSwzz1apAzvN9dlzEheX7ICJBBtuA6G3LQpz

W5hOA2hzCTMjJPJ8LbqF6dsV6DoBQzgul0sGIcGOYl7OyQdXfZ57relS

Qageu+ipAdTTJ25AsRTAoub8ONGcLmqrAmRLKBP1dfwhYB4N7knNnulq

QxA+Uk1ihz0=";

};

Do it now before the rollover window closes. You need 30 days of old ZSK signed new ZSK (read that carefully, the new ZSK is pre-published signed by the old one) for this to work.

I must confess I scrabbled around in my /etc/bind before finding I'd done it in 2013 :-)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: BIND >9.7

I think this is the new key:

# This key (20326) is to be published in the root zone in 2017.

# Servers which were already using the old key (19036) should

# roll seamlessly to this new one via RFC 5011 rollover. Servers

# being set up for the first time can use the contents of this

# file as initializing keys; thereafter, the keys in the

# managed key database will be trusted and maintained

# automatically.

. initial-key 257 3 8 "AwEAAaz/tAm8yTn4Mfeh5eyI96WSVexTBAvkMgJzkKTOiW1vkIbzxeF3

+/4RgWOq7HrxRixHlFlExOLAJr5emLvN7SWXgnLh4+B5xQlNVz8Og8kv

ArMtNROxVQuCaSnIDdD5LKyWbRd2n9WGe2R8PzgCmr3EgVLrjyBxWezF

0jLHwVN8efS3rCj/EWgvIWgb9tarpVUDK/b58Da+sqqls3eNbuv7pr+e

oZG+SrDK6nWeL3c6H5Apxz7LjVc1uTIdsIXxuOLYA4/ilBmSVIzuDWfd

RUfhHdY6+cn8HFRm+2hM8AnXGXws9555KrUB5qihylGa8subX2Nn6UwN

R1AkUTV74bU=";

1. Chronos

Aye, but you don't want the new key in there yet if managed-keys is going to work its magic. Right now the new key is in the prepublication state, i.e. published but signed with the old KSK and not being used to sign the ZSK(s). You have until 11th September (a significant date I can only assume was chosen to make it extremely easy to remember) to get your managed-keys stanza into your config.

After this date, I suspect you'll have to manually intervene with the new key because the new ZSK won't have been published and signed, as far as your named is concerned, for the required 30 days but using managed-keys will future-proof the setup.

2. Nate Amsden

The article isn't quite clear to me - seems as if this is specific to DNSSEC ? if I just grep for the word key in my bind 9.8 config there are 0 matches(and I have never ever worked with DNSSEC - yes have run authoritative DNS since 1996(for personal stuff, company I work for uses dynect for external DNS hosting) as well as caching DNS for internal stuff)

I read an interesting(perhaps amusing?) post by someone earlier this year that talked about how bad DNSSEC(it went into quite a bit of technical detail why DNSSEC was basically worthless) was and to just not bother with it. Can't find the link at the moment, it was good. Not that I needed convincing to (not) use DNSSEC.

edit: I think this is the link:

https://sockpuppet.org/blog/2015/01/15/against-dnssec/

4. Sierpinski
    IT Angle

Further changes I expect

Nicer ambulances, faster response times, and better looking drivers

1. frank ly

Re: Further changes I expect

What number should I call to get all this?

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

0118 999 881 99 9119 725... 3

(Must contain letters)

1. lukewarmdog
          Pint

Not just 'the' emergency services, they're 'your' emergency services.

5. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

Had to start somewhere.

The days when each server in the chain between you and the actual web site could be implicitly trusted to be who they say they are are long over.

In theory all ISP's have had plenty of time to prep for this.

In practice I expect it will show who are the clueful and who the lazy, greedy or merely stupid.

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
      Happy

Re: Had to start somewhere.

So that's Comcast and BT off - the rest of the world should be fine

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Had to start somewhere.

Just to put this in context.

Samples of the new £1 coins and £5 notes were avaible to companies involved in making and mainting coin operated devices for over 6 months (I'm sure I saw a quote from Royal Mint saying it was actually 18 months, but I can't find that).

100% were ready on day one weren't they?

6. just_me

Umm.. article is not completely accurate.

The article is not completely accurate and almost reads as if DNS records are 'encrypted' by a new key that makes any use of the record impossible if the client does not have the new key. This is inaccurate. A reading of DNSSEC would have been a good idea.

DNSSEC sends out the standard DNS records, however there is an additional 'signing' portion, which is signed by the new asymmetric key. The actual record DNS is still in clear-text.

The only problem can occur when a DNS server caches or resolves requests as in a corporation. A problem occurs if the client machines in the corporation are expecting DNSSEC, but the corporate DNS server does not speak DNSSEC. If, on the other hand, the internal corporate client machines don't expect DNSSEC, there would not be a problem with DNS record look-ups. The only risk would be the potential spoofing of DNS records - which is the current case (and why DNSSEC was brought about). NOTE: It would be a good idea to do the update though.

NOTE: There is another scenario that would be of concern for a corporate DNS server. On an outward facing corporate DNS server sends records ie. for authoritive MTA, there would be a problem when the systems of other corporations are expecting DNSSEC on a MTA lookup, while the target corporation is not updated to talk DNSSEC. For the most part though, most corporations do not advertise/map/expose their internal hostname-address mapping outside of their internal subnet, except for machines on their Demilitarized zone.

7. iron Silver badge

"They could of course figure out a way around it, but that would be a lot of effort for absolutely no good reason."

Really? Changing your DNS settings to another provider is sooooo hard and time consuming.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I am guessing...

...that BT's DNS will be therefore hosed.

1. Chronos
      Devil

Re: I am guessing...

...and nobody will notice the difference.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

fragmentation...

well UDP could be an issue... wonder how many firewalls allow TCP on port 53 ?

10. a_mu

windows 2K

Just a wonder,

if a company was say running a windows 2000 server , or windows XP machines, !!

would this be another problem ?

1. Lord_Beavis
      Trollface

Re: windows 2K

"if a company was say running a windows 2000 server , or windows XP machines, !!"

Then they get what's coming to them...

11. hellwig

Simple Fix

If everyone just used Google's DNS servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. if you forgot), then we could just let Google worry about this for us.

And the best part is, there are no downsides, because Google ALREADY knows everything you do. EVERYTHING!!!!

1. Agamemnon

Re: Simple Fix

I'm giving you an UpVote before the "DON'T USE GOOGLE DNS! ARE YOU EFFING *MAD*?!?" crowd arrives.

Those are really useful, and, as was pointed out above, it's (Not Bloody Difficult) easy to change DNS really fast, and for a short period of time.

I run my own DNS (my personal stuff, my company, the better-half's company, our client's companies, &c.), and we use DNSSec...but really:

1. Patch, patch, patch yer' crap. Just keep up on BIND and you're mostly home.

2. It's {severely edited for length and *cough* content} time those keys were changed.

3. If it all goes Pear, we can all take a holiday while ICANN(ot) and/or $ISP get their shit together (and wouldn't That be nice?).

1. Lord_Beavis
        Trollface

Google DNS?!?!? Are you mad?!?!?

2. patrickstar

I'd rather eat my own appendages than run BIND anywhere for any reason.

And what problem does DNSSEC solve exactly?

The endemic DNS spoofing problems of old are basically worked around since many years. And I'm assuming admins generally don't want to fiddle around physically at HSMs when making DNS changes, so the keys for most zones are likely to be accessible if you compromise the relevant servers/admin workstations.

I consider DNS to essentially be part of untrusted transport. We have fixed the whole issue of untrusted transport by applying cryptographic protocols on top of it.

Really, I don't want a frigging PKI in my DNS.

PS. I certainly don't need to change any keys in any resolver I admin. Though I will have a second look next week to make sure DNSSEC is actually disabled in the few that do support it.

12. ForthIsNotDead

What could possibly go wrong?

<weg> :-)

13. Lord_Beavis
    Joke

Instructions unclear

I put my dick on the Internet.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like