back to article HPE sales chief Peter Ryan abandons ship amid downsizing ploy

HPE global sales chieftan Peter Ryan has quit the company after just over a year of relentless travel away from his family in the UK. In an internal mail seen by The Reg, Antonio Neri, EVP and general manager of HPE's Enterprise Group, wrote: It's with mixed emotions that I announce Peter Ryan is leaving HPE on September 1. …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmm - selling involves travel doesn't it?

...and he would have known that being chief sellie would involve more travel, would he?

"Rat" and "sinking ships" comes to mind...

1. Notas Badoff

Re: Hmm - selling involves travel doesn't it?

I once moved into a position where they said it would involve no more than 50% travel. After a couple years I was only 'off', not traveling, two weeks a year. I think that was called 'vacation'.

(The position move was a conscious decision, "if I'm traveling: 1) they can't find me to layoff, 2) I'm saving some VPs reputation (bullet-proofing), 3) I'm saving some customer's production (bullet-proofing), and 4) I can look around outside the company." It worked, but only in the sense that *I* got to pick when to leave.)

2. luis river

my bet new director

Opportunity for new, habil, conciliative, productive, young but experimented director may be HP´s Gonzalo Usandizaga

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

mixed emotions

It's with mixed emotions

That's classic US manager speak for "Thank God he's going, but I'd better not say that".

1. Fatman
      Joke

Re: mixed emotions

<quote>That's classic US manager speak for "Thank God he's going It's about fucking time, but I'd better not say that".</quote>

FTFY!!!

2. kain preacher

Re: mixed emotions

So what's the UK version. Also "I'm resigning to spend more time with my family" Is US speak for they told me I could resign or be fired.

4. M. B.

Sales speak for "he missed his number and would rather leave on his own than be sent packing". At least this way when the company misses plan for the year, he isn't there to take the fall. When they backfill, the FNG will be viewed as their saviour for a few quarters as well, unless they also fail to perform.

Welcome to sales, here's your quota and your pink slip. Miss the first, sign and date the second.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Scapegoat

Classic corporate exit. "Your fired, so we will send out an email saying that you want to spend more time with your family". HPE sales are probably falling off the cliff, and a scapegoat has been identified for the annual cull of senior executives.

1. Mr Nobody 1

Re: Scapegoat

He is an anomaly. You meant "Annual cull of front line staff"

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It was Neri or Ryan for the top job....

And Neri go the president job, next in line after meg leaves. Ryan didn't so he is going, is my guess. Can't blame him. I worked there for a while and both men are really good guys and talented execs in a really bad situation. HPE is screwed. Losing Peter Ryan is a loss for HPE. Peter Ryan will be an asset no matter where he goes.

8. Brotherinlaw

HP Loses Another Good Manager

My spouse used to work for Peter Ryan at HP. He was a stand-up guy. Smart, hard-working, good with people, non-political, unflappable. With all the senior managers from HP over the years who have resigned, or been forced out for not making their numbers, when is it going to be admitted that perhaps the problem with HP is at the very top. Bribing stock holders with dividends to keep the stock price up while laying off boatloads of employees and selling off the assets that previous management teams have accumulated is not a strategy. In fact, it is so counter-productive that it makes all the managers trying to implement that strategy seem incompetent, whether they are or not.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: HP Loses Another Good Manager

It's not managers they need, it's leaders!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My heart bleeds!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like