back to article Bizzby balls-up: Handyman app spams customer's details to world+dog

Handyman-finding UK app Bizzby appears to have sent a number of people an unsolicited email containing the full name and address of one of its subscribers. Bizzby managed to send the details of “Reuben,” including his name and home address, to an as-yet unidentified number of people in its email database. Bizzby badness. …

1. Steve K

Don't look behind the curtain!!

If they really got $10m VC funding AND their back-end tradesperson matching system is just based on an email list then we are definitely approaching dotcom meltdown 2.0.

Someone may want back what's left of their VC funds pretty soon.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Don't look behind the curtain!!

"Someone may want back what's left of their VC funds pretty soon."

Looking at Companies House data, appears they'd burned about £4.5m by the end of June last year, at a rate of about £1m a year. So assuming they're now at around £6m of cash frittered, at a rate of 1.3 that's $8m gone up in smoke.

A VC and his money are soon parted, it would seem.

2. Mark 65

Re: Don't look behind the curtain!!

I think we just witnessed the end of their business.

2. Daedalus

"Reuben" was the name of the monkey.

3. Winkypop Silver badge
    Flame

Yeah yeah

But did Reuben get his frikken thermostat fitted or not?

4. Richard Jones 1
    WTF?

Help Wanted

Bizzby are urgently seeking a trained (or possibly untrained but still warm) person so sort out, maybe even create a system to keep their business IT system afloat.

5. anthonyhegedus Silver badge

I got my Reuben-needs-a-thermostat email at 15:52 and by 16:16 I got an apology email.

Also the last marketing communication I got from them was at the end of August 2015, so they're not exactly prolific. I believe First Utility have some kind of 'partnership' going with them.

6. Stevie

Bah!

Huh.

"Bizby" was the name of the derogatory Buzby parody used by the illegal CB radio enthusiast media* during the years when the GPO still had a stranglehold on interpersonal radio communication.

He was a showcase for incompetence and clueless blundering.

Perhaps a more fortunate name would have been in order.

* - So I'm told**

** - By others

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like